Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home made storage heater

• 30-12-2013 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭

Hi

We have an old range in the kitchen and we keep it burning though out the day, just for heat, we do not cook on it.

I was thinking about filling the oven with the heat storage bricks from inside a storage heater.

Do you think its worth the effort ?

SB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Yes, it sounds like a decent enough proposal to me.
    You might need to do a bit of experimentation when it comes to controlling the rate of heat output from the bricks, perhaps by opening the oven door a little.

Do you already have a suppy of the bricks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

No I don't have a supply of the bricks, just need to find an old storage heater I guess.

I really want to give this a go.

SB

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Would you be better covering the top of the range with fire bricks. Unsightly and less control but will gain better heat than a small number in the oven. You could create a box with an insulated lid which could serve as a slow oven/warming oven.
    Bricks available in my local hardware for about €4 a pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

In other countries masonry stoves are popular for this reason (thermal mass), however they are not so popular here.
    That's reasonably cheap for the bricks, although I'm sure a large amount are dumped every year.

Advertisement