Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections 2012 (Voting Thursday March 22)

• 15-03-2012 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭

To vote, click here. Voting will take place on Thursday March 22.
    Extra details on how to vote are provided here.

This is a list of the candidates for UL Students' Union elections at close of nominations on Thursday 15 March 2012.

Elections will take place on Thursday 22 March.

As manifestos are issued, feel free to discuss your choice of candidate and why. Some of the candidates have boards.ie accounts and may reply. As usual, If you are campaigning for a candidate or are a candidate, I expect you to declare that interest if posting. This will be done on the honour system, though in the interest of fairness I will point the finger at anyone who disregards this - for anyone who aims to deceive there's a good chance you'll be found out and I'll point the finger loudly (and probably forum ban for the duration). Any attempt to sock puppet will get a loud and public slap. Let people know your connection in your first post and there shouldn't be a problem - actually I'd like to see campaigners posting. Accusations of undeclared interest should not be made on-thread as it'll derail any discussion, use the report post button and I'll look at it (I'm quite good at spotting shills).

If candidates have a webpage and let me know, I'll edit in one link per candidate to an official webpage or facebook page (one per candidate) if they let me know by PM at any point during the week. You may have both of these. One of them will be listed here. It's your choice on which you want listed and your own responsibility to keep information up to date, accurate and link to your facebook page from your webpage or vice versa.

Additionally I will include details of any blogs declared as independent if I'm informed of them.

I'll add any other relevant/necessary details to posts I'll insert immediately below this one. Note that if you want to get replies to this thread sent to you instantly by email, click the "Follow thread" button on the top right of the screen.

Candidates, if you want your boards account to be listed here as verified by me, send an email to sceptreboards AT gmail DOT com (make an email address out of that) from your UL account only (ie your student or your staff account). You'll get a return email email from me to verify your access to that account. I can then list your username in this post as having been verified. It's entirely up to each of you individually but it negates the possibility that anyone can successfully pretend to to be you if you choose to avail of it.

Now the rules are out of the way:) (they're slightly different to last year's so please read them), here are your candidates:

President
    David Hartery URL="http://www.facebook.com/DavidHarteryForUlsuPresident2012"]weblink[/URL [boards.ie account verified as shabouwcaw]
    Eamonn Horgan
    Adam Moursy

DP/Welfare
    William Jennings URL="https://www.facebook.com/WillForWelfare2012?ref=ts&__adt=9"]weblink[/URL
    Kelly O'Brien
    Cathal Ronan URL=https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cathal-Ronan-for-ULSU-Welfare-Officer/262539770498498"]weblink[/URL [boards.ie account verified as cjthecrow]

Education
    Paddy Rockett
    Jacqueline Woods

Council chairperson (part-time, non-paid)
    Liam Gulifoyle (only candidate, deemed elected)

Thanks to Colm Fitzgerald and Dave Ryan for the confirmed list. Virtual medals, folks, I can't afford real ones.

Good luck to all candidates!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Hustings:

Come see the candidates speak and offer their views in a public debate! Ask the candidates questions in a public setting! Don't let them wriggle away with just an online or printed manifesto or a sugar bribe, come and see whether they're actually worth voting for! Don't be shy about dropping in and out to the hustings when you can, it's up to the candidates to sell themselves and convince you that they deserve your vote!

Wednesday March 21, starting at 6pm in KBG12 (that's on the ground floor of the Kemmy Business School)

Election blogs:

ULSU Elect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 eldorro88

Where did you get this info from? Are these the final candidates?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Belly OS

Now that the candidates are official, I'd like to wish all running the very best in the week to come.

It takes a lot to put yourself out there and run for one of the positions. You will all be completely drained by the end of it, but it is a very rewarding feeling in the end, win or lose. I speak from experience here.

I look forward to seeing how the week goes and reading through ye're manifesto's and hope that those deemed elected next Thursday can bring the SU forward for the benefit of all the students.

Again, best of luck to all of you.

Alan.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭djnr8

Apparently it's Horgan not Hourigan
    eldorro88 wrote: »
    Where did you get this info from? Are these the final candidates?

These are the names which were announced at the Union at 6pm this evening.

Although I will be campaigning for one person in each of the 3 roles, I would like to extend my best wishes to all nominees. May it be an enjoyable and enlightening week,

Regards,

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Woodwork4Life

Can we agree on an appropriate twitter hashtag?
    Pretty please.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

#voteUL is probably the best. Twas the one used last year apparently according to ulsuelect.

I too want to wish all the candidates the best of luck. It takes serious balls to put yourself out there in front of the student body, and I think for that everyone listed there deserves serious credit.

