Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pasta Quest: DMV. A Pastafarians Journey for Equality.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Go for it. Oh PLEASE go for it, even if you don't need a new one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I'm really not sure why you'd post this here Cabaal. This is the atheist forum you realize? I don't know, maybe Spirituality needs a FSM sub-forum or something. :confused:

/removes tongue from cheek :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

The problem is he lacks authenticity. Anyone can pop a colander on their head.

But if he had spaghetti dreads?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Frito wrote: »
    The problem is he lacks authenticity. Anyone can pop a colander on their head.

Technically anyone can pop a turban on their head too but that won't make them Sikh...I know this for a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Frito wrote: »
    You can post the application photos here for our approval Cabaal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Obliq wrote: »
    Go for it. Oh PLEASE go for it, even if you don't need a new one :D

As tempting as it is my license isn't up for renewal yet and I can't justify the 70e now.

However, I figure this is worth clarifying it with the RSA in the mean time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I'm learning how to drive.

Opportunity.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Hmm... my license is due for renewal next year. I sense an opportunity to do something good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Please someone do it.
    Heres an Austrain one so if they dont let you then your rights are probable being oppressed.
    _54049868_hl_fuehrerschein_110712.jpg
    And our constitution:
    Freedom of conscience and the free profession and practice of religion are, subject to public order and morality, guaranteed to every citizen.

If your religion says you have to wear it, you have to wear it :D
    Please do it :D

Edit: A czech one :)
    article-2382465-1B186FD9000005DC-589_634x440.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I looked into this before and couldn't find any rules or regulations on head gear for drivers license photos here...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Cabaal wrote: »
    (may we honor his holy noodly appendages)

fyp

That'll be 3 spaghetti bolgonese recipes and 1 lasagne recipe.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I looked into this before and couldn't find any rules or regulations on head gear for drivers license photos here...

There is, but I suppose it depends what they class as a religion,
    Head coverings, other than for religious reasons are not
    allowed and hair bands are not acceptable.

Of course the same sort of rules exist in most other countrys,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Cabaal wrote: »
    There is, but I suppose it depends what they class as a religion,

Of course the same sort of rules exist in most other countrys,

Thanks. I couldn't find any details like that when I went looking :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Thanks. I couldn't find any details like that when I went looking :(
    I am seriously considering this for my UK licence. Just checked and it will only cost £20.

I wonder how much checking they do...

I am only new to pastafarianism and would be concerned that my religious credentials would not be up to it.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

MrPudding wrote: »
    I am seriously considering this for my UK licence. Just checked and it will only cost £20.

I wonder how much checking they do...

I am only new to pastafarianism and would be concerned that my religious credentials would not be up to it.

MrP
    They wouldn't dare ask a Christian if they really believed in God when they were trying to cry off working Sundays, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Application form filled out and photo with colander on head taken. Hopefully will get time tomorrow to drop it in to the tax office. I am only changing my address but from what I understand that means a new license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

UDP wrote: »
    Application form filled out and photo with colander on head taken. Hopefully will get time tomorrow to drop it in to the tax office. I am only changing my address but from what I understand that means a new license.

Make sure to let us know of your progress.

Just to let anyone know you can also become an organ donor to get a new licence.

I'm guessing there's a 99.9% chance the tax office will say no the second they see the photo, of course once they do this its worth asking for their rejection to be put in writing :) (I'm guessing they may be reluctant to put a religious objection in writing)

Once they have it in writing I'd say the next step would be contacting the RSA directly for further comment and clarification.

If the motor tax office refuse to put the rejection in writing then I'd look for it from the RSA.

Thats my plan anyway.

Might try renew license based on organ donations,

Are you prepared for two hours in Wheatfield if they refuse?

Maybe I need to do this next week when I am off so that I have time.

One thing I am thinking is they might ask why i am not wearing my pasta strainer while handing in the application. I was thinking of saying that my employer doesn't allow religious symbols (which the they don't) but then again the rule is clearly ambiguous i. e. I can wear it for whatever religious reasons I want. Any other Pastafarians know why I must wear it for the drivers license but not while calling into the office?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Maybe it's a tenet of Pastafarianism that colanders must always be worn when having one's photo taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

One thing I am thinking is they might ask why i am not wearing my pasta strainer while handing in the application. I was thinking of saying that my employer doesn't allow religious symbols (which the they don't) but then again the rule is clearly ambiguous i. e. I can wear it for whatever religious reasons I want. Any other Pastafarians know why I must wear it for the drivers license but not while calling into the office?
    gizmo555 wrote: »
    Maybe it's a tenet of Pastafarianism that colanders must always be worn when having one's photo taken?

Maybe it was a holey day? (Holey, geddit? Colander, holey.... fúck me, I'm hilarious)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Maybe it was a holey day? (Holey, geddit? Colander, holey.... fúck me, I'm hilarious)

* passes Sofiztikated their coat*

:pac:

I think it might be safer to post this application form in instead. That way they need to respond one way or another whereas at the desk they will just point blankly refuse. Also they cannot use any argument about me wearing or not wearing my holey (there ya go Sofiztikated) colander.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

For extra authenticity, don't forget to have a copy of The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (praise be his name) under your arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Surprisingly, you shouldn't need it.

I know what it says on the application form, but in the actual law, enacted under the actual authority of yer' genuine Oireachtas, the only relevant requirement in regard to the photograph is that it should " in the opinion of the licensing authority . . . provide an adequate facial likeness of the applicant for identification purposes". (Road Traffic (Licensing of Drivers) Regulations 2006, reg. 53(1)(b).

It seems to me that you can wear any headgear at all, for any reason or for no reason, as long as it can't reasonably be said to impede facial identification, and the authority has no right to reject the photograph.

So, no need for the Gospel of the FSM under your arm. Just wander in with your well-thumbed copy of the Road Traffic (Licensing of Drivers) Regulations 2006 and point them to reg. 56.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

One thing I am thinking is they might ask why i am not wearing my pasta strainer while handing in the application.
    Because it's my religion, you shouldn't take it out of context, why are you oppressing my faith?

Sent via registered post.

Included a letter too explaining how it might look strange to a non-pastafarian that I have a colander on my head but that I take my religion seriously and that it is not a joke. I also said that I have no doubt I will be treated like any other religious person who submits a photo of themselves wearing a religious head covering.

Included a letter too explaining how it might look strange to a non-pastafarian that I have a colander on my head but that I take my religion seriously and that it is not a joke. I also said that I have no doubt I will be treated like any other religious person who submits a photo of themselves wearing a religious head covering.
    Waiting with bated breath...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Sent via registered post.

I...think I love you.

You've probably made/ruined someone's day at the office.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement