Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What does Cork need?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Water-tour. Less pot holes. A subway system? Imagine that...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Fabio wrote: »
    Water-tour. Less pot holes. A subway system? Imagine that...

The South link inbound is in a bad way as is the N25 inbound,a 120kmph road with pot holes.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

Recognition as the real capital of Ireland :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The South link inbound is in a bad way as is the N25 inbound,a 120kmph road with pot holes.:(

South Link only 100km/h (then 60, then 50) but it's in dire need of a good resurfacing. The surface is in bits and getting worse all the time. The outbound carriageway is in great shape though thanks to that ESB cabling job that necessitated it being resurfaced.

It's probably one of the busiest pieces of road in the state.

The N25's definitely in need of some serious work. It was in good shape until a few months ago. It's getting rapidly worse and worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭F.J.

Hogzy wrote: »
    A Helipad in the CUH wouldnt go a miss either considering its the Countries only Trauma One hospital.

There is a helipad in CUH though when they were building the maternity ward they built over it apparently.Makes you wonder about the planning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

F.J. wrote: »
    There is a helipad in CUH though when they were building the maternity ward they built over it apparently.Makes you wonder about the planning.

The helipad was where the raised carpark behind the a&e is now. It was only meant to be a temporary carpark till they built they built that private hospital but that never happened. From what I've heard they're thinking of building it on top of the a&e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Mariasofia wrote: »
    Recognition as the real capital of Ireland :)

Nah, Independence would be higher on my list of priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

A roller disco is what Cork needs! haha....just moved to Cork and got a job in the new roller skating rink....whether Cork needs it or not, it's here!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

The roads are dire! I drive in the Bkckrock road and near Cahills Butchers, there are cones to help people avoid driving in the potholes near the footpaths! As for the flyover over Douglas....you have to drive on the outside lane, also coming into Cork from Dublin is a minefield of holes....

Also...a decent road to Limerick...bones rattle through Buttevant (having driven through the Cork -Mallow 'motorway'), only to be met with the car park that is Charleville (granted it's the home of good cheese), but HATE that journey!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Also...a decent road to Limerick...bones rattle through Buttevant (having driven through the Cork -Mallow 'motorway'), only to be met with the car park that is Charleville (granted it's the home of good cheese), but HATE that journey!

+1

Jesus Christ, every time i travel that road my car ages about six months. The surface of the moon is surely better than that of Buttevant! And dont get me started on the bendy twist parts either side of the village. There are by-roads in deepest west cork that are superior.

For a National Primary route between the second and third cities, it's a shocking indictment of the NRA and previous governments. Their policy was always to re-develop every road to Dublin and fcuk the rest of the country :mad:

I'd also like to second the 'new North Ring Road' recommendation - and i mean a proper ring road, not the current pitiful excuse of a road that goes through urban areas of Tivoli, Mayfield and Ballyvolane. Trying to get from Blackpool out Ballincollig is painful, having to go through all that traffic by the keys and out Washington St. A proper Northern Ring Road is long over-due.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

A Boojum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

JupiterKid wrote: »
    A Boojum

a whaaaa?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

grenache wrote: »
    a whaaaa?

The finest burrito bar in Ireland. One in Dublin with another on the way and another one due to open in Galway soon. Cork's offerings in terms of Mexican burritos are a bit thin on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

The roads are dire! I drive in the Bkckrock road and near Cahills Butchers, there are cones to help people avoid driving in the potholes near the footpaths! As for the flyover over Douglas....you have to drive on the outside lane, also coming into Cork from Dublin is a minefield of holes....

Lots of pot holes fixed around douglas and rochestown recently including the south ring. Except for the big one at the entrance to the south ring on the rochestown road. Possibly because the pot hole fixers ate back at work after being suspended.

Ludo wrote: »
    Lots of pot holes fixed around douglas and rochestown recently including the south ring. Except for the big one at the entrance to the south ring on the rochestown road. Possibly because the pot hole fixers ate back at work after being suspended.

