Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Final Fantasy 7....by a non gamer

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I did say the game has very little challenge compared to most RPG's but I guess I was totally wrong about that. Disengage smug mode!

I think the only places that will prove a challenge are the two headed dragon, demon wall and the robot in junon. She might even get past them without dying. Other than that she'll breeze through it. It's a great one to start with, she'll have a good understanding of RPG systems while not having been overly frustrated and giving up by the end. Who knows, she might be up to tackling a whore of a game like SMT Lucifers Call soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I know the idea is to let her go everywhere blind, but I would tell her about Gongaga with Aerith and Tifa.

Its the first big hint you get about Zack, and one of the first hints that Tifa is hiding something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Agree with the above as well but for different reasons, I want to hear more about Aeris the slut when she finds out about Zack :)

It's kind of an important side diversion, would be a shame to miss it.

Its also the first hint for Shinra's plan with huge materia AND a nice encounter with the Turks.
    Just make sure she brings the two of them, even just for walking around the town.

On another note, I finished Disc 1 last night. I did almost well up a bit for the death scene. That music is just heart wrenching.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Another +1 on directing her to Gongaga.

I missed this the first time around back in 1997, which was a massive shame in hindsight given how it ties into events that come later in the story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭noodler

+1

Obviously have Aeris and Tifa in your party.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well I did say the game has very little challenge compared to most RPG's but I guess I was totally wrong about that. Disengage smug mode!

I think the only places that will prove a challenge are the two headed dragon, demon wall and the robot in junon. She might even get past them without dying. Other than that she'll breeze through it. It's a great one to start with, she'll have a good understanding of RPG systems while not having been overly frustrated and giving up by the end. Who knows, she might be up to tackling a whore of a game like SMT Lucifers Call soon :)

Kind of difference in what you originally said though!

A couple of bosses being hard isn't the same as "there is no challenge in the game past the first boss".

So yes, I do believe you should disengage smug mode!

noodler wrote: »
    Kind of difference in what you originally said though!

A couple of bosses being hard isn't the same as "there is no challenge in the game past the first boss".

So yes, I do believe you should disengage smug mode!

Those bosses might annoy a first timer but they still won't give them much trouble beyond an annoyance or a game over screen if they are very unlucky/cack handed. That's not what I'd call challenge.

Anyway, you can continue twisting my statements to meet your arguments all you want. I've already been proven outragously wrong when I said catching a chocobo was going to be a pain in the arse for a first timer.

Anyway, you can continue twisting my statements to meet your arguments all you want.

And now be fair, you clearly said there was only one challenging boss in the game and then numerous posters have come back stating they had problems with Carry Armour, Demon Wall etc.

I don't think I am twisting anything!

noodler wrote: »
    And now be fair, you clearly said there was only one challenging boss in the game and then numerous posters have come back stating they had problems with Carry Armour, Demon Wall etc.

I don't think I am twisting anything!

It's not my fault that they are rubbish at games. Carry Armour and Demon Wall were more a nuisance than truly difficult for me. Anyway the proof has yet to come. Unless you give up during the boss fight really you shouldn't have much trouble at all. Even Demon Wall is just about not getting flustered once he closes in on you. If you keep your head straight and keep up the healing and damage then you'll be fine. I think a lot of people just concede defeat to demon wall since it's the first time in the game they'll be put under pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I have to disagree. Having been the one who eventually beat Demon Gate for my friend who was stuck on him for years, I noticed how hard the game can be. He wasn't a very high level, didn't have high level materia or many of the useful enemy skills, and didn't have enough damn phoenix downs. On our first playthrough me and my brothers used the run away command a bit too many times so we were at a much lower level than recommended for pretty much all of the games bosses. Rubbish at games? Well obviously running away too often in a game where the mechanics are centred on levelling up wasn't the cleverest thing in the world, but damn it anytime there was a challenging boss (which was often) we died, changed tactics and tried again, we didn't concede defeat, and we beat the game in the end. It's an RPG, it's true that the game can be very easy if you do a lot of things right, but it's also true that one can miss a lot of things, and do a lot of things wrong in which case the game is difficult.

TBH if you run away from battles it's your own fault. It's like natural selection working in videogame form, how meta.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

On my second playthrough, I had Aerith in my party when I went to Gongaga. I had no idea there was a scene with Tifa as well.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I had plenty of trouble with Carry Armour and the two-headed dragon, but I'd agree that it was due to being a first-timer. Replaying the game, those fights were ok, mainly due to being far better at multi-tasking and planning ahead than I originally was. (I'd forgotten the finer points of fighting them in the meantime) There are certainly tougher fights in other RPGs. Never had a problem with Demon Wall, probably due to luck as much as anything else originally though.

I just got the Highwind, and I'm already dreading Carry Armour.

