Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Accent Key

• 12-02-2008 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

Trying to sell the girlfriends '99 Hyundai Accent at the moment, but unfortunately she's lost the key.

Rang my local locksmith to get a replacement, and he told me I'd have to get the cutting code from the dealer using the cutting code. Sounds fairly simple and straightforward so far.

Rang the Galway city dealer (who are also Mazda, Honda, and Skoda), and a very rude girl there informed me that I'd have to go in with the VLC and some ID (no problem there), and that the key would cost €80. She then proceeds to tell me that I'd then have to book in the car to get the key coded, which would be another €150 + VAT!!!

When I queried this I was told that it would take an hour and a half to code the key, and that they charge €100 per hour for labour. So that makes the key for a €1,000 car at least €261.50!!! And it doesn't even do remote central locking!!!

She didn't know what a cutting code was.

Funnily enough, the spare key for my BMW from the local dealer was €130 including VAT and coding, and the coding took 2 minutes. And that key does the remote central locking and remote boot opening. Same with Landrover.

When it was pointed out that an Accent key was twice the price of a BMW key, she basically called me a liar!

I'm currently looking for a number for Hyundai Ireland.

This left me shocked and stunned, and not a little bit amazed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Fiach Dubh

Total rip off.

If you have the 5 digit key code Hyundai should be able to send you a new key and they won't need to even see the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Lite sleepeR

Hyundai Ireland Phone no 2405621

an hour and a half is a bit rich most dublin dealers charge 1 hour plus vat for cutting and coding plus the cost of the key

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I have rang Hyundai, who told me that they give a recomended retail price to the dealers, but that in reality the dealers can charge whatever they want. I have to ring back to get the RRP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

I had to get a key cut for my (00) Accent and the cost from a dealer (them cutting and programming ) was ~70. The dealer was in Dublin so no use to you, but 200 quid? Will they buy you dinner first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Ring Hyundai in Belfast. They'll probably send you the key for half the price!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Sorry to bring this back from the dead.

Got on to Costello Motors in Dunmore, Co. Galway, and talked to a guy called Mark in their parts department. Gave him the chassis number and my credit card number, and he posted the key out to the registered owner within about a week. €61 including VAT. No BS at all.

Got on to Collerans Locksmiths in Galway, who came up and coded the key with his tablet diagnostic machine (so much for the girl in Monaghans who told me the car HAD to be brought to the garage as there was no way on earth the machine could be brought to the car). They charged me their callout fee.

So now all sorted for about 40% of what Monaghans quoted me. All that is left to do is find a new home for the car...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

10/1 your girlfriend finds the key next week. Did she look at the bottom of her handbag?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

if there are no other keys present, I think it is a different story. They can't just clone another key with the original.

Coding a Hyundai key doesn't normally take 90 minutes though

Advertisement