Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1 hours notice - contract not up

• 31-01-2015 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello folks.

I've worked with a company for almost one year. Yesterday, at 10.00am, my boss said he would chat to me later about renewing my contract, at about 3 or 4pm. I thought it might be a good sign - he wanted to talk about it!

At 4.30pm, my boss took me into his office, to discuss renewing my contract, told me that the company has decided not to renew my contract as my position has "run its course" and they no longer require my services.
    He said that I would finish up, at 5.30pm (yesterday), and "that would be it".

My contract's not up until Monday week, and I think that just one hours notice, to pack my stuff & say my goodbyes is slightly unfair.

Thoughts??

(Mods - feel free to move this if its not in the right place!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Work Problems

dudara

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

With less than a years notice you've not much rights especially in a fixed term contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

If you have a fixed term contract until Monday week, they still have to pay you for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

depending on type of work it can be normal to companies to pay you out your notice/contract period - possible access to sensetive materials, sabotage, etc. Ray d'Arcy recently spoke out of having no time to say goodbye to anyone once he had told station bosses he was leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I think this is sometimes being called being put out on Gardening Leave. Basically the company will have to pay you until Monday but can remove you from the building immediately to prevent you accessing sensitive information that could be used by you if you start working in a similar business/area.

One of the most common industies that you here of gardening leave is in the hair/beauty industry where lots (not all) people are asked to leave immediately once giving their notice/being told their contract is not being renewed to prevent them from copy clients details to pooch clients to their new place of work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,395 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Depends on your work really, i have seen IT contractors getting the same notice simply because they have access to systems and passwords etc would need to be changed when gone. It also gives people no time to download/copy sensitive material that could be used against the company if that person moves to a rival company.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

It also gives people no time to download/copy sensitive material that could be used against the company if that person moves to a rival company.

gotta say I never understand this....if somebody wanted to do take sensitive material, they'd have already done it before they quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

daheff wrote: »
    gotta say I never understand this....if somebody wanted to do take sensitive material, they'd have already done it before they quit.

You wouldn't believe just how dumb some people can be.

Particularly ones who would something like that so blatantly.

Advertisement