I think RedXIV's missus will be fine, she had no trouble with Dyne it seems, usually he's not that much of a pushover.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

RedXIV wrote: »
    Only other interesting fact is she's trying to get the victory fanfare as her ringtone, I'm really looking forward to showing her Loz from FF:AC having the same :D

I have the victory fanfare for texts(MGS for ringtone)...:o
    Got it from here, http://www.zedge.net/ringtones/0-1-1-final%20fantasy%20victory/?sug-search=0&searchphr=final%2Bfantasy%2Bvictory&searchcat=ringtones

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭nickcave

I think RedXIV's missus will be fine, she had no trouble with Dyne it seems, usually he's not that much of a pushover.

If you haven't had Barrett in your party very much, Dyne can be very tricky indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Just finished Disc One. Demon Gate without doubt the toughest fight, although the last fight against Jenova on Disc One took two or three attempts because she killed my entire party instantly with "Aqualung". When I did beat her she didn't actually use that move during the battle, and it was quite easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

WTF is this stupid argument about how tough bosses aren't actually tough once you've played the game multiple times?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

keane2097 wrote: »
    WTF is this stupid argument about how tough bosses aren't actually tough once you've played the game multiple times?

Well you have to admit, knowing what a boss is capable of due to previous playthroughs helps?

For example, I died several times against Dyne when I first played FF7, the first time because I didn't expect to be fighting him alone, and after that because I wasn't expecting him to use moves twice in a row before I had a chance to counter.

Same with Lost Number that you beat to get Vincent. That guy destroyed me literally dozens of times before I came up with my strategy on how to beat him and because I still know that strategy, he's no longer as tough.

Its a fact that the first time you play through a game, assuming you can't change the difficulty, is going to be the hardest. The only way I can see otherwise is as I stated early in thread, not getting stuck as much as my missus meant I went into battles on lower levels than her

Yeah of course it is, but we have people claiming the game is easy because the only way you could find it hard is if you didn't already know how to do everything :confused:

Just seems like a stupid way to judge difficulty. I thought the first boss was a piece of piss at the time as it happens, but got killed by Dyna, Materia Keeper, Demon Wall and probably a load of others on my first play through. Next time, I destroyed everyone, because I levelled up more because I knew I needed to.

Judging a game's difficulty on anything but first plays is dumb and FF7 is clearly at least somewhat challenging for the vast majority of people as evidenced here and elsewhere. End of story.

If you have any experience with any RPG before FFVII especially of one in the FF series then the game is an absolute breeze in comparison. The bosses that give people trouble are all present in older FF games except in much more difficult forms. You only found FFVII challenging because it was your first RPG just like you'd find Super Mario World challenging because it was your first platformer. Watch a noobie to FPS games play something that is a total breeze like a CoD game on the easiest setting and see if they breeze through it.

So the whole argument is stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

If you're well acquainted with RPG mechanics then of course FFVII is going to be simple. If you aren't, then it won't be easy. The original argument that was made was that the Scorpion was the hardest part of FFVII for newcomers. Which is horse****.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Yeah of course it is, but we have people claiming the game is easy because the only way you could find it hard is if you didn't already know how to do everything :confused:

Just seems like a stupid way to judge difficulty. I thought the first boss was a piece of piss at the time as it happens, but got killed by Dyna, Materia Keeper, Demon Wall and probably a load of others on my first play through. Next time, I destroyed everyone, because I levelled up more because I knew I needed to.

Judging a game's difficulty on anything but first plays is dumb and FF7 is clearly at least somewhat challenging for the vast majority of people as evidenced here and elsewhere. End of story.

Eh relax.

Mindkiller wrote: »
    If you're well acquainted with RPG mechanics then of course FFVII is going to be simple. If you aren't, then it won't be easy. The original argument that was made was that the Scorpion was the hardest part of FFVII for newcomers. Which is horse****.

It was for me, dsicounting the optional bosses and final boss. Honestly did peopl really find FFVII difficult? It was a breeze for me.

So the whole argument is stupid.

Yep, pretty much fanboys getting their knickers in a twist over, something that wasn't even a negative comment about their beloved game in the first plce but they've made it out to be one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

It was for me, dsicounting the optional bosses and final boss. Honestly did peopl really find FFVII difficult? It was a breeze for me.

FFVII wasn't your first RPG. The point is that you're categorically wrong in saying that FFVII is a breeze for newcomers once they've beaten the scorpion boss.

In case you forgot, you said: "She should be fine with FFVII. There's so little depth to the game really that it's a good place to start. Also now that she has beaten the first boss she's pretty much finished the hardest part of the game other than the final boss."

• Advertisement

Yep, pretty much fanboys getting their knickers in a twist over, something that wasn't even a negative comment about their beloved game in the first plce but they've made it out to be one.

You know you make everything worse with language like this.

It also shouldn't need to be pointed out that the majority of people you talk to about the game on this site are of the demographic for which FF7 was a first sojourn into the RPG genre.

So in terms of how difficult you perceived it to have been etc. you're starting out from a very different frame of reference compared to most people when talking about this particular game.

I think this is fairly obvious, I think you're well aware of it, and I think you act like you're oblivious to it basically to annoy people as a way of making up for the fact you didn't like the game as much as they do.

Advertisement