Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anybody remember Anything Goes

• 20-11-2005 7:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭

Saturday Mornings on rte 1 I think?? :confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Yes i do unfortunately, presented by Aonghus MacNally and Dave Heffernan who used to do the pop music interviews. Bet its rubbish if one were to look at it today. These things are always better in the imagination

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Oh yes, I remember it alright! :(

Whatshername Fitzgerald used ot make "toys" out of toilet rolls, etc Blue Peter stylee!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Mary Fitzgerald. She used to always be done up in the best of 80's glamour.:D

Though actually, she was a talented presenter. She had good screen presence and was very natural on tv. I saw some old footage of her on some nostalgia show recently. They were making fun of her outfits, but I couldn't get past the fact that she was a good, talented presenter. You don't see a lot of that on Irish television.

It ended in summer of 1986, to be replaced the following October by Pajo's Junkbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭NineMoons

Aonghus McAnally!
    My cousins were in the audience and got a t-shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

I can still remember the music . I think its one of those shows best left in the eighties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Indeed. Presented by Aonghus McAnally, Mary Fitzgerald, Kathy Parke and Dave Heffernan. Included in the gimmicks were

a) The Birthday Roll. You had a birthday. You 'sent it in'. Your name scrolled up the screen along with the names of 150 other like minded tykes. Music inevitably was 'Happy Birthday' by Stevie Wonder, although it wasn't unheard of 'Happy Birthday' by Altered Images to feature

b) The Little Rascals - later 'Our Gang' in what must have been a Marx Brothers style defection from one studio to another. In any case, what would today have Michael McDowell screaming that they all have ASBO's put on them, 6 cheeky oiks would go and have hilarious adventures causing loads of mayhem. Alfalfa had the spike at the back of his head and there was the other fella with the rasping 60 fags a day voice called, funnily enough Froggy.

c) Curious George. If there was anything to make the older siblings want to either put their foot through the telly or switch over to Saturday Superstore to salivate at uberminx Sarah Greene, it was this. You've got a monkey, right, and he's curious. And there's a man with a yellow hat. Who humours the monkey. Meanwhile, over on BBC1 somebody just called Matt Bianco a bunch of w*nkers. And our license fee is paying for a darned monkey...

d) Aonghus McAnallly playing the geetar and wearing GET THIS HAHAHA one YELLOW shoe and one RED shoe. How we laughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

It may look like rubbish now, but at the time it was the bees' knees!

I was on it, once! (my 15 nanoseconds of infamy!)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

In fact, I saw a clip of Aonghus McAnally wearing the infamous one red and one yellow shoes on TG4 the other night. I loved the programme. But I used to switch off when Dave Heffernan came on with the music part cos I wasn't at the age of being interested in unknown (to me at least) bands. Didn't Brush Shiels used to do a guitar lesson segment in it too? Or did I imagine that...

Mary Fitzgeralds "make and do" was class. I can remember running around looking for the necessary items, though I never could find pipe cleaners anywhere and she used them in vast quantities. Drinking straws just don't have the same effect.

I loved Pajos Junkbox too. Grabbit and Fetchet, remember them? He ended up as the guy who died of AIDS in Fair City, most recently saw her in an ad for Shaws ham, dressed in 19th century garb....

Ahh...nostalgia...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Morgans

Didnt spot her in the ad, but she was one of the most promenent nuns in Father Ted abstinance episode.

Advertisement