Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

quickbeam wrote: »
    Just read what I've to do the next two days this week. Wow!! I usually check back only once a week for the first run of the week. This time I'll report back for each day, but I reckon it might take a few tries to pass this week.

Have confidence in yourself and give it a go. Slow right down, it's all about getting the time done and not the pace. You might surprise yourself!

That said, if it turns out you fall short there's absolutely no harm in repeating the week. You're doing great.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Just read what I've to do the next two days this week. Wow!! I usually check back only once a week for the first run of the week. This time I'll report back for each day, but I reckon it might take a few tries to pass this week.

If I remember correctly the first two days of week 5 amount to 15 minutes of running, last week you ran 16 minutes each day. Thats how i looked at it anyway and it helped mentally.

Day 3 week 5 is the best day on the plan imo, take it easy from the off and work into it and be prepared for the eureka moment when you finish that 20 minute run.

The best of luck with it and enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Im injusry free again and finished Week 5 Run 1 today, Im really looking forward to jogging 20 minutes in Run 3 of this week. It does get much easier every run.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I completed Week 4 Day 2 last Wednesday but haven't been able to do Week 4 Day 3 yet. Gonna go out and do it tonight!

Always in the back on my mind I have that 20 min run this day next week ! :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

pcuser wrote: »
    Im injusry free again and finished Week 5 Run 1 today, Im really looking forward to jogging 20 minutes in Run 3 of this week. It does get much easier every run.
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    I completed Week 4 Day 2 last Wednesday but haven't been able to do Week 4 Day 3 yet. Gonna go out and do it tonight!

Always in the back on my mind I have that 20 min run this day next week ! :(

Everyone seems to know about that upcoming, except me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Went to the gym tonight for the first time since hurting my ankle (4 weeks ago). I had planned to just use the cross trainer for 30 minutes to ease myself back in. Everything felt fine when on it so I decided to try the treadmill for 5 minutes to see how my ankle felt... ended up jogging 4.5k. very happy with that!

I decided to try the treadmill for 5 minutes to see how my ankle felt... ended up jogging 4.5k. very happy with that!
    Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

Week 4 day 1 today. The first 5-minuter was really tough, and I was worried I wouldn't be able to do the second...but the second felt easier, thankfully. Maybe due to my running along a riverside path up-river first, then turned to come back at the half-way point, definitely an upward gradient on the first half.

The NHS podcast "tip in the middle" was about how to avoid a stitch, I hadn't even thought of stitches until now, and I spent the latter half worrying about a non-existing twinge in my side :rolleyes:

Week 4 day 1 today. The first 5-minuter was really tough, and I was worried I wouldn't be able to do the second...but the second felt easier, thankfully. Maybe due to my running along a riverside path up-river first, then turned to come back at the half-way point, definitely an upward gradient on the first half.

The NHS podcast "tip in the middle" was about how to avoid a stitch, I hadn't even thought of stitches until now, and I spent the latter half worrying about a non-existing twinge in my side :rolleyes:

I've gotten a couple of stitches on my runs! What's the tip? I've been using an app rather than the podcasts.

I did Week 4 Day 3 on the way home from work yesterday.

Then I did Week 5 Day 1 this morning. 5 x 5 min runs. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Still sh*tting it for that 20 minute run........ but we'll see how it goes!

I've not yet got a stitch running, but I have got them in the past during other activities like walking. It seemed to happen to me when I'd eaten too soon before the exercise. For my running, I've been doing it first thing, before breakfast, hence happy not to have any stitches.

I'm not sure what the podcast says.

• Advertisement

I've not yet got a stitch running, but I have got them in the past during other activities like walking. It seemed to happen to me when I'd eaten too soon before the exercise. For my running, I've been doing it first thing, before breakfast, hence happy not to have any stitches.

I'm not sure what the podcast says.

I normally do mine first thing too, before eating.

Yesterday I did the run on the way home from work and I hadn't eaten for ages. I'll see what happens next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

I've gotten a couple of stitches on my runs! What's the tip? I've been using an app rather than the podcasts.

I did Week 4 Day 3 on the way home from work yesterday.

Then I did Week 5 Day 1 this morning. 5 x 5 min runs. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Still sh*tting it for that 20 minute run........ but we'll see how it goes!

Two tips, I think. The first tip was that if it comes on, to use slow deep breaths.
    The second, she acknowledged was unproven, but suggested that sipping water would help.

Amazingly, I actually managed 2 x 8 mins this morning. Though I very much doubt it came anywhere close to the 3/4 mile that it was meant to. I'm pleased to have managed it. I'd have liked a week of this before moving on to a 20 minute run, but, sure, I'll give it a shot anyway, and if not possible, just try again - it seems like a massive jump though. But then again, I didn't think 8 minutes was possible yesterday, and I didn't think 5 minutes was possible 10 days ago, so I might just surprise myself.

I finished week 5 day 2 today, 2 X 8 mins runs. I really enjoyed it and im starting to feel like a runner now. The only down side is I have some type of injury on my left calf muscle. There is a pain at the back of the calf just before my left leg leaves the ground while jogging or when I walk up the stairs.

