Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL DRAFT 2012

• 28-12-2011 11:36pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Its time for the majority of teams seasons to come to an end with just the one game remaining. Time for them to look towards the draft.

This time last year I started a thread speculating what my Carolina Panthers would do with the first pick. I was very wary of Cam Newton as were a lot of people. ( Something Cam himself has blamed on the failings of Jamarcus Russell and Vince Young).

Once again the headlines are being made by more QB's with Luck and RG3 the top two.

Unlike last year its yet to be decided who will have the number 1 pick. The colts really need it IMO. They need someone like Luck to revitalise the franchise and give it a new youthful look. I think the Rams would probably look at a WR with their top pick. From watching the vikings / Jaguars I think they both need to improve their O-Line to take less pressure off their young QB's. Look at Cam Newton in Carolina. His center is a pro bowler this year, just look at the good its done him !

So, thoughts everyone ? Only just over 4 months to draft time :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

The whole Newton thing pre-draft was horribly, horribly overblown and indeed my own conception of Newton has changed this season - he's far more outspoken, smart and articulate than I'd given him credit for. His demeanour should be the prototype for any quarterback in the game; focused, playing the game with a smile on his face and having an infectious swagger. Pure box office.

If Luck or RG3 can do even 60% of what Newton has to invigorate their future franchises in their first season, those teams will have spent their picks very wisely.

By the way, the Rams are trading whatever pick they get, #1 or #2. With Barkley gone RG3 is going to worth an even larger bounty to the plentiful number of teams desperate for a franchise QB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I'm putting together a new mock draft and just wondering - what do you think your team will do in the first round, or what's your biggest needs? Assume that it won't be addressed in Free Agency and that you won't trade picks, that's just too hard to forecast. I have my own ideas on what other teams need, but would love to hear what fans of the teams themselves think. Would really help nail this next mock :)

As a Pats fan, the obvious need would be on defence. Our pass rush needs some attention, as does our secondary and we all know Bill loves drafting for our secondary. However, I'm sure he sees our biggest need as another 2nd round pick in 2013 and will do his damndest to acquire it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Todd McShay from ESPN put together a mock draft

KVnoL.png

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

I'm putting together a new mock draft and just wondering - what do you think your team will do in the first round, or what's your biggest needs? Assume that it won't be addressed in Free Agency and that you won't trade picks, that's just too hard to forecast. I have my own ideas on what other teams need, but would love to hear what fans of the teams themselves think. Would really help nail this next mock

Well, its easy to tell who the Lions will draft. Just go BPA. Every single year its been like this.
    Look at last year. A DT was hardly needed but when it came to their turn, they picked Fairly (who has been playing with an injury all season).
    I think you can be safe to rule out a QB though.

Done before Barkley decided not to enter the draft, though, and that changes things hugely.

Any mock drafts that don't bother to even hypotheses the almost assured trading for position to grab RG3 by Miami, Washington and possibly even Jacksonvile in this year's draft means that the entirety of the mock is a bit moot. St. Louis should use their pick to get the picks they need to ensure their own franchise QB doesn't get battered as badly as he has been this year next season, and probably someone to help Brandon Llyod carry the load out wide. If they are dead set on Kalil then the Vikings' pick becomes the most desirable one on the board.

Assuming the Colts don't do something insanely stupid like, y'know, win this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Justin10

No way the Chargers go Safety in the 1st.
    We need a pass rusher like we had in Merriman, but with McNeill, Dielman and now Hardwick out offensive line may need to be totally revamped.

But if the 3 above stay we could go CB again and put Jammer at safety.
    I will have to presume that they done retire would be something like this.
    1st CB/OLB
    2nd OL
    3rd CB/S
    4th TE
    5th DL
    6th K

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Each year the draft makes me realise how average the cowboys are. As it says they dont have any essential needs. Just everyone seems to be average doing just enough to get by.

Trippie wrote: »
    Each year the draft makes me realise how average the cowboys are. As it says they dont have any essential needs. Just everyone seems to be average doing just enough to get by.

Average?! They have one of the most balanced (and best) offenses in the entire league. With hugely talented receivers like Miles Austin and Dez Bryant, not to mention a new touchdown machine in Laurent Robinson, a very good 1-2 at RB, supplemented by one of the best blocking FBs in the league. Romo is a top-tier QB, below the very elite but still more than good enough to do his fair share and make the opposition respect the pass and then some. On defense you've got among the best line-backing groups in the league in Bradie James, Keith Brooking and DeMarcus Ware.

