Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gaming PC build help (~€600)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Serephucus wrote: »
    Is the switch at the back of the PSU turned on? ( I Position )

If yes, and nothing's happening, pull out the big 24-pin connector from the motherboard, and (turning the PSU off before-hand) get a paperclip - or anything metal - and stick it in port 16 (green) and any of the black ports (3, 5, 7, 15, 17, 18, 19). Then turn the PSU on at the back again.

This is the same thing as you turning the power on from your case / motherboard, and it'll rule out the PSU as an offending component, and point to the motherboard being at fault.

http://www.smps.us/atx-connector-20-24pin.jpeg

Oh, make sure to unplug all the other cables from the PSU first (just in case). Easiest bet is to pull them out from the PSU side, versus the individual components.

This. Do it now m8. We will have to rule out component by component.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

AC97 doesn't go anywhere. It's in the event that the board has a different integrated audio which it doesnt. Was about to mention Serephucus' suggestion. :)

Right lads... He must have tried the method above and died, because we haven't heard a word from him so far...

I would suggest to delete all your messages in this thread and delete accounts. When some one asks you say that you don't know a thing and newer even heard of boards.ie!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Ha ha ha! Side-tracked; landlord was over today. Seeing that nothing's on at all I'm still hoping that nothing's actually dead. Will report back after I retry your suggestions :)

Hey guys, can you confirm this wiring layout?

424916_326638167374506_100000849760774_857581_401403781_n.jpg

CPU Cooler to #1

Blue CP & U1 4-prongs to #3

Blue/White cable from front to one of the black daisy-chained molex power cables

SSD connected via red SATA to sata port on mobo (#7-9, 11-13) and one of the black daisy-chained molex power cables

Tiny 4-pronged cable @ end of black daisy-chained molex power cables to #35.

Back exhaust fan's molex cable to one of the black daisy-chained molex power cables

Grey HD audio small cable to #28

Grey USB small cable to #20

Red/White, Green/White, Orange/White to #18
    [There are 2 rows of 5 boxes (the top right hand one has no prong)
    so i've it set up :
    [empty, empty, Orange, Orange, no prong]
    [red, red, green green, empty]

Tiny speakers cable #17

Big-ass power 20-pin + 4 to #10

PCI & SLI into GPU

Front fan molex cable to one of the black daisy-chained molex power cables

UNCONNECTED :
    A lot of SATA connections
    red 2-pronged that the PCE & SLI are chained to
    AC97 that's connected to the HD Audio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Your hard drives are powered by SATA power cables, not molex.
    35 is a 4-pin fan header. The only thing that goes there is a fan.
    The 2-pin bit on the GPU power cables only goes there if there's space for an 8-pin (6+2-pin) connector.

OK! So the PSU works - did the paperclip trick and it works! renewed optimism.

If i were to connect just the power cables 20+4 to the motherboard and turn it on, should i see a Mobo light? and is that ok to do (if nothing else is plugged in?)

Yup, and that's the next thing I'd tell you to do. Go do that, and report back. :)

In fact, you shouldn't even need to turn it on, there should be some LED someplace that will turn on when it detects connection to a PSU on standby.

OK!!! No LED but i connected the 20+4 and the Power on -- now both the PSU AND the CPU fans are spinning!! It might be in my head but i got a little colder, lol.

Will connect everything else and report back :):)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The excitement continues to build!

• Advertisement

Hm, that's weird. What board do you have again? The past three boards I've owned all had LEDs of some sort on them to indicated connection to a power source. The fans spinning doesn't necessarily mean a working motherboard, but it's a step in the right direction alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

If there's a fault in the power switch on the case, you can just short the two power switch pins on the motherboard to start the PC.

Its a z68 mobo, arctic 550w psu. Dis- and re-wired the comp but it's completely dead again - so checking out the main psu power 20+4 power connector and the boot-up little red green and orange leads

If those don't work, any other suggestions? Should a z68 have an LED? Oddly enough the external DVDwriter attached to the USB of the mobo is turning on...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Strip it down to just the motherboard, RAM, CPU and take it out of the case. Connect only the 24pin and 8pin power cords, nothing else. Try to start it by shorting the power switch pins on the motherboard. It will be down at #18, just put the head of a screwdriver between the two pins.

If that doesn't work I can call over to you tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭greenheart

Heye jaykhunter
    I see you got the case :D Did you get the pics I sent?
    Just to let you know I got it built from hardwareversand and the power supply is at the top of the case not the bottom like in your pic, don't know if this makes a difference or not but just taught id let you know anyway.
    I got a ssd aswell but I didn't order a 2.5 bay (or whatever its called) and it's sitting in perfectly.
    Hope you get it going!

Hey greenheart, no i didn't get the pics u sent, could u try sending it again?

in any case, i really would appreciate you taking a look this evening deconduo, whenever you're free! Check your pm :)
    took your advice; shorted it out and both the fan & cpu are on & spinning! can't find an led on though?
    fans spinning; empty case

IT LIVES!

