Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solid Fuel Stove not heating rads and water

• 04-12-2011 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

We moved in to our house over a year ago. We have oil fired heating system with solid fuel stove as well. We've been using oil for heating mostly which works fine in the house, but this year we decided not to buy oil but use coal instead.
    Since we stopped using oil it seems that the stove isn't heating the house at all, only few rads downstairs are warm, the kitchen is hot from the stove burning (not rads) and no heat upstairs. The water isn't heating up either. We had the coal burning from 2pm to 9pm yesterday and still had to put water on to use the shower.
    There is a zone heating in the house and around 20 rads. The Stanley stove we have it looks like Erin model (looks exactly like it). I asked the landlord before how to use it and he said to put the oil on first and then start the fire, after its nicely going switch off the oil and the stove should maintain the heat. But that doesn't happen either.
    Is the stove big enough to warm up 20 rads in 4 bedroom house? We have most off them turned off in the rooms/corridors we don't really need/use. There is two valves in the back of the stove - one with red cap that releases water when opened :confused: and the other has a copper spring thing that doesn't seem to do anything when turned from 0-4 position. Can post pics if needed. (would like to know what these are for)
    I would like to get this sorted as it seems to me there must be something wrong along the line.
    Thanks very much for any info/input on this. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

trance2004 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

We moved in to our house over a year ago. We have oil fired heating system with solid fuel stove as well. We've been using oil for heating mostly which works fine in the house, but this year we decided not to buy oil but use coal instead.
    Since we stopped using oil it seems that the stove isn't heating the house at all, only few rads downstairs are warm, the kitchen is hot from the stove burning (not rads) and no heat upstairs. The water isn't heating up either. We had the coal burning from 2pm to 9pm yesterday and still had to put water on to use the shower.
    There is a zone heating in the house and around 20 rads. The Stanley stove we have it looks like Erin model (looks exactly like it). I asked the landlord before how to use it and he said to put the oil on first and then start the fire, after its nicely going switch off the oil and the stove should maintain the heat. But that doesn't happen either.
    Is the stove big enough to warm up 20 rads in 4 bedroom house? We have most off them turned off in the rooms/corridors we don't really need/use. There is two valves in the back of the stove - one with red cap that releases water when opened :confused: and the other has a copper spring thing that doesn't seem to do anything when turned from 0-4 position. Can post pics if needed. (would like to know what these are for)
    I would like to get this sorted as it seems to me there must be something wrong along the line.
    Thanks very much for any info/input on this. :)

I would say that an erin stove has no chance of heating 20 rads unless all tiny singles. To give you an idea it would run 5 600mmx 1000 double rads plus hot water. Can you hear the pump running for the stove and is it controlled by a pipe stat?
    The valve thats red is a safety valve. Dont turn it as it can dribble with dirt getting under the valve seat. The maintenance man should test it annualy though to make sure it functions. Some are rubber backed and can stick.
    The other seems like a dial to control the air supply to the fire.
    Some pictures of each piperoute from stove would be helpful:)
    Your system should work much better though:mad:

Stove Fan:)

Advertisement