Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Albert Quay - New Development

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

D'Agger wrote: »
    I'm sure there were buildings in London, NYC, Dublin etc. that were at one stage deemed 'inappropriate to its surroundings' so I don't really see that as a valid argument tbh

This kind of argument is so vague and wishy washy that it hurts my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

It's on the quay. Just because there's an eyesore further in is no excuse.

No. Moving companies from one empty block to another isn't going to revitalise the city.
    So do you think the quays should be left as they are or have some other type of development looked at?

Your comment regarding moving companies from an empty block to another doesn't quite fit in with Tyco creating up to 2,000 new jobs. It's a well known fact that Tyco are expanding largely at the moment and require a move.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

It's on the quay. Just because there's an eyesore further in is no excuse.

No. Moving companies from one empty block to another isn't going to revitalise the city.

Moving more companies to the City Centre creates a critical mass so that the services to that area are improved.

2000 new jobs in the city centre means that public transport is improved, footfall for retail/ eating out in the city centre is improved, more people will live in the city centre which drives down the crime rate - there's a long list of benefits to having a vibrant city centre rather everyone driving to work on the outskirts of the city.

This kind of argument is so vague and wishy washy that it hurts my head.
    Take a neurofen for the sore head and point out the weakpoints in what I've said when you have a chance please - for my own education and to show you're capable of offering an argument that isn't simply a vague swipe, if anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

It also implies that the recent economic downturn and consequent loss of jobs within the city centre, retail, banking, insurance, etc is a good thing overall for the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

So the city's laneways and streets now are becoming private property.What a fcukin joke?.How did this come about?

Its a wonder that they are letting people walk down Port lane.

:confused: Was Port Lane not developed when the Elysian complex was being built? Is that the pedestrian walk way between El Vino and (is it Rabo Bank??).

Just i do not remember it there when the An Post sorting office was on that site before that AFAIK it was a railway goods yard.

Either way the site might not have been handed over to the council yet, most new developments take years before the public areas, greens etc, are handed over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

So the city's laneways and streets now are becoming private property.What a fcukin joke?.How did this come about?

Its a wonder that they are letting people walk down Port lane.

Port lane is part of the development of the Elysian it did not exist before the Elysian was built. It is the access route to the residents car park. So it is very much the property of the developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Port lane is part of the development of the Elysian it did not exist before the Elysian was built. It is the access route to the residents car park. So it is very much the property of the developer.

Im aware that the lane way/street was'nt there before the development but for the developers to deny access to the people who would have been working on Albert Quay is fairly pathetic.

What they are saying here is 'We decide who walks down our street'.At this rate Opera lane is 'owned' by Owen O'Callaghan.Can he throw his toys out of the pram some time in the future and decide who walks down that street?

No street/lane way should be private property and the City Council should have made sure that this crap would never happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭dwiseman

The plans were withdrawn by the developer according to yesterdays examiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

At this rate Opera lane is 'owned' by Owen O'Callaghan.Can he throw his toys out of the pram some time in the future and decide who walks down that street?

Yes, the Council voted to extinguish the public right of way at the former Faulkner's Lane:
    http://oldphotosofcork.wordpress.com/2014/03/20/not-opera-lane/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

An ugly design, inappropriate to its surroundings, with a dodgy business case gone. Good news.

Compared to what's there? It detracts from the whole side of the quay at the moment.

Cannot believe this was stopped tbh, as this was shaping up to be a great position for larger companies in the city center and breath much needed life into that side of the city - pity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

"Meanwhile, a revised planning application for a €45m office block on Albert Quay was lodged with Cork City Council. The original plans were withdrawn last month after objections.

A spokesman for John Cleary Developments said, having regard for the level of enquiries and in the interests of moving matters forward, they have addressed the issues raised in the previous application and look forward to starting on site once planning is granted.

The alterations include a reduction by one floor and it is expected that building work, which will create some 300 jobs, will be completed in early 2016"

Excerpt taken from the following article about VoxPro:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2014/0503/ireland/voxpro-chief-office-shortage-lsquocould-damage-recoveryrsquo-267428.html

I have a feeling they will receive objections to the revised plan as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

New application here: http://planning.corkcity.ie/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=1436015

Interesting part:
    Doors are also provided to the southern elevation at ground floor level for emergency egress parallel to Port Lane for pedestrians to be directed east and west within the applicants domain to Albert Street and Albert Quay ; no access onto Port Lane or works to it, are proposed.

That removes the Elysian developments main objection. Given the very quick re-submission with new plans maybe they were even expecting the objection or expected to have to remove a floor?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Any pictures of this yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

There was a picture of a the new proposal in yesterday's Examiner.

It looks pretty similar to the original design. As far as I can see they removed a floor, removed the 2 rectangular white frames from the outside of the building(looks far better without them) and removed the entrance from Port Lane.

All in all I think the redesign looks much better.

Hopefully they get permission as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

The resubmitted design got planning last week subject to some conditions - the main one being they need to remove a floor from the highest corner and use a slanted profile on the roof edge facing the elysian to minimise blocking daylight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

So what's CORK about it?

Sorry but we might as well be in bleedin DUUUUblin.

WHAT'S CORK ABOUT IT?

They've destroyed Dublin so we are the next soft touch?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Looks quite good, thanks for posting those zetalambda.

I'm usually not a fan of modern architecture - as it tends to consist of bland, featureless, oversized cuboids with bland, featureless facades built with bland, featureless materials. In particular, they tend to have horrible roofscapes - big, boxy lines usually visible from halfway across the city. At least in this case they've broken up the 'boxiness' quite a bit, and I do like the roof garden.

Our company might well be a potential occupant, though it would depend a lot on the availability of parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Red Nissan wrote: »
    So what's CORK about it?

Sorry but we might as well be in bleedin DUUUUblin.

WHAT'S CORK ABOUT IT?

They've destroyed Dublin so we are the next soft touch?

Tbh I think it's outstanding, if that's destroying Cork I'd be quite happy to see them destroy the rest of the city.

• Advertisement

Well it is a lot better than what is currently on that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭shnaek

There's a new boardwalk in front of the building in the vid too - I wonder is that part of the build?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

shnaek wrote: »
    There's a new boardwalk in front of the building in the vid too - I wonder is that part of the build?
    Generally you would find in alot of these promotional materials and even plans that they show landscaping etc in the surrounding area but its not part of their plans or including in the permission so they wont carry it out but it looks good on the plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

kub wrote: »

This is the thing. Ignoring the fact that it's much needed high quality office space, what's there at the monent is a disgrace. There's a lot if people that moan for the sake of moaning.

The only thing that would be worse than what's currently there is a rubbish tip.
    shnaek wrote: »

I believe it's a condition of the build. That wharf on Albert quay is in a serious state of disrepair to the extent that's it dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

I think the council also has plans to make a much bigger boardwalk in the city, can't remember where I read/heard it, might have been the next development plan. The one outside sugarcube/electric is brilliant. Got much during the week from the market and sat there on the benches. was great this week in the sun.

This is the thing. Ignoring the fact that it's much needed high quality office space, what's there at the monent is a disgrace. There's a lot if people that moan for the sake of moaning.

'This is the thing', is it really? I simply mention that a new building there is better than the eyesore that is there currently and I am moaning......

'This is the thing', is it really? I simply mention that a new building there is better than the eyesore that is there currently and I am moaning......
    I think you've picked up his point the wrong way round, Pablo is for the building over the eyesore that's currently there

Looks like MO'F could be off JCD's back now. :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Advertisement