Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Joint custody question

Options
  • 14-07-2015 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if any of you can help me out. My stepsons father is applying for joint custody. He is 11 years old and hates going to stay over 1 night a week. He will be devastated if his father gets joint custody.

Can anyone please give advice asap on how we can go about making sure he does not get joint custody. Its heartbreaking for us all.

Many Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭HelenV

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if any of you can help me out. My stepsons father is applying for joint custody. He is 11 years old and hates going to stay over 1 night a week. He will be devastated if his father gets joint custody.

Can anyone please give advice asap on how we can go about making sure he does not get joint custody. Its heartbreaking for us all.

Many Thanks in advance.

Are you sure it's joint custody and not joint guardianship he's seeking?

Has his natural father ever paid maintenance for his son?

The lad's mother needs to see a solicitor a.s.a.p. The court will now listen to the wishes of the child but I think there is a strong possibility they will grant some form of access to the father as they may see it as in the best longterm interests of the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Jamaican Me Crazy

If you OH and her ex were married then he would automatically have joint custody. If they were never married then it is most likely joint guardianship he is applying for. It is really not a big deal and the fight and upset she would have to go through to give reasons why he shouldn't have it is probably not worth it (unless there are serious and genuine concerns).

At 11 years old the child should have a say in his access arrangements so if he is comfortable doing so could he not just tell his dad he would prefer not to stay overnight? Just have the visit during the day or maybe go for a few hours on a mid week evening or something.

Advertisement