And I hope that whoever is elected, they can carry out the position to the absolute best of their ability, 'cos Christ knows the Union needs people performing at the top of their game, now more than ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rebelette2011

This is going to be one of the most exciting campaigns yet! My votes are for Jackie and Eamonn (as I will be campaigning heavily for both) but I would like to wish every candidate the very best of luck in their campaigns!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ditzyish

My vote is going to Jackie and Eamonn....think they will definitely bring something fresh and exciting to the union! I'll be strongly campaigning for both! Best of luck to everyone though...it's going to be a fun week! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Merger

My Vote Will be going toward William, Jackie and Eamonn.

Fresh air is needed :)

Best of luck guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭freyners

right im not involved in any campaign team but my loyalty will lie towards Adam Moursy for president so ill let that be know

No personal favourites for anyone else at the moment, good luck to all candidates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

No John Cambridge? :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Cossax wrote: »
    No John Cambridge? :(

Or no Inanimate Carbon Rod.

Is there any point in voting at all lads? :(

Can we agree on an appropriate twitter hashtag?
    Pretty please.
    As wnolan1992 said, #voteUL probably works best. Nice and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tighearnan

Good to see everyone who is running would do a good job in each office. now to see what each has to offer in terms of campaign idea entertainment :) my favourite over the last four years was Ginges unicorn :)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

We're back! :eek:
    ulsuelect.com will be covering the elections, like last year.

We are still tampering with the election feed, which includes as much up to date information found on the web as we can grab. All tweets with the tags #voteUL will appear, as well as other source as we find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭shabouwcaw

hey guys, Dave Hartery here.

I'll be using my usual boards account for the election season, see no reason to start another one.

Best of luck to everyone running! Should be an interesting week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭freyners

i wonder if cambridge will say anything when his ban expires slap bang in the middle of next week:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 RDJMPC

Ahhh my favourite time of the year

Pity no ladies decided to throw their names in for President!

I must admit that I'm concerned should both Kelly and Paddy be fortunate to be deemed elected, considering they don't appear to be the best of friends. This is even more important this year as the number of sabbats are down to 4. What do people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

I certainly won't be voting for Paddy Rockett. Anyone who lacks the ability to analyse something before jumping on the bandwagon shouldn't be let anyway near an important position like Education.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

RDJMPC wrote: »

I must admit that I'm concerned should both Kelly and Paddy be fortunate to be deemed elected, considering they don't appear to be the best of friends. This is even more important this year as the number of sabbats are down to 4. What do people think?

One of many reasons why they shouldn't be elected.

It would mean 50% of our sabbats could be fighting like petulant children all year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Right, better get my declaration out of the way.

I'll be campaigning actively (well, sort of) for Kelly O'Brien in the race to become the next Welfare Bear(!). Not sure where I'm going after that, but either way I'd like to congratulate all the candidates on getting nominated and wish them all the very best of luck for next week.

No cambridge?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 selfishfish

I think the team of Eamon, Jackie and Will would be perfect! Fresh faces, new ideas, just what we need. I'll be canvassing for Jackie next week as I really don't think we should bring Paddy back for another year!

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

sceptre wrote: »
    As usual, If you are campaigning for a candidate or are a candidate, I expect you to declare that interest if posting.

I'm campaigning for the Inanimate Carbon Rod https://www.facebook.com/ULSUInanimateRod

The Rod is daring enough to put forward campaign points that no one else is willing to. I think Rod would be the best non person for the job!

To get the declaration out of the way, I'll be semi-actively campaigning for Kelly O'Brien for Welfare. Other than that, I have no other affilations to any other candidate.

RDJMPC wrote: »

I have to admit I'm really concerned about this too. I'd have serious reservations that they could work well together given the air of tension which has come out this year. And it has the potential to get even worse next year, were both of them to be elected.

I'd hope that one of the main things both candidates would clarify is that they will put this crap behind them were they to be elected and work on guiding the Union through this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I'm campaigning for William Jennings.

He's a really dedicated, caring passionate guy who will put everything he can into this role. From personal experience I am confident that he's going to do a great job and bring a new fresh perspective.

Will 4 Welfare!!
    William, Jackie and Eamonn 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 colon

People are surprised that Mr. Cambridge didn't make the card! Are any among the self anointed capable of carrying his visionary torch of change? I hope so and wish those that are new to campaigning the best of luck. I think paddy should apply for a job in the stables if he wants to contuinue his nefarious ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Steeevvyb

Hi everyone, Stephen here from Thomond Student Times.
    I just want to put this on here as well as on Facebook and Twitter so that nobody can claim they missed it.

We will be filming a short interview with each of the candidates early next week, more than likely on Tuesday morning. It will take about 10 minutes. Some of the candidates are already on board. If you want to be a part of it, either contact us on facebook or at info@thomondstudenttimes.com

Best of Luck to all candidates.

Stephen Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Declaring that I'll be campaigning for Cathal Ronan for Welfare. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

Just declaring now i will be running an anti-campaign against all candidates.

Advertisement