Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ford puma??

• 11-04-2008 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

hi was thinking of buying a ford puma,dont know much bout cars so was wondering if anyone had any experience with them?any opinions would be great!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Not too sure what they're like now but weren't the first batch recalled due to the breaks being faulty? I could be wrong but nearly sure I read it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

its a fiesta in a nice body, should be fairly ok mechanicaly

they are a hoot to drive!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 suzy5978

thanks for the replys-tink im definatley goin to buy it.3500 for a 00.hav a banger at d minute so its a step up 4 me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Quick search of the motors section seems to suggest timing belt and engine issues: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=1539761
    I know someone who had one, they had to replace the engine at a very low milage, they ended up trading it in when the new engine started giving trouble. (lady owner, didn't rev the nuts/abuse it before anyone asks!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Go for a 1.7 if you can - great craic, like a go-kart!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

there was a version with a lovely body-kit had wide arches and looked WRC-ish not sure if this was a bigger engine version or anything or if it was an after market add-on :confused:
    allways loved the look of them

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

That was a Puma Racing (or was it Racing Puma?). An uprated car all around and very expensive new and now.

I drove a 8 year old 1.7 recently and it's great fun. Lovely revvy but sweet motor, fine handling.

I'd love to import one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

landydef wrote: »
    there was a version with a lovely body-kit had wide arches and looked WRC-ish not sure if this was a bigger engine version or anything or if it was an after market add-on :confused:
    allways loved the look of them

Thats a racing Puma - different of fish really - not for the faint hearted.

Other than that they are superb to drive and look at imo.

There is not a car you could name that someone here on boards wouldn't tell you some horror story they know a man who knows a man who had one sort of rubbish.

There is a LOT more to a car than its reliability, and the Puma is head and shoulders better than anything equivelant.
    Enjot:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Well aint the glass half empty Rob?!
    Could be worse you could be after an Opel Tigra. Now there is a piece of shi*.
    All cars have there reliablity issues.
    Have it checked out first properly by a mechanic you can trust and do a motorcheck.
    Hopefully this will throw up any issues.

Does the AA still do this for a fixed fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

The Puma is a great car.Theyre such fun to drive, pretty comfortable and look great. The 1.7 is definitely the one to buy but even the 1.4 is a blast. The girlfriend had one up till feb this year, I kinda regret gettin rid of it i loved taking it for a spin. never had any issues with it

It is deadly important though on the 1.4 that the timing belt has been done before 60,000 miles and that it has been fitted with the new type timing belt tensioner as these used to fail on that engine(which is also in the focus)

• Advertisement
Advertisement