They underachieve, sure, they've had more talented teams, sure, but it's very hard to say their roster is 'average'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Syferus wrote: »
    Average?! They have one of the most balanced (and best) offenses in the entire league. With hugely talented receivers like Miles Austin and Dez Bryant, not to mention a new touchdown machine in Laurent Robinson, a very good 1-2 at RB, supplemented by one of the best blocking FBs in the league. Romo is a top-tier QB, below the very elite but still more than good enough to do his fair share and make the opposition respect the pass and then some. On defense you've got among the best line-backing groups in the league in Bradie James, Keith Brooking and DeMarcus Ware.

They underachieve, sure, they've had more talented teams, sure, but it's very hard to say their roster is 'average'.

Im a cowboys fan too and this is what I was getting at, they are good but no real special players or no glaring weaknesses. Ware being the standout player on the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Rochey18 wrote: »
    No way the Chargers go Safety in the 1st.
    We need a pass rusher like we had in Merriman, but with McNeill, Dielman and now Hardwick out offensive line may need to be totally revamped.

But if the 3 above stay we could go CB again and put Jammer at safety.
    I will have to presume that they done retire would be something like this.
    1st CB/OLB
    2nd OL
    3rd CB/S
    4th TE
    5th DL
    6th K

Chargers really need to go OLB in the first round. Think its time Jammer goes to safety so need ANOTHER corner is needed if thats the case (fed up of them drafting average corners). Not too worried about drafting OL too early so long as Hardwick stays as Gaither has played very well and Greene can play guard.
    I think TE needs to be second or third round, i'd love to get Hernandez from the Pats for our 3rd round pick but doubt it'd be enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'm putting together a new mock draft and just wondering - what do you think your team will do in the first round, or what's your biggest needs? Assume that it won't be addressed in Free Agency and that you won't trade picks, that's just too hard to forecast. I have my own ideas on what other teams need, but would love to hear what fans of the teams themselves think. Would really help nail this next mock :)

As a Pats fan, the obvious need would be on defence. Our pass rush needs some attention, as does our secondary and we all know Bill loves drafting for our secondary. However, I'm sure he sees our biggest need as another 2nd round pick in 2013 and will do his damndest to acquire it :o

As an (admittedly rookie) Ravens fan, I think we'll look at defence first and foremost in the draft.

Although it's without question the strongest area of the team, the main components of it are getting older and that will have to be addressed. A number of them are also free agents this season such as Ben Grubbs and Jarrett Johnson.

Getting an inside linebacker in now would allow them to learn from the likes of Lewis for a couple of years. Same with Ed Reed at free safety and Matt Birk at centre.

So I'd say those three positions: ILB, FS and C in whatever order.

I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable Ravens fans on here will be able to correct me if I'm wrong though.

Trippie wrote: »
    Im a cowboys fan too and this is what I was getting at, they are good but no real special players or no glaring weaknesses. Ware being the standout player on the team.

I think you can put Romo and Austin above 90% of the league and Bryant clearly has the talent to be the same. Their running game is a combination of talent but ti's hard to think that having a very effective run game (when their FB is healthy) is much of a weakness over having to rely simply on a Christ Johnson or Adrian Peterson for productions.

If the Cowboys win this weekend they have all the tools they need to win the NFC, they're perhaps the only NFC team that actually has the balance that would be able to keep up with the Packers and Saints offensively as well as the 49ers defensively. The same goes for the Patriots in the AFC, indeed only the Steelers have the same balance the Cowboys do and they've managed to win two Superbowls and reach three in the past 6 years.

It's just inexplicable errors that cost them, which is something that's very hard to get your head around because they can play Superbowl-caliber football for 59 minutes and 30 seconds and then choke and throw away games they have no right losing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

LT
    ILB
    C

Brandon McKinnie is not the long term answer. Adequate this season but a replacement is needed
    Jared Gaither seemed to be that player but spent a year out injured, got rejected by the Raiders, cut by the Chiefs and is now superb in San Diego
    That's Gaither for you, he'll string together top quality performances, look like a top ten LT in the league and then start missing games and get a reputation as a malcontent. San Diego should think twice before giving him a long term deal. Though if San Diego have managed to get a franchise LT as a waiver wire pickup it'll be one of their best signings in years