Heard about that....:mad:

Also...the Marina is a wasted potential amenity. The cafe is great, but there could be so much more done with the space.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Independence from the rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Independence from the rest of the country.

PM sent
    <.<
    >.>

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ludo wrote: »

I just got my car back and driving around the roads are shocking. the old blackrock road going towards aston is desperate, and the marina road..I know there are trucks on it all the time but still.

They really need to paint the city its looking pretty shabby.. Spotted another of those daft bick racks in the park in ballinlough what the feck are they doing with them..they seem to be putting them in very odd places

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭ravendude

Roads are shocking. Some one really needs to teach the council and corp how to actually fix a pothole. Fillling a hole with shovels of tarmac is NOT fixing a pothole. They dont do this nonsense in other countries so why do we do it here.

Fix it properly and it will probably never need to be done again, ie. cut out a clean square patch, fill it and seal the edges,- doesn't take much longer, stays fixed and the road wont be as bumpy. But no, our morons think the botch job "is grand"....idiots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Derpington95

A ban on all geek and nerd shirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

ravendude wrote: »
    Roads are shocking. Some one really needs to teach the council and corp how to actually fix a pothole. Fillling a hole with shovels of tarmac is NOT fixing a pothole. They dont do this nonsense in other countries so why do we do it here.

Fix it properly and it will probably never need to be done again, ie. cut out a clean square patch, fill it and seal the edges,- doesn't take much longer, stays fixed and the road wont be as bumpy. But no, our morons think the botch job "is grand"....idiots

Of course they do it in other countries. Most things wrong in Ireland are the same the world over. You just don't notice it as you don't live there so don't see it. I've seen that some on at least 2 other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

exactly too many kebab shops in the city. think they cheepen the look of the place a bit. a coffee shop two that open later than 6 would be welcome in the city, if you want to meet someone after work in town generally the only place is a pub
    also pairc ui choamh needs serious redevlopement. Im from tipp and I know some people wont go need the place coz of the condition of it and for the bruce gig a lot opted for limerick coz its a nicer stadium. in fact there was a facebook page protesting against the safety of the place, plus if it was redeveloped it might bring a few more concerts to it, providing extra business to pubs, resturants, hotels etc. there is a lot of potential along the marina area unfortunately we will be waiting to see it
    also if you don't want to drink on a night out and think of driving in sometimes its impossible to find parking. it would be great if the council opened even 1 parking area at night.
    also something needs to be done about the groups of teenagers in town on a Saturday afternoon, its beginning to get a bit off putting going into town on Saturdays with the gangs near dunnes on patricks st, im sute older people might find it a bit intimidating at times

I think to be perfectly honest Parc ui Caoimhe just sums up the GAA's fixation on Croke Park and total disregard for Cork fans, players and the city itself.

They've poured all their resources into a huge stadium in Dublin while leaving the country's second largest population centre with a stadium that looks like what you'd expect to see in a poor, developing country.

The stadium is an absolute embarrassment to the while city at this stage. It's an absolute kip.

We really should have a proper municipal stadium with top notch facilities that could be used for several sports and major events.

You'd expect something more like the Aviva / Landsdown road in Cork to accommodate soccer, rugby and GAA.

The GAA should have a smaller stadium for minor matches. I see them using huge places for very minor stuff a lot of the time.

Basically though, the whole strategy around stadia in Cork comes down to nonsense about refusing to share facilities with "foreign" games. It achieves nothing other than having several poor stadia instead of one really good and commercially viable complex.

It's a sad state of affairs really that our second city doesn't even have the facilities to host a minor international match and underlines the total incompetence of those in charge of distributing funds at national level.

People wonder why Corkonians have a chip on their shoulder - it's stuff like this. In many respects the city is undermined by being treated as "down the country" by the people divvying up the cash.

You see it for other things too like lack of proper support for the Opera House which was left so many times with half completed refurbishment projects.

There are a lot of cases where Cork is treated very badly and not like a second city.

It also tends to have no autonomy or control over things like :

Poor urban public transport - decisions made remotely by CIE companies and its bus network merged with Bus Eireann.

