Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Query about recovery with Recuva

• 11-06-2015 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Some files were lost due to a re-installation someone did.

It's a new windows install with only one or two programs installed...I assume there's a good chance of getting them seeing as windows probably wrote upon install to the start of the disk where the original installation would have been?

Can anyone clarify? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

euser1984 wrote: »
    Some files were lost due to a re-installation someone did.

It's a new windows install with only one or two programs installed...I assume there's a good chance of getting them seeing as windows probably wrote upon install to the start of the disk where the original installation would have been?
    I
    Can anyone clarify? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure the disk would have been formatted prior to OS install so I wouldn't fancy your chances (I could be wrong of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Windows only does a "Quick" format on install. It nukes the MFT but doesnt wipe the drive.

I'd expect 10GB or so of writes during expansion and isntallation of 7 and drivers, more maybe if updates allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭biketard

You may be lucky... you may not. Only one way to find out really. Do it sooner rather than later, as every time you use Windows, you're going to overwrite more data. And make sure you recover any data to another drive.

BTW, I don't use Recuva, so I don't know if it can recover from formatted drives (perhaps someone here can confirm either way).

I use PC Inspector File Recovery, which can.

Advertisement