So LT is our main draft need. And Michael Oher is not the answer.
    It was pointed out in a recent game that the Ravens QB does not take seven step drops, coaches have no confidence McKinnie can provide protection for this and struggles badly with speed rushers. I marvel at the time Tom Brady gets behind his line

ILB next, I wonder can we snag Dont'a Hightower. We've been finding UDFA players for years now but let's step it up. It's not a premium position and like running backs, you can get some of these players in the later rounds

C now, Matt Birk will not be back, he will retire Gurode has done well at center when required but not so good at guard. Gurode will become starter and we'll groom a young rookie. As we did we Jason Brown a few years ago

I have not forgotton the FS position, just I don't see a high draft pick being spent here

What I think will happen is our GM trades out of the first round so we have more picks for next year.
    Or if someone wants to offer a second, third and fourth as we got for the Tebow pick from McDaniels, we'd take that.

Last year there was a glaring need, everyone predicted Jimmy Smith and so it was.
    After Jerry Angelo and the Bears messed us about on draft day, that is not forgotten :mad:
    This year I do not see a glaring need and an obvious player in the draft though Mike Adams above would be possible. So trade back for more picks

Free Agency:
    Lock up left guard Ben Grubbs. Promote Justin Boren off the practice squad for backup player.
    Franchise Ray Rice and work on that deal
    Flacco has a year left and he can wait for a deal despite his occasional moaning and claims that he is elite. Hah
    Jarett Johnson will get a payday from the Jets. Good luck to him
    Cory Redding at DE is a beast this season and a leader to the younger players. Give him a two year deal
    Foxworth at cornerback is released, he is one of the highest paid players on the defense. There will be a cap hit over this :(

Was crazy offering Foxworth four-year, $28 million contract, $16.5 million guaranteed.
    That along with offering McGahee a six year deal. Why would you sign a FA running back to a six year deal? He could still be in Baltimore if it were more affordable. Denver's gain

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

What the Ravens fans have said so far is correct but they leave out that we badly need a returner and a special teamer. Players with special teams potential will be prioritised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

True, I'm just looking at top three draft picks

David Reed actually led the league last year in yards for kickoff returns.
    One TD, it was against the Texans on MNF.

Not sure will he be coming back.
    Two fumbles against Seattle and a stupid penalty for throwing the ball at a player more or less cost the game. Of course it's a team game but some coaches would have cut him
    Messed up again on special teams against the niners on MNF. Confidence shattered and the special teams coach led him by the arm to sit down and talk on the sidelines

Looked ok last two weeks but now out on IR. I think he may be back.
    Can't overlook that he led the league and is the best gunner on the team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Would love to draft Kuechly although he probably won't fall that far. If not Burfict. Wouldn't mind giving away for Kuechly.

Second id say we go DT. Maybe Jerel Worthy.

Third and fourth could be a rb or a te. The rest will just simply be BPA.

CB could be targeted this year because of Thomas too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

mikemac1 wrote: »
    ILB next, I wonder can we snag Dont'a Hightower. We've been finding UDFA players for years now but let's step it up. It's not a premium position and like running backs, you can get some of these players in the later rounds

What would you think of Vontaze Burfict either, Mike? Been looking at some videos of him on YouTube and he looks interesting. Seems to be heading to the Ravens on many mock drafts as Hightower is projected to go a few places higher.

Could be more trouble than he's worth mind, apparently he has headbutted an opposing QB, talked shite to every player and official around and many scouts are backing away from him because of it.

I'm sure a kick in the hole from Ray Lewis would sort that though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Tank Carder Tank Carder Tank Carder Tank Carder Tank Carder Tank Carder Tank Carder Tank Carder Tank Carder Tank Carder Tank Carder Tank Carder Tank Carder Tank Carder Tank Carder !

He will be a steal for anyone picking him up. He's a football player through and through.

I love how Burfict plays but IMO he has bust written all over him.
    Also think he could drop into early 2nd round easily just like Maualuga did.
    Many mock drafts had him at 16

Just on the Chargers, so hard to know what going to happen with so many changes predicted but i really like Gilchrist and wright. Imo we drafted them last year for this year. To put Jammer at safety. That move im sure is in the pipe works.
    Biggest need is OLB CB and OL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RGIII

Whatever you do for Seattle don't give us Landry Jones or Quinton Coples! Both are overrated prospects and terrible scheme fits for Seattle but they are constanly mocked to us. 

