Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is there a limit to the amount of travel?

• 08-02-2015 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I started a new job three months ago and to say that it has been a disappointment is putting things mildly. On interviewing they promised me the sun, moon and stars and I accepted the job, turning down another job, on the back of these promises. They spent ages going on about how much they value work-life balance. I am unhappy with a variety of aspects of the job but I have a major problem with the travel.

The job advert I responded to did not state that I would be required to travel. At no stage during the interview process did they mention that I would be required to travel. My contract states that I may be required to travel occasionally. I left my last job because of the frequency of travel. I have very young children and I want to spend time at home with them. Anyway, I have had to travel, staying overnight most times, on a weekly basis. I have also had to pay for my own hotel and car rental, on a few occasions, even though the company is supposed to pay the bill when they book the hotel room.

So, do I have any grounds for complaint regarding the frequency of travel or should I just suck it up, see out the remainder of my six months probation and move to another company? I have spoken to HR regarding the issue of paying for my own hotel and car but they just said that these things happen and I can claim the money back through pay roll, if I have the receipt. This process takes six weeks. My manager agrees that the frequency of travel is excessive but doesn't feel that it is within her remit to do anything about it; her standard response to any issue I raise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I would not even see out the six months - start looking for a new job now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Yep, I'd be out of there. Probation has nothing to do with it; that's to decide if they want to keep you on. Having a weak manager won't help things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭skallywag

I'm surprised that the requirement for frequent travel was never mentioned during the interview, if I'm interviewing myself for a role with such a requirement then I will be certain to point it out, as it's one of the key aspects of the position which will clearly suit some people.

On the other hand, you mention that you left your last job because of the frequency of travel. It would thus also strike me as odd that you did not enquire about this yourself at interview.

I would propose that you point out to your manager in pretty blunt terms that if the travel situation does not change then you do not see any future for yourself at this company. How often are you away, is it more or less every day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

If frequency of travel in your old job was an issue, why didn't you bring it up in the interview? Surely after being put out of joint with it before it would be up at the top of the list of things to avoid when taking a new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Probation is also for you to suss out if the job is for you. If I were in your boots I'd be dusting off the old cv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Kinet1c wrote: »
    If frequency of travel in your old job was an issue, why didn't you bring it up in the interview? Surely after being put out of joint with it before it would be up at the top of the list of things to avoid when taking a new job.

Because as he said himself...
    The job advert I responded to did not state that I would be required to travel. At no stage during the interview process did they mention that I would be required to travel.

So (like most of us) he accepted the job on this basis and it's only since he actually started that he discovered that travel is in fact a requirement.

Misrepresentation of the role anyway, but having to pay his own costs if the process is that the Company should do this plus a weak unhelpful manager would be a bigger warning flag that you're not gonna get anywhere with them.

Like others have said, it's time to move on I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I have also had to pay for my own hotel and car rental

The travel issue aside, take this matter up with your manager and if your manager is ineffectual, go to HR straightaway. Your employer is being paid good money to send you where ever they are sending you. Paying for your own accomodation and or car rental is not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Everyone is allowed a mistake. Learn from it and move on. Quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭irelandrover

syklops wrote: »
    The travel issue aside, take this matter up with your manager and if your manager is ineffectual, go to HR straightaway. Your employer is being paid good money to send you where ever they are sending you. Paying for your own accomodation and or car rental is not on.

I assume they claim back the money. It just takes a little while.

If i was you i'd start looking for a new job straight away. Bring up the issue with your manager as well. You can job hunt and try improve the current situation at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Before you jump see if you can change the game...\

(1) On Expenses, sit down and calculate in advance what a typical trip costs and request the money in advance as a condition of traveling. This is reasonable and most companies with expense systems allow for this. Unsurprisingly, expenses are processed much more quickly when you owe the company money :-)

(2) It sounds like you have a weak manager, "My manager agrees that the frequency of travel is excessive but doesn't feel that it is within her remit to do anything about it" I would recommend speaking with their manager or HR (Or Both), if you are a valuable skilled employee, then the company should be able to be flexible to keep you to the benefit of the business. Perhaps this travel was part of that managers responsibility and they have passed it off to you, perhaps the travel could be shared.

It is still not easy to get suitable jobs, perhaps you should get creative in trying to change the role before bailing.It is probably easier than getting another job and you have nothing at all to loose in pushing as hard as possible to get the role that you expected and need.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Because as he said himself...

So (like most of us) he accepted the job on this basis and it's only since he actually started that he discovered that travel is in fact a requirement.

Misrepresentation of the role anyway, but having to pay his own costs if the process is that the Company should do this plus a weak unhelpful manager would be a bigger warning flag that you're not gonna get anywhere with them.

Like others have said, it's time to move on I think.

If it's the main reason (or one of them) then it should still be asked. I always ask in an interview if there is travel required, can I work from home, is out of hours support required etc. even if it's not in the job spec because I don't want to get blind sided when I start. In the case where I'm happy to do that stuff I'd be in a better position to negotiate what I feel I'd be willing to work for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

On the subject of having to pay yourself, if travel is frequent you should have a company credit card for this. That way, if it takes 6 weeks to repay, it's their problem. In fact, there's no excuse for a 6-week turnaround for expenses - 2 weeks is an absolute maximum.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Unfortunately for you, travel is part of this job so from that perspective you are onto a loser. If it's something you wanted to avoid I would get your CV out again. At an interview you can be quite honest and say you were expecting the position to only have occasion travel and it has not transpired that way and you were finding the travel is causing a strain with your home life.

On the expenses side if you are traveling so frequently then the company should make allowances for you. A company credit card should be the norm for people who are like you traveling and staying in hotels on business on a weekly basis. If the credit card option is not in place the I would suggest putting all your expenses accrued so far into a spreadsheet showing the average monthly expenses and request that the company forwards this amount to you in advance every month and that it is tidied up at the end of the month with receipts etc. That way you shouldn't be significantly out of pocket unless it is a particularly onerous month travel wise.

Advertisement