Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New hard drive + Windows 7 = ? uploading problems??

Options
  • 13-12-2009 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I recently installed a new hard drive on my computer and then installed Windows 7.

Ever since I have been having trouble uploading photos to sites such as facebook and photobucket. I'm using 02 mobile broadband. Speed tests show that my modem is reaching full capacity with regards to its upload speeds, however it was suggested to upgrade the modem to a newer one, (as the exisiting modem is 2yrs old and the new ones have better uploading capabilities). So I went and got a new modem this morning and the upload speeds are actually worse so I'm about to take that modem back.

The 02 tech support aren't very helpful and have said they can't log upload issues as there are too many variables. He did however suggest it might be a setting with the computer, such as the firewall. So is anyone able to give me the recommended settings for the firewall & virus software (AVG free 9.0) so i can check that there is not something there that is blocking/limiting my ability to upload. Previously I could upload 20 - 30 photos at once without difficulty and now I'm struggling to even upload one at a time. Any other suggestions or ideas would also be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Mel.b

Comments

mel.b wrote: »
    Hi,

I recently installed a new hard drive on my computer and then installed Windows 7.

Ever since I have been having trouble uploading photos to sites such as facebook and photobucket. I'm using 02 mobile broadband. Speed tests show that my modem is reaching full capacity with regards to its upload speeds, however it was suggested to upgrade the modem to a newer one, (as the exisiting modem is 2yrs old and the new ones have better uploading capabilities). So I went and got a new modem this morning and the upload speeds are actually worse so I'm about to take that modem back.

The 02 tech support aren't very helpful and have said they can't log upload issues as there are too many variables. He did however suggest it might be a setting with the computer, such as the firewall. So is anyone able to give me the recommended settings for the firewall & virus software (AVG free 9.0) so i can check that there is not something there that is blocking/limiting my ability to upload. Previously I could upload 20 - 30 photos at once without difficulty and now I'm struggling to even upload one at a time. Any other suggestions or ideas would also be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Mel.b

If you are able to upload any at all then it is not a firewall or antivirus issue. I dont know what it could be apart from poor signal???

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i had that problem on 02 broadband. rang them. apparently its down to packet loss, which is a common occurance on mobile broadband. dunno if thats correct though. i had the same issue as you. was fine, then suddenly couldnt upload anymore.

havent touched mobile broadband since i had the chance to change to dsl to be honest

Advertisement