Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cat Detterent

• 31-03-2011 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭

i have an 8 foot height Garden fences at both sides of my garden, and each year my vegetable gardens are destroyed by dozens of stray cats doing there business and tearing the soil up.

I saw a device in a magazine that has metal prongs that can be attached to top of fence to deter cats, but there pricey, so decided to make my own, but by using nails (point end facing up). There is no access to the neighbouring garden by persons as a wall separates our gardens.

My Question is, is this legal to put in place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭thejuggler

I wish there was a viable cat deterrent. My lawn is destroyed every year by the neighbours cats.

What does work in the short term is something with a strong scent - Jeyes Fluid, bleach etc but it requires regular topping up.

Not sure if your idea would work but cats are very nimble and fences are no deterrent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Use anti-bird netting until the plants are big and strong. Have 2 cats myself and it is working out fine on a seed bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Baybay

Cats don't seem to like citrus smells. If you scatter orange or lemon peel maybe that could work.
    I don't know about a large area like a vegetable patch but it certainly keeps them away from selected areas indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If you find something let me know!

My parents are at their wits' end trying to keep cats out of the garden and off the roof, not only because of the nuisance and the noise, but they bury their mess in the flower beds and this is a real health hazard for the grandchildren. They've tried the lot, but to no avail. Currently their flower beds are covered in netting ,but it's not what you want for sitting out an enjoying the garden in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

One thing that will definately work but needs persistence is making them feel not welcome. Chuck glasses of water at them and just chase them off every time you see them near the place. They get the message eventually and give up and stay away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i've tried everything, orange peel, that "cat-off" liquid, those fake cat stands with the glow-eyes, bird netting too, they still do there business on top of it.

Throwing water i've done too, that stops them coming in the day but at night is when they go to work tearing the place up. I would'nt mind but I have 3 dogs (terriers) but they just sit and look at the cats, not even a single bark, probably because I have an indoor cat and there use to her.

The wall above the nails is about 15 feet above it, so they'd have to jump down onto the fence, when they see the nails that might deter them:

BILD1463.jpg

I do know theres some sort of gelatinous liquid that looks like paint, but does not dry, you can paint it on to the top of walls and fences, and once the paint is on you its impossible to wash off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

buy a cat cage. €52 delivered from this crowd.

http://shop.maceoinltd.com/maceoinltd/

buy a cat cage. €52 delivered from this crowd.

http://shop.maceoinltd.com/maceoinltd/

a bit pricey, built the nail railing as i had all the nails laying around.

If I did get that cage, what would I do with the cats once there caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

redser7 wrote: »
    Use anti-bird netting until the plants are big and strong. Have 2 cats myself and it is working out fine on a seed bed.

+1 This works well I have a few off cuts of 3/4 chicken wire that I roll out and stake over seed beds. I put a couple of bricks in the centre to keep the wire off the ground kinda like a tent. When the plants emerge and the location is no longer desirable toilet territory roll the wire up and stick it behind the shed.

johndoe99 wrote: »
    The wall above the nails is about 15 feet above it, so they'd have to jump down onto the fence, when they see the nails that might deter them:

BILD1463.jpg

That looks a bit like the back of a jail yard but if it does the trick.. The problem is cats are buggers to keep out and will usually find another way in.

a bit pricey, built the nail railing as i had all the nails laying around.

If I did get that cage, what would I do with the cats once there caught.

Exactly and as much as I dislike cats doing their business in my seed bed this seems to be heading somewhere we shouldn't be going?

One proven method for the male gardener (apparently)- Anyone remember Bob Flowerdew (great name for a gardener) used to be on BBC's Gardeners World years ago.

Bit of a back to mother nature hippy our Bob but swears that male urine spread over the seed bed once a week will deter the moggies. He also advocated peeing on the compost heap at regular intervals to speed up decomposition. Cool guy kinda glad I don't live beside him though :)

If you are going to try this I would recommend you fill a suitable container and then empty this into the watering can rather than go out and relieve yourself in the garden :D

Antiquo wrote: »
    If you are going to try this I would recommend you fill a suitable container and then empty this into the watering can rather than go out and relieve yourself in the garden :D

I could always tell the neighbours i'm fertilizing the garden. :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

i've tried everything, orange peel, that "cat-off" liquid, those fake cat stands with the glow-eyes, bird netting too, they still do there business on top of it.

Throwing water i've done too, that stops them coming in the day but at night is when they go to work tearing the place up. I would'nt mind but I have 3 dogs (terriers) but they just sit and look at the cats, not even a single bark, probably because I have an indoor cat and there use to her.

BILD1463.jpg

I do know theres some sort of gelatinous liquid that looks like paint, but does not dry, you can paint it on to the top of walls and fences, and once the paint is on you its impossible to wash off.

You do know thats actually illegal and if anyone or anything was fouled up on it or injured,then you can be sued.

Hope you are aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Saw a vid on youtube the other day and they suggested spraying deep heat on to used tea bags and leaving them under shallow soil.

Seems the strong smell drives the cats away, I haven't tried this yet so can't say if it's effective or not.

Saw a vid on youtube the other day and they suggested spraying deep heat on to used tea bags and leaving them under shallow soil.

Seems the strong smell drives the cats away, I haven't tried this yet so can't say if it's effective or not.

