Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork South Central in Next General Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Coveney can get to **** anyway.

He was utterly incompetent and lacklustre as Minister for Marine and I cant imagine he'd do Cork much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

He was utterly incompetent and lacklustre as Minister for Marine and I cant imagine he'd do Cork much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

somefeen wrote: »

I disagree. He was the first minister in the history of the state to actually come up with an integrated marine plan. Millions of SFI funding directed to centering marine renewable research in Ringaskiddy. I'm not a FG voter by any shot but he's been one of the hardest working and effective ministers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

mikeym wrote: »
    They plan to increase Taxes on those earning over €100,000 a year and they propose to raise the USC threshold to €19,572.

What freaks me out is how that 'superrich' category is dropping all the time. First it was those on more than 300k, then more than 200k, soon it's going to be a husband and wife on 35k each... 70k combined, the dirty rich feckers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Yup, I too hate this "target the rich to fix all of the countries problems" line that opposition parties tout to appeal to low earners. The money is already coming in, it's how we spend it that seems to be the problem. Adding more tax to the our most successful citizens won't fix the health care system or reopen Garda stations. Using the money we have sensibly will do that. But no, lets go for lowest common denominator promises... tax the "rich" more, give more handouts in benefits, throw some money at first time buyers (cause that makes complete sense and won't drive house prices up at all :rolleyes:), oh and lets prey on the hopes of couples struggling to have a child by dangling the carrot of some free fertility treatment in front of them. The worst thing of all is that so many people will fall for this BS, anything that serves their narrow interests instead of actually attempting to do something real to help the country recover.

/rant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

It's the AAAPBP slogan of 'Share the Wealth' that grates me the most. Wealth has to be created before it can be shared!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I see around mahon and blackrock someone has put "I am a liar" stickers over the mouths of Labour / ff / fg posters. Presumably their under the false impression that people will take notice of their opinion and that unlike the other parties Sinn Fein and the AAA are honest :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,258 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I see around mahon and blackrock someone has put "I am a liar" stickers over the mouths of Labour / ff / fg posters. Presumably their under the false impression that people will take notice of their opinion and that unlike the other parties Sinn Fein and the AAA are honest :pac:

We have them up the northside too. Only FG/Lab here though, Billy Kelleher seems to be getting off without them for now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭CZ 453

The Jerry Buttimer posters on Tramore road have Hitler moustaches on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

All the one to me but it does what it is supposed to do and makes a mockery of the poster/s.

lf l had my way all the posters would be banned. Like l am going to vote for a TD because his team stuck a load of posters up for a few weeks !!! so it would be like l have issues with what you done in the locality, I disagree with your policy on abortion/economy/taxes (whatever) but when I saw that marvelous poster of yours I just had to vote for you !! :confused:;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

clerk wrote: »
    All the one to me but it does what it is supposed to do and makes a mockery of the poster/s.

lf l had my way all the posters would be banned. Like l am going to vote for a TD because his team stuck a load of posters up for a few weeks !!! so it would be like l have issues with what you done in the locality, I disagree with your policy on abortion/economy/taxes (whatever) but when I saw that marvelous poster of yours I just had to vote for you !! :confused:;)

I think it makes a mockery of those that did it and a process of elimination points a finger to the far left, kind of annoys me too I can make my own mind up.

I think each candidate should be allowed a total of 100 posters or something like that as its a bit ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

I think it makes a mockery of those that did it and a process of elimination points a finger to the far left, kind of annoys me too I can make my own mind up.

I think each candidate should be allowed a total of 100 posters or something like that as its a bit ridiculous.

The Italians use a noticeboard system that seems a bit tidier than posters on lamposts.

mKZvB4vl.jpg

Was listening to Micheal Martin on the radio and he was talking about his role in introducing the Smoking Ban.

That was 12 years ago.

If the smoking ban was the only positive thing he done when he was a minister he shouldn't be reelected.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 schofferhofer

Does anyone know much about the independents who are standing from CSC? Can't imagine I'd be voting for any of the mainstream parties this time. I know Mick Finn is part of the independent's alliance led by Shane Ross but don't have any other information on him or the rest of the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Does anyone know much about the independents who are standing from CSC? Can't imagine I'd be voting for any of the mainstream parties this time. I know Mick Finn is part of the independent's alliance led by Shane Ross but don't have any other information on him or the rest of the lot.

I think he's ex-FF http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158045

The rest are activists of various descriptions 'tenant's rights', anti-water charges and anti property tax, etc.

I'm disappointed the Social Democrats didn't run a candidate but they probably realistically thought it'd be a hard ask to get into the top 4 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

They all appear to be anti everything. All the same as each other with nothing to offer unfortunately.

Ludo wrote: »
    They all appear to be anti everything. All the same as each other with nothing to offer unfortunately.

While the government are Pros at robbing the working class.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

CSC Poll out this morning. Looks like it's done and dusted with 2 FF + Coveney + the Shinner going through with Buttimer losing out.

CSC Poll out this morning. Looks like it's done and dusted with 2 FF + Coveney + the Shinner going through with Buttimer losing out.

I would not trust that poll really. I'd say it will be a lot closer than the poll make out for the fourth seat and it is most definitely not done and dusted. I do think the SF guy will take it, but only just from Buttimer.

• Advertisement

mikeym wrote: »
    While the government are Pros at robbing the working class.

And the independents running in CSC would do what differently? Anyway, I voted independent last time in CSC as there was a decent candidate (who did crap as it turned out and is not running again) but this time they are all the same which is a great pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

And the independents running in CSC would do what differently? Anyway, I voted independent last time in CSC as there was a decent candidate (who did crap as it turned out and is not running again) but this time they are all the same which is a great pity.

Unless someone was a friend or relative i would vote for them as independents, other than that they are a waste of time, sitting in the back benches and warming them up in The Dail. Unless of course they are supporting a Government akin to Healy Rae.

kub wrote: »
    Unless someone was a friend or relative i would vote for them as independents, other than that they are a waste of time, sitting in the back benches and warming them up in The Dail. Unless of course they are supporting a Government akin to Healy Rae.

I assume you meant "wouldn't" above. That is a fair point. FG it is then ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I would not trust that poll really. I'd say it will be a lot closer than the poll make out for the fourth seat and it is most definitely not done and dusted. I do think the SF guy will take it, but only just from Buttimer.

Buttimer still in with a shout a lot will depend on where Lynch's transfers go once he is eliminated. Can't see SF getting enough transfers to win the seat .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I voted independent last time in CSC as there was a decent candidate (who did crap as it turned out and is not running again)

I think we voted for the same candidate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I doubt if Buttimer will get enough to pass O'Leary on those numbers. The first three will be of little help to him. I wish him well though. Good guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I think its funny that the AAA woman works for a german bank...thought they didn't like banks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

I have a hunch that she does not work in the economic section of the bank though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Blackie Grey

Who will I vote for? they are all ****e from what I have seen

• Advertisement

If Sinn Fein get a seat in Cork South Central it will be one of the big shocks in the election.

If it still were a 5 seater Donnchadh Ó Laoghaire would definitely get a seat.

Advertisement