Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Germolene

Options
  • 27-02-2014 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Sad to report that our auld reliable, as in pink ointment called Germolene is no more!! The company that made it was taken over and new product with new name replaces the cream but no more ointment which is far superiour.

Any hidden stocks? please let us know.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I was never keen on Germolene because from my childhood days mother always used Zinc ointment which I felt was a far superior product. They will repackage and rebrand the same ould stuff in a different colour......and smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Used to love the smell of Germolene. Another thing that is gone is Mercurochrome, that lovely red liquid that was applied lavishly on cuts and scrapes. The stain it left on your skin showed you had been in the wars :)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Is mercurochrome related to iodine? My father used swear by the latter and kept a small bottle of liquid in his workshop. Years ago I was recommended to use iodine in gel format (betadine) for a nasty wound on a child. Now it cannot be had over the counter here (but can be got abroad). One reason is that it interfers with other medication/conditions such as warfarin and thyroid. It also causes me to come out in a nasty rash and this relates to celiac disease.

Still hunting for old style ointment.... I found the cream with 'sell by' date of 2015 so am hopeful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Is mercurochrome related to iodine? My father used swear by the latter and kept a small bottle of liquid in his workshop.
    I remember getting bit by a neighbours dog when I was about 6 or 7 and it was fairly deep and painful. The neighbout put iodine on it and sweet Jesus I would have preferred another bite from the dog.

Sharp stuff but good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

We used to use what sounded like acreamicin. It was an antiseptic cream and stopped infections on cuts, hey, I'm still alive!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Sun in Capri

Sudo Cream (not sure about the spelling!) - you can't beat it.

Advertisement