Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

notice Period

• 11-07-2011 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi

Anyone got experience of the wording on contracts for notice period. Looking to see how strongly worded (or not) the notice requirement on my contract is.

The wording goes

"[FONT=&quot]The company expects three calendar months notice for employees who voluntarily terminate employment"

[/FONT]
    I see this as the companies expectation rather than any specific requirement of the employee to give 3 months notice..

any one have any thought's on this.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

The contact is there as an enforceable entity should the need be. You might work in a highly skilled area where finding a replacement might prove hard.

If however you were to stat a new job in a month there is no actual way a company can stop you from starting. However a reasonable period of notice would be required. This reasonable period could be as little a single pay period

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That's odd wording. I'd seek professional legal advice, as that's a very specific legal question you're asking.

I had a three month notce period in my last company, and while it's hard to enforce, it is still quite awkward during interviews when you're asked what your notice period is. You cant give a 100% guarantee that you can start in 4 weeks.

Advertisement