Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal priest claims yoga is "putting souls in jeopardy"

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

bluewolf wrote: »
    Next in breaking news: Catholic Church bans Thursdays
    Four day weeks - yay!

Oh wait - that's my football night...

/torn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

I think yoga is actually mentioned in the bible. Something about Jesus tying his ass to a tree and walking a mile into the town?

That's a stretch!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

robindch wrote: »
    Thursday? Named after the most awesome Norse god ever!

Wouldn't blame them for wanting to ban it.

No, the most awesome Norse god is Odin! Then frig. Thor, while funny, was just not awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Turtwig wrote: »
    No, the most awesome Norse god is Odin! Then frig. Thor, while funny, was just not awesome.

He brains people with a war hammer. What more do you people want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

robindch wrote: »
    Russian Minister of Culture Vladimir Medina points out that Yoga isn't sufficiently "Russian" either and that Russian kids should study more Lezginka -- which isn't what you might think just looking at the first three letters, but actually a Cossack dance -- which isn't "Russian" either, but I suppose that doesn't count.

http://www.newsru.com/russia/04jul2014/battlelezginka.html

Mr Medina, btw, shot to international fame last year with his claim that Russians are superior to the rest of the world because they have an extra chromosome.

I was thinking isnt that downs syndrome? Translated and was not disappointed.
    Turtwig wrote: »

The blasphemy law was brought in for people like you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Azwaldo55

The vast majority of Catholics would not have studied theology or gotten into it as deep as you appear to have done. Most of us realise that like all religions you are dealing with man made rules & regulations and take them with a grain of salt. A belief in God is a different matter and would not be affected by the words or actions of 'holy' men or women.

The overwhelming majority of Irish people have no clue what being a Catholic means. As a former Catholic who studied the Catechism I can tell you what is what.

If you are a Catholic you do not take the rules with a grain of salt and the laws of your religion are not man-made. They are inspired by the Holy Spirit. A Catholic believes than there is only salvation through the Catholic Church and NOWHERE ELSE. No ifs buts or maybes. You believe it 100% or you can go to hell. Those are the rules.
    All other religions are false, all other other gods are false or Satan is disguise and that is the beginning and the end of it.

The only way - THE ONLY WAY - to worship God is as a baptized Catholic who takes part in the Catholic mass and eats and drinks the ACTUAL flesh and blood of Jesus.

If you don't believe this then you cannot seriously call yourself a Catholic.

I don't believe this and this is why I am now an atheist.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Azwaldo55

Nodin wrote: »
    Are you seriously telling me that some young one is preaching Lord Shiva to whoever turns up to their yoga class of an evening? Because I'm fairly sure the yoga practised in the West has ditched this.........unless anyone would care to inform me otherwise?

(and no, I don't do yoga)

Yoga is a system designed to unite the "kundalini" or corporeal energy with Shiva.

It is a religious practice. End of.

So if a Catholic practices it they are in breach of the 1st Commandment which prohibits worship of pagan gods.

According to Catholic theology the worship of pagan gods is a moral sin and unless the sinner repents sincerely they are in danger of eternal hellfire.

According to Catholic teaching pagan gods are in fact Lucifer now known as Satan and his fallen angels.

You can look this up if you like:

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM

If you don't actually believe this then you are not a Catholic and therefore why be a hypocrite and continue to pretend?

I am an atheist because I admitted the truth. I did not believe any of this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Azwaldo55 wrote: »
    The overwhelming majority of Irish people have no clue what being a Catholic means. As a former Catholic who studied the Catechism I can tell you what is what.

If you are a Catholic you do not take the rules with a grain of salt and the laws of your religion are not man-made. They are inspired by the Holy Spirit. A Catholic believes than there is only salvation through the Catholic Church and NOWHERE ELSE. No ifs buts or maybes. You believe it 100% or you can go to hell. Those are the rules.
    All other religions are false, all other other gods are false or Satan is disguise and that is the beginning and the end of it.

The only way - THE ONLY WAY - to worship God is as a baptized Catholic who takes part in the Catholic mass and eats and drinks the ACTUAL flesh and blood of Jesus.

Fair enough, If you are as content about being an atheist as I am about being a Catholic then we are both happ out!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Zen65 wrote: »
    I think yoga is actually mentioned in the bible. Something about Jesus tying his ass to a tree and walking a mile into the town?

That's a stretch!
    First mention of elasticity in the bible.

Yoga is a system designed to unite the "kundalini" or corporeal energy with Shiva.

It is a religious practice. End of.