That's one of the best ideas I've heard of, i'm gonna give that a go.
    paddy147 wrote: »
    You do know thats actually illegal and if anyone or anything was fouled up on it or injured,then you can be sued.

as i said above theres a wall at other side of fence, there's no way a person can come into contact with my fence. There's also a 25 foot wall at the end of my garden (viking city wall). The cats are all strays, but i do take your point that a person could be sued.

have you a source or link, to show that what i have put up is illegal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Antiquo wrote: »
    One proven method for the male gardener (apparently)- Anyone remember Bob Flowerdew (great name for a gardener) used to be on BBC's Gardeners World years ago.

Bit of a back to mother nature hippy our Bob but swears that male urine spread over the seed bed once a week will deter the moggies. If you are going to try this I would recommend you fill a suitable container and then empty this into the watering can rather than go out and relieve yourself in the garden :D

This works I got my hubby to do "his business" around the barna shed (cats kept going under it) anyway haven't had a cat there since.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

I use coffee over my bamboo's and Hebe's and it seems to work, i also have a supersoaker and that def works...and for the really brave moggy's i have a 7 iron......all do the trick!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

paddy147 wrote: »

I'm no legal expert but for years I've seen broken glass and barbed and razor wire used on top of walls. Railings often have spikes or spiked balls, so where would the justification be in making the posters set up illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

I think that they are illegal if the wall is under a certain height ie people can reach up to it. I was always told if anyone asks just say it was there when you moved in, that's just hearsay though.
    I tried to get the anti climb paint that the OP mentions and it's quite hard to source because paint /hardware shops are all aware of some legal issues with it. That said, I did manage eventually. I'm not sure would it be useful in this situation though, you would surely just end up with black tarry footprints everywhere. Also I'd imagine the cats would try to lick it off with possibly fatefull consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I think that they are illegal if the wall is under a certain height ie people can reach up to it. I was always told if anyone asks just say it was there when you moved in, that's just hearsay though.
    I tried to get the anti climb paint that the OP mentions and it's quite hard to source because paint /hardware shops are all aware of some legal issues with it. That said, I did manage eventually. I'm not sure would it be useful in this situation though, you would surely just end up with black tarry footprints everywhere. Also I'd imagine the cats would try to lick it off with possibly fatefull consequences.

I've seen embedded broken glass on walls people could reach up to and railings are often only 3ft high. I think it would be difficult to establish that this posed any greater danger but I'm open to correction.

since i put my contraption up, there's been no cats or their poo in the garden, seems to be working so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

You might try planting a few plants called "coleus canina" around or near your vegetable bed. Its a plant that cats aren't to fond of so should help.

Maybe that and the use of water would make them get the message as besides from the legality issue regarding the spikes, they can't be very nice to look out at from an asthetic point of view?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭bungaro79

theres been a few strays around our estate the past few months and i've found the odd present for me around the garden it more the fact that i've caught the b******ds inside and think that one may have peed inside too.
    i'm highly allergic to bleach so can't use that around the windows but is there anything else people would recommend??

You can buy "Peppar Powder" in garden centres now.

Its not harmfull to plants,but it annoys cats and will "hopefully" deter them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Maybe you should ask over in the airsoft forum, my guess is they might have some helpful suggestions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kynzvart

I was for ever coming out every morning to find my garden covered in cat poo,until I spoke to a friend who told me to go on the internet and buy some dried lion dung. Bought some and have to say the cats certainly do not like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

A MASSIVE help would be, for cats that are held as pets, for the owners to keep them indoors and not let them roam around willy nilly around other peoples gardens, doing their business and generally being a nuisance.

It's not the cat's fault it's some careless owners that are at fault. Sorry but the truth hurts and no one else is to blame except some owners who let the cats roam free like they are a wild animal and not a domesticated one.

I had a neighbour who's cat never bothered any of the neighbours, because the cat never left their garden and was brought indoors when it wasn't in their OWN garden - a very responsible pet owner I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

vicwatson wrote: »
    A MASSIVE help would be, for cats that are held as pets, for the owners to keep them indoors and not let them roam around willy nilly around other peoples gardens, doing their business and generally being a nuisance.

It's not the cat's fault it's some careless owners that are at fault. Sorry but the truth hurts and no one else is to blame except some owners who let the cats roam free like they are a wild animal and not a domesticated one.

I had a neighbour who's cat never bothered any of the neighbours, because the cat never left their garden and was brought indoors when it wasn't in their OWN garden - a very responsible pet owner I say.

Not all cats are house cats, some actually work for there food. I kept a cat for years and they never got past the kitchen. I never kept them in the house otherwise they get too soft and IMHO its not hygienic to keep a pet indoors. Its also in a cats nature to roam a set area, perhaps with some genetic modification that will be corrected but that's an attribute that makes them such good hunters.

vicwatson wrote: »

Vic,either that cat was too fat or just too lazy to move or else it was on a leash and couldnt move from the garden.

All cats are roamers and its in their genetics to roam around,even the best kept pet cat will roam around,but allways come back for food or when its ready to knap.

So to say that because a cat roams or leaves the garden,that the cats owner isnt a responsible pet owner is wrong.

Cats need excercise too,and unlike a dog being walked on a leash by its owner every day,a cat doesnt get put on a leash and taken for a walk each day.

And to also say that a cat owners are careless pet owners,well thats wrong too.

I take it that you have never had a cat as a pet then,with your postings/comments??

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Zelkova

Get a terrier or a shotgun.
    I've no love for cats,unless you've got a granary and you want to keep rodents at bay there's no point in tolerating them

• Advertisement

Wow,I love the posts that support/promote using weapons and causing cruelty to animals.

Actually,I think theres no such place for posts like these,that support these barbaric cruel actions.

Advertisement