Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ahh the logic is, he was on after Ray D'arcy

He took the piss out of D'arcy and was generally nasty to the show that handed him 250K on plate. I liked Foley on Spin & Today, this 98 thing is just wallpaper. I flick from 98 to 104 all the time, 104 just kill breakfast, end of.

Well I think the dislike went both ways though.

I think Deeno was in 98fm this morning. I think anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 PureDaycent

leggo wrote: »
    Really? I'm not easily impressed by people just replacing content by doing funny voices. Jim-Jim tries really, REALLY hard to be funny and likeable these days (is his standup career done yeah?) whereas 'Nobby' plays it all aloof like he's too cool to be there (snip). They have a couple of decent pranks and Paudgie is always entertaining, but that's about it.

Foley and JP at half-pace destroy them in terms of quality, for me. Dublin is just very habitual in terms of its listening habits. Even when there was just two randomers hosting the Strawberry Alarm Clock, people kept listening because they had got used to doing so when Colm & Jim were there.

Jim & Colm Left
    Jim McCabe & Niamh took over on 104
    Dermot & Dave went to No1 on 98
    JimJim Left 2fm
    Dermot & Dave went to Drive
    Jim & Nobby went back to No1

104 has huge habitual listening, but when they drop No1 and take it back it's evidence that
    show quality & content swing audiences.

Also, JimJim 'trying' to be funny?
    The guy is a natural and one of the quickest witted people on radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Jim & Colm Left
    Jim McCabe & Niamh took over on 104
    Dermot & Dave went to No1 on 98
    JimJim Left 2fm
    Dermot & Dave went to Drive
    Jim & Nobby went back to No1

104 has huge habitual listening, but when they drop No1 and take it back it's evidence that
    show quality & content swing audiences.

Also, JimJim 'trying' to be funny?
    The guy is a natural and one of the quickest witted people on radio.

It's different strokes for different folks. I'd classify Jim along the lines of Mrs Brown's Boys in terms of humour. I'm sure there's a market for it, doing funny voices and kinda immature pranks, but there's not much IQ or wit to it. There was when he first came around and was fresh, but then when he went through his original ideas and started re-spinning the same wheel I personally found there wasn't much juice left in the tank. Seems a really nice guy though, I've certainly nothing against him and don't have a stake in 98 vs 104, so more power to them being number one. But don't act as if humour isn't subjective either. Saying the words "Ah jayziz howya!" a lot isn't great comedy. Like I said, is he still doing standup? (Genuine question, I have no idea)

Good marketing around Jim's return (in comparison to pretty piss poor marketing from 98 for Foley - see? No bias) and strong, long-term imaging from 104, as well as 98's revolving door on breakfast got 104 their strong lead from what I can see. D&D did kill it on breakfast and dominated with low competition, but they didn't enjoy the huge gap 104 have had for years now either. It was a lot closer then. And, hey, again that's credit to 104 for staying competitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I think Deeno was in 98fm this morning. I think anyway.

What does this mean :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Synode wrote: »
    What does this mean :confused:

Deeno is always in the Dublin News Centre, a different building to 98fm. I think he means she was in the 98fm building yesterday morning?

Brendão wrote: »
    Deeno is always in the Dublin News Centre, a different building to 98fm. I think he means she was in the 98fm building yesterday morning?

Correct and right sir. Yeah I'm that sad that I worked it out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Calling it the Dublin News Centre is a bit cringey. You'd swear she was doing in depth reports from the sound of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I always thought the Dublin News Centre was a joke. That she was just in a different studio.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I always thought the Dublin News Centre was a joke. That she was just in a different studio.

Nope, she's in a different building. The reason she's to leave the studio at a specific time is because the Spin newsreader comes in for their bulletins at quarter to.

I'd say there was some sort of meeting at 98 yesterday 'cos Ray made mention of Trish (Head of News) being in and not seeing her around much.

Side Note: Having Deeno in the same studio was brilliant. Them taking the piss out of her over the mic was hilarious.

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Nope, she's in a different building. The reason she's to leave the studio at a specific time is because the Spin newsreader comes in for their bulletins at quarter to.

I'd say there was some sort of meeting at 98 yesterday 'cos Ray made mention of Trish (Head of News) being in and not seeing her around much.

Side Note: Having Deeno in the same studio was brilliant. Them taking the piss out of her over the mic was hilarious.

Yeah that was funny with the mic:D

Another way I knew she was in the malthouse is the mic sounded different and there was no delay. Yes I know I'm that sad.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Another way I knew she was in the malthouse is the mic sounded different and there was no delay. Yes I know I'm that sad.

Ah no, I noticed the mic thing straight away too, totally different sound.

Didn't notice the delay though, so that's all on you, you saddo! :P

Ah no, I noticed the mic thing straight away too, totally different sound.

Didn't notice the delay though, so that's all on you, you saddo! :P

Well that and I asked her.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Travismccoy

Here Leggo, you should email some of your YouTube sketches into a few radio shows. Comedy is subjective, you're damn right it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Travismccoy

Judging by that reply, looks like there's only one of us taking this personally my friend :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

No, I just don't tolerate trolls. And I think it's funny how much you've exposed yourself (and for what? A company who probably don't care about you?). People lose their jobs over this stuff you...clever person...you. :pac:

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Moderator: That's enough. Back on topic, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

Hey guys what did Ya think of the naked breakfast show today? Personally thought it was absolutely fantastic. Huge congrats to all involved . JP and Ray I know ye have the occasional browse so give yourselves a pat on the back from me ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

I thought the Naked Breakfast was really well done and was great craic, really impressed by it all. Would be interested to see the video of it when they post it actually!

• Advertisement

Agh! Christmas beds! Too early! Too early!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

Ah December 1st isn't too early, sure they are all at it at this rate, Christmas songs everywhere at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

December 1!? Too early!? Bah, humbug

FunLover18 wrote: »
    December 1!? Too early!? Bah, humbug

I have exams until the 18th. Christmas doesn't begin until then.

NEVER... I repeat NEVER too early for anything Christmas related.

I have exams until the 18th. Christmas doesn't begin until then.

I've no exams but 4 assignments 4000 each due before 22nd :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

*Person on EH Yeah OK gets buzzed out*

Ray "Suze bring him back tomorrow" - repeat for rest of the week.

Gah!!

*Person on EH Yeah OK gets buzzed out*

Ray "Suze bring him back tomorrow" - repeat for rest of the week.

Gah!!

Didn't hear it today, but they had someone on Mon & Tues and he was only 12, so I can see why they'd bring him back!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Didn't hear it today, but they had someone on Mon & Tues and he was only 12, so I can see why they'd bring him back!

Why? This morning he genuinely sounded fed up of the whole thing.

• Advertisement

Why? This morning he genuinely sounded fed up of the whole thing.

He's only a kid, so it makes sense to me that they'd mine it for comedy to keep bringing him back and hearing him fail. Who sounded fed up of the whole thing this morning, Ray or the kid?

Advertisement