Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Powersteering Fluid in a Golf?

• 08-04-2008 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭

Bought a 2nd hand MKIV Comfortline Golf 1.6 and I'm having trouble finding the powersteering fluid reservoir? As far as I know it has power-steering as I'm shimmying the wheel round like a madman while doing a turnabout.

Also is it possible to buy a new unlocking/alarm fob with a key for the car? I only got one key with the car and the seperate fob is a bit battered, can you get another and what price would I be looking at?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

DSCN2591.jpg

See green cap, it has a steering wheel icon, should be beside the coolant tank. Cap is kind of weird, think you need a screwdriver or pliers to open it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Cool thanks, will have a look in the morning but I can't remember seeing that there when I was looking earlier? Is there a chance an 01 golf does not have power steering?

All Mark 4's have power steering, yours will have it.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Be sure to use the right power steering fluid. A lot of manufacturers recommend automatic transmission fluid (ATF) but this is NOT recommended for any VW Group car - if you use ATF it will p1ss out through the seals of the steering rack. Either get a recommended fluid from a decent motor factors or go to a VW dealer. The part number for the VW fluid is G 002 000.

• Advertisement

BUMP as I have added an extra question :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Also is it possible to buy a new unlocking/alarm fob with a key for the car? I only got one key with the car and the seperate fob is a bit battered, can you get another and what price would I be looking at?

A new remote key is about €180 (coded) from a dealer.

If you can find a fresh looking key in the same shape from any other VW/Audi/SEAT/Skoda you can actually swap the circuit board inside and the key part off the top.

When I got my Skoda the 2 keys were in bits, but a bit of rummaging through the old spare keys in work and I have 2 practically pristine keys ;)

The thing is I currently have a separate key and a fob. Ideally I'd like just one key so my keys aren't massive and bulging in my pocket (there's already enough bulge ;))

180, pricey I'll drop into a dealer over the weekend hopefully. Thanks for the quick response.

If it's a Cobra alarm, which is possibly is, you just need to get another fob and you can manually recode it, see if this is the same as what you have http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COBRA-ALARM-FOB-NEW-PROGRAMMABLE-INSTRUCTIONS_W0QQitemZ130213112405QQihZ003QQcategoryZ75329QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

crosstownk wrote: »
    Be sure to use the right power steering fluid. A lot of manufacturers recommend automatic transmission fluid (ATF) but this is NOT recommended for any VW Group car - if you use ATF it will p1ss out through the seals of the steering rack. Either get a recommended fluid from a decent motor factors or go to a VW dealer. The part number for the VW fluid is G 002 000.

I was wondering why there was no sign of "ATF" on the pic posted by Tipsy Mac. That answers it!

• Advertisement

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    If it's a Cobra alarm, which is possibly is, you just need to get another fob and you can manually recode it, see if this is the same as what you have http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COBRA-ALARM-FOB-NEW-PROGRAMMABLE-INSTRUCTIONS_W0QQitemZ130213112405QQihZ003QQcategoryZ75329QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That is indeed the current fob I have. But as I said I'd rather one that is the key aswell, just for size ya know.

But then again, 30 euro is alot better than 180...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

That is indeed the current fob I have. But as I said I'd rather one that is the key aswell, just for size ya know.

But then again, 30 euro is alot better than 180...

Cobra is a separate company to VW. I'd be very surprised if your alarm isn't aftermarket, and therefore there is no such thing as a key that will operate the alarm (ie one with buttons on the key), unless you fabricate it yourself.

JHMEG wrote: »
    Cobra is a separate company to VW. I'd be very surprised if your alarm isn't aftermarket, and therefore there is no such thing as a key that will operate the alarm (ie one with buttons on the key), unless you fabricate it yourself.

Okey dokey, anyone know how much is would cost to get a seperate key cut? I think I'll go the route of a new key and a new fob :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

For the key you could always try Steve Guard. Very professional and highly recommended.

Advertisement