The Seahawks will probably be one of the harder teams to mock if no QB is on the board. Our second biggest need would be a pass-rusher (DE, DT or LB) but there are no standout prospects at these positions. That is a bit of a broad range but our only pass rush comes from Chris Clemons, the LEO. We need another DE to come in on passing downs, or a pass rushing DT or a LB who mainly blitzes to help him out.

Also could do with an upgrade at WLB. 

Can never have enough WRs or CBs (We play a press, man coverage scheme with 6'0 corners). 

Ryan Tannehill would be a good pick but I'd rather trade down and get better value for him than slightly reach in the mid-first.

So needs would be:

1. QB 
    2. Pass Rusher (DE, DT or LB)
    3. WLB

Dropoff

4. CB
    5. WR 

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I dunno we'll probably try and draft Blake Griffin and have him play kicker when we finally get a pick in the 6th round or something.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I really don't know what Carolina will do. We desperately need to improve our defense. If we can add a few key guys on defense then I reckon we have a good shot at the playoffs next year :)

However theres always going to be the temptation of taking a guy like Blackmon if he falls to us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Syferus wrote: »
    I think you can put Romo and Austin above 90% of the league and Bryant clearly has the talent to be the same. Their running game is a combination of talent but ti's hard to think that having a very effective run game (when their FB is healthy) is much of a weakness over having to rely simply on a Christ Johnson or Adrian Peterson for productions.

If the Cowboys win this weekend they have all the tools they need to win the NFC, they're perhaps the only NFC team that actually has the balance that would be able to keep up with the Packers and Saints offensively as well as the 49ers defensively. The same goes for the Patriots in the AFC, indeed only the Steelers have the same balance the Cowboys do and they've managed to win two Superbowls and reach three in the past 6 years.

It's just inexplicable errors that cost them, which is something that's very hard to get your head around because they can play Superbowl-caliber football for 59 minutes and 30 seconds and then choke and throw away games they have no right losing.
    9th in yards per game, 12th in points per game. Austin is a half decent WR, Romo is a QB with all the tools in the world, but an inability to utilize them when needed. Bryant looks a talent, but has a long way to go to become elite. Running game is ok. But ultimately there is a distinct average-ness about the Cowboys.

You're in dreamland comparing them to both the best Offense and Defense in the NFC. And if (big if) they make the playoffs, they're a one and done team. Which, in fairness, is nothing new.

davyjose wrote: »
    9th in yards per game, 12th in points per game. Austin is a half decent WR, Romo is a QB with all the tools in the world, but an inability to utilize them when needed. Bryant looks a talent, but has a long way to go to become elite. Running game is ok. But ultimately there is a distinct average-ness about the Cowboys.

You're in dreamland comparing them to both the best Offense and Defense in the NFC. And if (big if) they make the playoffs, they're a one and done team. Which, in fairness, is nothing new.

Not really. They are very dangerous in any game because of their balance, someone neither of those three (Saints, Packers and 49ers) have. It's all well and good have a good defense or offense but you're always vulnerable to having a bad day on one side of the ball and crashing and burning (Saints-Rams, Packers-Chiefs). The Cowboys have the personel to put together a two-sided performance and exploit that sort of performance more effectively than almost anyone in the league.

It's entirely possible that they could knock off any of them, but I never said they would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭vinny chase

Buccaneers

Needs all over the place.

LB is a major need, as we really lack quality there. Someone like Kuechly, Burflict, or maybe even Travis Lewis possibly there. We'll be picking too high for any of these though.

CB would seem to be another big need, as Ronde is just getting older and older, and who knows what'll happen with Aqib Talib? Someone like Dre Kirkpatrick or Alfonso Dennard could be the pick, or maybe even Morris Claiburne is he slides, or someone trades higher to grab RGIII.

Playmaker- I've seen some mocks where we've been sent Trent Richardson, but I think any kind of offensive play maker or some of the marquee receivers could also be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RGIII

Lots of talk RG3 will declare for the draft later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GEKKO135

Does anyone know what draft pick the Jets will have?

I'm racking my brains trying to think what position they'll target. I really don't think Sanchez is going anywhere even though i wish he was. I think Shonn Greene lacks explosion and LT is probably finished. The defensive line is also weak.

Any opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

At the moment, they have 16th pick. I'll throw up the final standings for the top 20 after tonights games, and I think they'll go defensive line with that pick IMO.

• Advertisement

Phew. Well done not messing that one up, Indy.

Advertisement