So you're telling me that's how they teach it in most Yoga classes in the west? I'd call bollocks on that one.

"For a lot of people in the US, “yoga” is a series of pretzel-like physical exertions done to get fit, usually with some token Sanskrit thrown in here and there to keep things exotic and spicy. It’s an industry worth billions of dollars every year, between swanky supplies like see-through yoga pants (oops!), workout gear, and, of course, exclusive yoga retreats. It seems like everybody and their mother is either practicing yoga or training to become a certified yoga instructor these days.
    As a fitness movement, yoga has swept across the US, and it’s been widely adopted in a variety of communities. It’s promoted for everything from supplementing physical therapy to help people recover from severe injuries to staying toned and fit for beauty pageants. Yoga is the New It Thing."
    http://www.xojane.com/issues/yoga-religious-cultural-appropriation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,802 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Not believing catholic doctrine is necessary but not sufficient to be an atheist - otherwise you'd still be a christian or some other sort of theist.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

So you're telling me that's how they teach it in most Yoga classes in the west? I'd call bollocks on that one.

"For a lot of people in the US, “yoga” is a series of pretzel-like physical exertions done to get fit, usually with some token Sanskrit thrown in here and there to keep things exotic and spicy. It’s an industry worth billions of dollars every year, between swanky supplies like see-through yoga pants (oops!), workout gear, and, of course, exclusive yoga retreats. It seems like everybody and their mother is either practicing yoga or training to become a certified yoga instructor these days.
    As a fitness movement, yoga has swept across the US, and it’s been widely adopted in a variety of communities. It’s promoted for everything from supplementing physical therapy to help people recover from severe injuries to staying toned and fit for beauty pageants. Yoga is the New It Thing."
    http://www.xojane.com/issues/yoga-religious-cultural-appropriation

He's correct. In the West, it isn't used as a religious practice but at its roots, yoga is a religious practice and the postures are essentially religious poses to 'open your soul' (?) or whatever intent was originally there. The stretches were designed as spiritual exercises and this is confirmed by Yogi.
    I read an interesting article by an Indian Yogi a few years ago where he criticised Christians for adopting or attempting to practice 'Christian Yoga', as the two were wholly incompatible and were countering each other. This will have to do instead http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rajiv-malhotra/hindu-view-of-christian-yoga_b_778501.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

He's correct. In the West, it isn't used as a religious practice but at its roots, yoga is a religious practice and the postures are essentially religious poses to 'open your soul' (?) or whatever intent was originally there. The stretches were designed as spiritual exercises and this is confirmed by Yogi.
    I read an interesting article by an Indian Yogi a few years ago where he criticised Christians for adopting or attempting to practice 'Christian Yoga', as the two were wholly incompatible and were countering each other. This will have to do instead http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rajiv-malhotra/hindu-view-of-christian-yoga_b_778501.html

Like I'm going to believe anything that pickinick basket swiping git says.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,802 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

But he's smarter than the average bear.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Yoga flame!
    Dhalsim-hdstance.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

This "putting souls in jeopardy" by performing yoga designed to ....em...open the chakras to a spiritual energy (I think) would imply that the priest believes in chakras and the possibility that there are other gods that may be invoked by the practice? I always find it quite funny when one religion ends up effectively endorsing another by warning people of the "dangers" of other holy spirits ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I started yoga about a month ago. Really enjoying it. Pilates for hippies...
    No effect on my soul thus far. It's still imaginary. I thought my lower back and thighs were in serious jeopardy for the first couple of weeks though!

Which is my point.

Which is my point.

But it still is a religious/spiritual practice whether people view it as such or not. All the movements have spiritual origins and some still retain the spiritual names.

But it still is a religious/spiritual practice whether people view it as such or not. All the movements have spiritual origins and some still retain the spiritual names.

....it can't be a spiritual practice for them if they haven't a poxy clue about the spiritual end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭flutered

i was reading elsewhere today, that one of the positions in yoga enhances the bloodflow to the pelvic area, this in turn may help some people to achive a sexual urge, methinks that is is what the stoneage reverend finds repulsive,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

flutered wrote: »
    i was reading elsewhere today, that one of the positions in yoga enhances the bloodflow to the pelvic area, this in turn may help some people to achive a sexual urge, methinks that is is what the stoneage reverend finds repulsive,

Check out tantric yoga so. All about the nookie, Catholic priests need not apply ;)

Sex aside, well taught yoga is great for core strength and used as a complimentary exercise by many athletes, though some instructors and schools are a bit heavy on the woo.