Sports facilities (see above)

Etc etc !

Most cities Cork's size else where would have an ability to locally manage these kinda of things.

I still find that in Ireland there's a mentality that you've Dublin and "the country".

The result has been that relatively large urban centres like Cork are seen by some decision makers as comparable like-for-like with relatively small regional towns.

It's often resulted in totally ridiculous levels of service and capital investment in the main cities.

We also can't seem to get out heads around the idea of building the cities as regional hubs. Instead you've poor transit connections to natural regional hubs in favour of radial links to Dublin at all costs.

The result of all of this had been spreading resources too thin and undermining the creation of any decent scale cities apart from Dublin, which has arguably sprawled to a stage that its become damaged too.

We'd probably have a much nicer country if we'd say 3 or 4 properly developed urban centres rather that what we've done which was to actually actively undermine that process!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

Repaint the road markings.

Fill potholes.

Close those discount stores that are popping up everywhere.

Probably coming from my youth but a public track to take speed lovers off the roads. I know a couple of lads that I hope none of ye come across on your travels.

Maybe a higher guarda presence on streets. They all ways seem to be in their cars when I see them now.

Really I wish they'd lower commercial rates and get business into cork. I hate seeing empty units near Patrick's street.

Free parking near the centre would be nice. There is no real reason to go to town anymore with free parking in Mahon,Wilton and ballincollig.

ManMade wrote: »
    Repaint the road markings.

Close those discount stores that are popping up everywhere.

There's not much you can do about that to be honest. That's more of a reflection of the state of the national/international economy than anything else as retailers aren't coming forward to fill vacant stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

also something needs to be done about the groups of teenagers in town on a Saturday afternoon, its beginning to get a bit off putting going into town on Saturdays with the gangs near dunnes on patricks st, im sute older people might find it a bit intimidating at times

I agree with you. I find them pretty damn annoying, but what are they supposed to do? If they want to meet up with their friends, and not hang around their parents' houses, there aren't that many places for them to go.

Kids in town are the least of our worries!
    They're actually usually a good thing.

Biggest growing issue I'm seeing is junkies! Saw a few scary looking guys running across traffic - shouting abuse etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

A cycle lane/overpass to go from the City to Glouthaune/old road to Youghal. That roundabout by the tunnel is one dicey place to negotiate with a bicycle. Add to that a bit of maintenance to the cycle/walk path from Pairc Ui Chaoimh out to Rochestown, emptying and fixing the dog crap bins and sorting out the wrecked and dirty benches.

Pairc Ui Chaoimh, an utter dump of a place, needs serious sprucing up or demolition/rebuilding!

Doing something useful with the old Capitol Cineplex, heard that's its a rat infested shooting gallery inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Agree with a lot of what you say Solair! A municipal stadium would be massive for Cork, but it's not likely in the foreseeable future. Local/National government is skint - so we're unlikely to see a French-style government provided stadium. And it's difficult to see the 3 main sporting bodies cooperating to achieve it, particularly when just one (the GAA) has the prime city site, the most cooperation from the council and probably the best finances to build a new stadium.

It's bizarre how Limerick has 2 stadia (Thomond and Gaelic Grounds) better/cleaner/more modern than anything in Cork, while Dublin arguably has at least 3 (Croke Park, Aviva Stadium, RDS, maybe even Tallaght Stadium!).

There just seems to be a lack of any progressive leadership in the city/region. Even when we do see a significant development (such as the new airport terminal), there's always a catch. As I understand it, when Aer Rianta was split up, the deal was a new Terminal would be built, and the Cork Airport Authority would be debt-free. Then, the CAA board voted to take on €113 million of debt. Surely for a small, relatively quiet airport that must have a huge affect on the overall running costs & sustainability.

On the road & rail infrastructure, as you say it's a bit of an outdated farce. Everything goes to Dublin, and even then it doesn't connect. (Try travelling from Cork - Belfast by rail). Even going direct from Cork to Limerick usually involves a transfer. You'd think a Cork-Limerick-Galway motorway and/or rail route would have been completed a long time ago.

Advertisement