Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Just wanted to make sure, can I just get these up north in phones4U.
    Was going to be heading up next week so this would be very nice. Also, can I pick up a few? A couple of friends might be interested.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭christyden

Did anyone who reserved in Argos for tomorrow get a code? I got an email but no code...

Hi,

I gave up on amazon. I ordered this and they deliver in 48 hrs. Use parcel motel but you have to put your ID in words like two two five five etc.

129 sterling works out cheaper than amazon anyway.

http://www.phones4u.co.uk/shop/shop_justphones_sub.asp?ManKey=2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

christyden wrote: »
    Hi,

I gave up on amazon. I ordered this and they deliver in 48 hrs. Use parcel motel but you have to put your ID in words like two two five five etc.

129 sterling works out cheaper than amazon anyway.

http://www.phones4u.co.uk/shop/shop_justphones_sub.asp?ManKey=2

Any further details on this? Their billing form seems to indicate that they don't deliver to "funny" addresses.

Phones 4 u a no go! Got email saying order was cancelled. Name and address must match the card used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 evifeno

Amazon updated their status to 'Preparing for Dispatch' for anyone who wants to know. Although they've been preparing for a while now...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

evifeno wrote: »
    Amazon updated their status to 'Preparing for Dispatch' for anyone who wants to know. Although they've been preparing for a while now...

That's a good sign surely?
    A lot of times Amazon delivery early so here's hoping ;)

That's a good sign surely?
    A lot of times Amazon delivery early so here's hoping ;)

Got an email this morning from Amazon. Expected arrival of the phone is the 3rd/4th of December. I pre ordered on the 14th of November for anyone that wants to know.

W00T yeah almost there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Amazon have the 8GB in stock and ready to ship right now. Not sure how long they'll have stock so be quick if you want one. Still no change on the 16GB but I've got one pre-ordered and am in no rush as long as it comes before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Dudda wrote: »
    even if you have a magic phone with 1TB of storage.

Somebody will dig up this thread in three years time whilst browsing the web with their 1TB phone :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Somebody will dig up this thread in three years time whilst browsing the web with their 1TB phone :p

the trend actually seems to be going the other way, store your data in the cloud (or use cloud services like Spotify and Netflix) and upgrade the connectivity to the device.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Some reviews cropping up from some of the big tech websites last few hours. All giving great reports! :D

Dispatched!

Dispatched!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Dispatched!

Which one did you order?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Tesco direct have it for 129, with a discount code TDXR-P3Q4 for 15 off.
    But none in stock now.
    :-(

So it seems that only meteor, and maybe tesco will be selling the Moto G to the irish market?
    I just need a new phone in the next couple of months- have a HTC sensation that the cover came loose on and I lost reception, so I stuck it back together with sugru. It probably has a couple of months, and I really don't want to get caught up in a 24 month, super expensive contract (particularly when you look at Adrian Wreckler's calculations in the weekend papers) but, am I better off waiting a couple of months to buy the Moto G here or maybe if amazon reduce it a little?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

fiddlechic wrote: »
    super expensive contract (particularly when you look at Adrian Wreckler's calculations in the weekend papers)

Have you a link for that? Would be interested to have a look.

Tesco direct have it for 129, with a discount code TDXR-P3Q4 for 15 off.
    But none in stock now.
    :-(

So it seems that only meteor, and maybe tesco will be selling the Moto G to the irish market?
    I just need a new phone in the next couple of months- have a HTC sensation that the cover came loose on and I lost reception, so I stuck it back together with sugru. It probably has a couple of months, and I really don't want to get caught up in a 24 month, super expensive contract (particularly when you look at Adrian Wreckler's calculations in the weekend papers) but, am I better off waiting a couple of months to buy the Moto G here or maybe if amazon reduce it a little?

Is that the 16gb or 8gb? If you use your phone much for photos and apps 8GB is not going to last you too long. Its likely that only 6GB of that 8 will actually be free. For around €200 you're not going to get a better phone, you could wait a while and see if it comes down but I would be shocked if Meteor sell it cheaper than Amazon. If you can wait I'd suggest just wait til the rush for the phone dies down, might turn up a little cheaper in the New Year but can't see it getting much cheaper than around €200 for the 16gb.

Is that the 16gb or 8gb? If you use your phone much for photos and apps 8GB is not going to last you too long. Its likely that only 6GB of that 8 will actually be free. For around €200 you're not going to get a better phone, you could wait a while and see if it comes down but I would be shocked if Meteor sell it cheaper than Amazon. If you can wait I'd suggest just wait til the rush for the phone dies down, might turn up a little cheaper in the New Year but can't see it getting much cheaper than around €200 for the 16gb.