"For a lot of people in the US, “yoga” is a series of pretzel-like physical exertions done to get fit, usually with some token Sanskrit thrown in here and there to keep things exotic and spicy. It’s an industry worth billions of dollars every year, between swanky supplies like see-through yoga pants (oops!), workout gear, and, of course, exclusive yoga retreats.

So not unlike Christianity in the US then? :p

smacl wrote: »
    So not unlike Christianity in the US then? :p

If it can be done, America would be the place to do it.

....it can't be a spiritual practice for them if they haven't a poxy clue about the spiritual end of it.
    But it still is a religious/spiritual practice whether people view it as such or not. It was created for spiritual purposes, not to get a toned ass.

But it still is a religious/spiritual practice whether people view it as such or not. It was created for spiritual purposes, not to get a toned ass.

Rubbish, if people are practising yoga exercises to improve core strength, breathing, or get a toned ass, the origins of those exercises are neither here nor there. If they're sitting around in leotards, holding hands, and muttering about chakras, that's something different.

It is also worth remembering that Catholicism assimilates other religious practises on a wholesale basis rather than let the flock stray. Which part of bible is it again that talks about chocolate eggs and rabbits at Easter, or dressing up as the undead at halloween? Has yer man in Donegal not got the memo from the Pope yet that the church are trying to hang on to the last few faithful? Father Jack would do a better job.

smacl wrote: »
    Rubbish, if people are practising yoga exercises to improve core strength, breathing, or get a toned ass, the origins of those exercises are neither here nor there. If they're sitting around in leotards, holding hands, and muttering about chakras, that's something different.

It is also worth remembering that Catholicism assimilates other religious practises on a wholesale basis rather than let the flock stray. Which part of bible is it again that talks about chocolate eggs and rabbits at Easter, or dressing up as the undead at halloween? Has yer man in Donegal not got the memo from the Pope yet that the church are trying to hang on to the last few faithful? Father Jack would do a better job.

Like it or not, yoga is "a Hindu spiritual and ascetic discipline, a part of which, including breath control, simple meditation, and the adoption of specific bodily postures, is widely practiced for health and relaxation."https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+yoga&oq=what+is+yoga&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8&gws_rd=ssl (Even as I do a little research with Google, the vast majority of sites related to yoga are for more than just the physical aspect of it)
    If you are not a practising Catholic, what does this matter to you?

Are the Easter eggs and costumes promoted by the CC as being an essentail part of the holiday? No, they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭swampgas

Surely for something to something to be a religious or spiritual activity, the person doing that activity has to intend for it to be religious/spiritual?

I get what you're saying, Yoga was originally part of a spiritual activity, but that doesn't mean the activity itself cannot be carried out in a non-spiritual way.

After all, when I'm kneeling on the ground digging my potatoes out of the ground I'm not praying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Yoga is a lot like Christmas, firstly used for religious reasons but then over time they were dropped.

• Advertisement

Like it or not, yoga is "a Hindu spiritual and ascetic discipline, a part of which, including breath control, simple meditation, and the adoption of specific bodily postures, is widely practiced for health and relaxation."https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+yoga&oq=what+is+yoga&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8&gws_rd=ssl (Even as I do a little research with Google, the vast majority of sites related to yoga are for more than just the physical aspect of it)

If you look at any main stream dictionaries you'll notice that they include more than one definition for yoga, e.g. from Merriam-Webster
    Full Definition of YOGA

1 capitalized : a Hindu theistic philosophy teaching the suppression of all activity of body, mind, and will in order that the self may realize its distinction from them and attain liberation

2 : a system of exercises for attaining bodily or mental control and well-being

The reason for two definitions is due to the fact that most yoga classes in the west make no references nor involve any Hindu theology whatsoever. Nor are most yoga instructors practising Hindus or even versed in Hindu theology. I would humbly suggest that you would get more exposure to Hinduism in your local Indian restaurant than in your typical Irish yoga class.
    If you are not a practising Catholic, what does this matter to you?

Because I'm a pedantic atheist who doesn't like seeing the religious types mis-labelling things to suit their own dogmatic agenda. In an Ireland that is getting fatter and unhealthier year on year, I also think that any form of healthy physical exercise should be actively encouraged.
    Are the Easter eggs and costumes promoted by the CC as being an essentail part of the holiday? No, they're not.

No, but like most CC priests, our collared friend in Donegal knows better than to take a dig at the many pagan practises that so conveniently fall on religious holidays because he knows damn well his parishioners would tell him to feck off.

Advertisement