Hopefully it will be back to Normal by Friday.

I did it!!!! :D:D:D

I can't believe it!!!

A nice morning for it too - mild, no rain or wind. Bloody C25K app started - I got the whole "welcome to C25K from Zen Labs" and then nothing. At the point where my warm up usually ends, and I start running, there was no indication, and none for the rest of the run either - no half-way pointer, or 1-minute-to-go notification, or time for cool-down notification. I haven't figured out what happened there yet, I guess I had messed with some settings accidentally.

But I also run my MapMyRun app (shouldn't have interfered with the C2K5 one, it never did before), so I knew roughly where I was at. I had MMR alerting me every two minutes, so my goal was to do eight minutes - I knew I could do that since Wednesday. Then just do another two, to bring me to 10. And sure by then I was half way there, so I might as well continue, just two minutes at a time. It was tough; very, very tough, but I was dogged and kept going - two whole circuits of my route, so about 2kms in total.

It was a fantastic feeling to complete. I'm feeling very chuffed. My legs felt weird when I was done, like coming back on to dry land after being on on a boat for a while. Is that normal? It wore off after 1-2 minutes and I was fine by the time my cool down was complete.

I haven't checked what I have to do next week yet, but I feel that if I got through this week then I can do anything.

Brilliant , and so you should feel chuffed . Look how far you've come in a few weeks . Congratulations .

That's brilliant, delighted for you! Yeah the great thing about that run is that after being so intimidating, it then makes you realise that you will definitely complete the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Well done on your run. Its a great feeling to be able to run further than you ever thought possible.

I did it!!!! :D:D:D

I can't believe it!!!

Well done quickbeam :)

I was supposed to do my 20 min run yesterday. Unfortunately I cant at the moment due to an injury.

Its so frustrating as I was really looking forward to this run. Hopefully Il be ok for Monday morning. Im itching to go.

Well today was bitter sweet,

I finally got to do my 1st 20 mins run, after thw 12 min mark I was beaming like a cheshire cat as I knew I was going to be able for the run. I managed the 20 minute run and did not find it to hard at all, Quiet the opposite in fact.

However 22 seconds in to the cool down felt a little twinge in my left calf muscle. A few seconds later and it was quiet sore.I think I have pulled the muscle again or may have runners knot.

I play this by ear and see if I can run again this week.

• Advertisement

Arrraghhh!! Well done on the 20 minutes at least. Take care of dem muscles!

I finally got to do my 1st 20 mins run, after thw 12 min mark I was beaming like a cheshire cat as I knew I was going to be able for the run. I managed the 20 minute run and did not find it to hard at all, Quiet the opposite in fact.

However 22 seconds in to the cool down felt a little twinge in my left calf muscle. A few seconds later and it was quiet sore.I think I have pulled the muscle again or may have runners knot.

Congratulations of the 20 minutes,

Bad luck with the twinge, hopefully it is not as serious as you fear and will settle down .

Listen to your body and if you have any doubt rest it until you feel its ok to go again.

The Muppet wrote: »

Listen to your body and if you have any doubt rest it until you feel its ok to go again.

I rested a few days Muppet and taught it was ok. It was not sore during the run at all. I have to go to the Doctor today with the young fella so il ask her to take a look at it.

I rested a few days Muppet and taught it was ok. It was not sore during the run at all. I have to go to the Doctor today with the young fella so il ask her to take a look at it.

No harm getting it looked at if your going to docs anyway ,Do you do a cool down routine? Do do any stretches after your run?

I dont stretch. I always complete the warm up and cool down though, I add about 4 mins on to the cool down, Maybe its time to start looking at stretches.

I was away for work, so I brought my runners with me and fully planned to do Week 5 Day 2 followed by Week 5 Day 3 before getting home.

I only managed to find time to do Week 5 Day 2 but, I must say, I felt great after it! I did both 8 min runs and I genuinely felt I could've kept running all day!

I'm tired after my trip but i'm going to attempt the 20 min run tonight! Wish me luck!

Good luck!!! :)

You could try giving the calves a good massage, you can use a tennis ball or similar, or a foam roller if you have one. If you find any hots spots you can just work away at them for a while whilst watching TV or something. Works wonders for me anyway.

I dont stretch. I always complete the warm up and cool down though, I add about 4 mins on to the cool down, Maybe its time to start looking at stretches.

You will see a lot of conflicting advice regarding stretching . My own opinion is that they are beneficial after a run . When I did the couch 2 5k program I always stretched after the run and got through it injury free despite starting from a non existent fitness base . Here's a link to some stretches that may help if you chose to give them a go.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/how-to-stretch-after-a-run.aspx

• Advertisement

I was away for work, so I brought my runners with me and fully planned to do Week 5 Day 2 followed by Week 5 Day 3 before getting home.

I only managed to find time to do Week 5 Day 2 but, I must say, I felt great after it! I did both 8 min runs and I genuinely felt I could've kept running all day!

I'm tired after my trip but i'm going to attempt the 20 min run tonight! Wish me luck!

Well don't keep us in suspense . How did it go?

Advertisement