It's the 16gb. But seems to be sold out.
    I think I might just wait for January - set that date in my head, and stop looking it up!

• Advertisement

Which one did you order?

8GB Black

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Ordered the 16GB one from Tesco myself this morning.

Didn't use the 15quid off code so it came to 160 euros in total, Sim unlock will cost me another 3 euros so 163.

How bad.

It's the 16gb. But seems to be sold out.
    I think I might just wait for January - set that date in my head, and stop looking it up!

Thats a great deal in fairness. I ordered off Amazon last week as I needed it for a Christmas present and I wanted to be sure I'd get it. Keep an eye on the bargain alerts thread, Tesco seem to be getting in more stock bit by bit so you never know.

Ordered the 16GB one from Tesco myself this morning.

Didn't use the 15quid off code so it came to 160 euros in total, Sim unlock will cost me another 3 euros so 163.

How bad.

Its a great deal allright if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Have an 8GB Nexus and find it fine space wise. Any photos etc are backed up to Google+ and can be removed from the phone. apps are taking up about 2Gb and I have over 100.

Poor article really - not enough info and he speaks of a comparison table which I cant find. maybe its in the printed version. Actually find a lot of tech articles on this site to be poor or even just straight up copies of other articles around the web. Sorry rant over

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Poor article really - not enough info and he speaks of a comparison table which I cant find. maybe its in the printed version. Actually find a lot of tech articles on this site to be poor or even just straight up copies of other articles around the web. Sorry rant over

I read it in the print version - it's not earth shattering, but definitely crystallised the false economy of the phone market for me. I know what I need from a phone. I know exactly how much I use a month. And I don't want to be tied into a 24 month contract, for which I definitely need extra insurance to make sure I can get a phone replacement etc.

The Moto G has everything I need. And I don't need to spend the world to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I read it in the print version - it's not earth shattering, but definitely crystallised the false economy of the phone market for me. I know what I need from a phone. I know exactly how much I use a month. And I don't want to be tied into a 24 month contract, for which I definitely need extra insurance to make sure I can get a phone replacement etc.

The Moto G has everything I need. And I don't need to spend the world to get it.

Agreed.

A few people I know are paying around 60 euros a month to get an iPhone 5s on a 2 year contract.

They go on about getting a bunch of minutes and texts when all they really do is just use Whatspp and Data and barely ring anyone at all.

Was trying to explain to a girl that 60 euros a month over 24 months was 1440 euros and getting an iPhone 5S for 29 euros with this contract was not a good deal.

She went with it anyway and saw it as a bargain as the 16GB was 650 euros without a contract.

Same person also went and upgraded her phone to sell the new phone on donedeal.

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Have an 8GB Nexus and find it fine space wise. Any photos etc are backed up to Google+ and can be removed from the phone. apps are taking up about 2Gb and I have over 100.

Fair enough if it suits your needs but wouldn't be near enough space for me. I've a couple of games on my phone that are over a GB each, stuff like Fifa 2014 is over 1.2GB as is Madden 2014 and several other big games like Shadowrun or Dead Trigger.

Google auto upload is fantastic but if possible I prefer to keep pictures on my phone as well as the cloud, I don't always have internet access, especially if I'm in a pub or something and want to show someone a picture only to see I've no internet access.

I have to ask do you actually use the 100 apps?? I've only got about 50 max and even then I know I could do without several of them installed.

Agreed.

A few people I know are paying around 60 euros a month to get an iPhone 5s on a 2 year contract.

They go on about getting a bunch of minutes and texts when all they really do is just use Whatspp and Data and barely ring anyone at all.

Was trying to explain to a girl that 60 euros a month over 24 months was 1440 euros and getting an iPhone 5S for 29 euros with this contract was not a good deal.

She went with it anyway and saw it as a bargain as the 16GB was 650 euros without a contract.

Same person also went and upgraded her phone to sell the new phone on donedeal.

You're not alone there, I know plenty spending ridiculous amounts a month just to get an iPhone for €99. I can't understand why people don't look at the overall cost of a phone, a lot of the time it makes more sense to pay €199 upfront for the phone plus say €30/month for 18 months than €60/month for 24.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Dispatched!

From Amazon UK? Site still says 12th Dec on the listing!

I rang phones4u in Newry, 200 sterling in store!! 40/50 quid more expensive than online!! But they won't deliver here or to parcel motel

Advertisement