All thanks to Deconduo!

itlives088.jpg

Holy shít, this is amazing!!! WOOO :eek::pac:

well i hope you gave him a good BJ for his work ;)

so what was the problem?

WHAT! lol

I don't know really, I think it was me! He came in, tested it and it was working; put it in, yep it's working, and installed windows and we're off and running! Even sorted the cables out! :):) I think the computer knew it's time to stop faffing about when Deconduo came in the room!

If i were to hazard a guess at something mechanical it'd likely be the case, it's not the newest/most expensive one out there. Or maybe that it's a mid-tower that everything's in a small space & wires might've gotten pulled out a little

WOOT! The room is definitely bluer!

So what's first on the PC shopping list? Skyrim?

I dunno if you've played it, but I find Just Cause 2 to be a lot of fun. Haven't actually played Skyrim myself yet. Starcraft 2 is always worth a look as well.

• Advertisement

Okay. You new to pc?

So first of all get steam.

Them get league of legends, which is free to play.

Team fortress 2 is free to play too.

I personally dislike skyrim with a passion. I would get witcher 2 instead. It's cheaper and way better rpg by all standards. By the time you finish with witcher 2 skyrim might drop in price.

Bf3 is a must on pc.

Starcraft 2 amd war 2 retribution if you want some proper rts on pc.

Settlers 7 - great economy/strategy war game.

Just from top of my head here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Just remember, Never buy anything from steam that isn't on sale!:P

^ That. My game count is currently at 91, and I think the only game I didn't buy on sale was Portal 2. :)

Lads are right. Steam is great platform for your games, but don't buy anything if it's not on sale. Steam got really better lately and they have daily sales, weekly sales, weekend sales now. It's advisable to check steam everyday to see what's on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I'm not a mad gamer but I found the Half-Life 2 series really good.

I have to completely disagree with ShadowHearth on his selection, well some of it.
    I got both Skyrim and Battlefield 3 at Christmas.
    On Skyrim I have cranked up about 135 hours, BF3 I have about 2 hours(and I loved BF2).

I'm playing Portal 2 now coz I'm bored, it's okay a bit of fun.

But what's the point in playing Half-Life or Portal on a beast of a computer? At least not as your first game. I'd go for something that needs some power and will look amazing!! My recommendations would have to be Battlefield 3 and Skyrim. Just go for the one that interests you the most.

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    I'm not a mad gamer but I found the Half-Life 2 series really good.

I have to completely disagree with ShadowHearth on his selection, well some of it.
    I got both Skyrim and Battlefield 3 at Christmas.
    On Skyrim I have cranked up about 135 hours, BF3 I have about 2 hours(and I loved BF2).

I'm playing Portal 2 now coz I'm bored, it's okay a bit of fun.

But what's the point in playing Half-Life or Portal on a beast of a computer? At least not as your first game. I'd go for something that needs some power and will look amazing!! My recommendations would have to be Battlefield 3 and Skyrim. Just go for the one that interests you the most.

It's matter of taste, not wrong or bad list.

For examples clocked in only 10h in skyrim and I can barely play even 10 mins, without puling or meeting one more robot npc copy pasted from village before.

And I clicked in 95 hours in t bf3 already and I am playing it very very lightly.

Plus my list was made with mainly pc exclusives or games which are just super superior, over console versions of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

It's matter of taste, not wrong or bad list.

For examples clocked in only 10h in skyrim and I can barely play even 10 mins, without puling or meeting one more robot npc copy pasted from village before.

And I clicked in 95 hours in t bf3 already and I am playing it very very lightly.
    Sorry I probably should have said in my post. I'm not trying to say your wrong. Just giving a different opinion. Skyrim is a great game in many respects and well worth a play through for most people.

If you only buy it to look at the pretty landscapes it would be worth it :P
    Battlefield 3 should be a great game too and I am very surprised I haven't played it much, but maybe it's just not for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

jaykhunter wrote: »
    WHAT! lol

I don't know really, I think it was me! He came in, tested it and it was working; put it in, yep it's working, and installed windows and we're off and running! Even sorted the cables out! :):) I think the computer knew it's time to stop faffing about when Deconduo came in the room!

If i were to hazard a guess at something mechanical it'd likely be the case, it's not the newest/most expensive one out there. Or maybe that it's a mid-tower that everything's in a small space & wires might've gotten pulled out a little

WOOT! The room is definitely bluer!

So what's first on the PC shopping list? Skyrim?

Yeah skyrim is must buy now with the advent of the content creator and mods :D Be sure to pick up the HD texture pack (for free) as well :D

• Advertisement

for my first ever proper pc game, chose to head to Skyrim! First elder scrolls too, and so for my first ever meme...

qm.gifqm.gifqm.gifqm.gifskyrimmeme.jpg

:p

Also, I dunno about these HD texture packs. I think you need to see 'em running side-by-side to tell the difference!!

Advertisement