Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on changing jobs

• 18-07-2011 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have recently been getting itchy feet at work and I want to make a move. I was called into two sets of interviews. One of them is down home, money is fractionally less than what I am on where I am (maybe 20 quid a week or so), job is much the same as what I am doing now, but it has the massive advantage of being at home. They offered me the position and are currently waiting for an answer.

The second position is an awesome job, it's for one of the big tech companies (A fortune 500), money is fairly damn good for the area of the country (About 100 - 150 a week more than what I'm on) and the work is likely to be way more interesting. I have been through the first phase of interviews, where I really impressed them (recruiter says that so far the seem keenest about me out of all the applicants they have called back). Problem is that while I have experience in a related area, a lot of the stuff here is outside my experience (But nothing I can't learn). The interview process there is much much more rigorous, and things like my lack of a degree don't stand to me. I am by no means guaranteed to be offered a position here)

They were supposed to be interviewing me next week, but they just called and said it has to be put off for another three or four weeks. Meanwhile, the first company are expecting an answer tomorrow or the day after, and are unlikely to wait if I tell them I need another month (on top of a months notice from current position).

I want to move, that's decided. Do I take the first job, or risk them both by waiting for the second, much better, one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Take the first job
    If the second comes through you can always apologise to company one and hand in your notice

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭checknraise

I would explain the situation to the recruiter in job number 2. If the company are interested in you they should be able to speed up the interview process for you.

Advertisement