Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

* ~** ThemeParks megathread **~**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

get the train to stoke-on-trent and then get the x39 bus from the train station, which'll take you right there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Tis an excellent spot. garenteed a great day out. Info on trains other than Virgin can be found on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

can't seem to get a train from leeds to stoke-on-trent.. and the all-inclusive packages don't run from leeds at all.. so (you people that know england and its train routes) ..what are my options..?

bumpdiddledeebumbbumbumb

... need info before thursday, can anyone help me out?

Could you hire a car Nick? It seems Nation express no longer run a bus service.

If not you can probably get a train from Leeds to Stoek on trent and then get a bus/taxi to Alton Towers.

Also try ringing Alton Towers direct and ask them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Scrappy]-[Nick
    can't seem to get a train from leeds to stoke-on-trent
    Go here and check for times. The train will take you just under 2 hours and there's always a change.

gone and back..

had nothing organised before i went but it couldn't have worked out any easier.
    got a ticket from manchester to leeds at around 6:30, arrived in manchester and got a train from there to stoke about 5mins later. from there we had to wait no longer than 10mins to get the x39 (thx daveg) bus (towers tickets included) straight out to alton towers - (air rocks) (..and so did the damien rice in leeds)

Glad to hear it all worked out. You have to remember not every country in the world had a public transpost system as fúcked up as ours.

I've been to Alton towers twice. Tis an excellent place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

bringing kids to Euro Disney or Wexford during summer got a quote for 4 nights in Euro Disney staying in the theme park for 2402 euros without flights.
    3 kids 2 adults going anyone been there for a little bit less than 2402.
    1st family holiday so want to go somewere where kids will have fun eurodisney seems to be a good idea but not that price.
    I wouldn mind not staying in the park and getting hotel outside it.

Anyone done this before?
    Thanks.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

I did it a few years ago and stayed in the Davey Crocket log cabin area. It is a bit off site and requires a car but it was good. Not too sure on price though.

My brother did the on site hotel thing last year and loved it. A big tip he told me was to purchase your park tickets seperately. When booking the hotel tell them you have season tickets for the park then when you get there buy your tickets on the gate. I was told there was a big saving doing it that way.

Cal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭chopster

I too was looking into this but the prices seriously put me off just for a few days ! However i came across this hotel here , ten mins from charles de gualle and has a complimentary shuttle bus to disneyland , again a ten mins ride.

Now the best part depending on when you go the rate is around €150 in your case for a room that can sleep 6. So if you go for four days that would be aound €600 , and have some change from €2402 to buy the kids those rediculous mickey ears :p .
    The other thing is that the hotel is extremely kiddie friendly. Hope this helps somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

That hotel looks superb, although the prices are for off season i dont think they be much dearer. The free bus makes it a winner for me :)

We booking soon thanks :)

/pah who needs travel agents, boards is fine :)

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭chopster

np , just tell me how you get on once you get back as i may head for there during the summer also , taking the kids to portugal first in Easter then will look for something during the summer.

By the way just click on 'Rates' to see just that on the page and peak season is still under €200/night .

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

boards.ie does it again.... did some searching and saved money and hassle.

for the fun of it we got a quote of 2100 yoyos for 3 nights in eurodisney not including insurance

so, got online and used some recommendations from threads in this forum
    it's 2 adults and 3 kids for 4 nights

hotel : here
    worked out at 450 euro for a big room which has a double bed, 2 single beds and (wait for it) a separate 'bunk room' with bunk beds. Some parents don't like sharing bedrooms with their kids... we're in that camp. Thanks to chopster for the recommendation

flight : ebookers.ie return flights with cityjet 850 euro

tix for eurodisney direct from their website - three day pass worked out at 450

insurance - got it online for 72 euro for the year... saves us again in the summer for our holiday in july

all done from the comfort of my kitchen table with email confirmations in minutes.

who needs travel agents ? (somehow I feel the savings will be eaten up in merchandise when we get there.... better off in my kids pocket's I suppose)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

a friend of mine flew with ryan air and then took a taxi straight from the airport down, sounds daft, but there was a gang of them, and by the time he added up the bus into paris and the train to eurodisney from there, it came out cheaper, so the taxi was great, he also went down and collected them for the home journey, he charged around 120 for the trip down and 170 for going down and collecting them for the return journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

We stayed at one of the hotels there in Oct 02 for 3 nights. 2 adults, 1 kid for $1000. Park tickets were included in that. Bought online at their website. I think the hotel was called Santa Fe. It was in the park and 5 mins from the main centre.
    You could access both parks in & out all day no restrictions.

I highly recommend the Aersosmith Rollercoaster.

If the place is busy, as it was when we were there (mid term), you will need to book the restaurants well in advance.

Also, the weather is unpredictable, so bring rain gear. If you don't you can get rooted to the hotel all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Thinking of heading to PortAventura with my girlfriend this September. Prices for flights seem quite cheap from Ryanair (€179 return for 2 inc taxes). Could anyone recommend a place to stay? We are hoping to have easy access to the theme park and to the train station to get into Barcelona. I checked one on site hotel and it was €924 for the week!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

In the middle of April, I travelled to Salou (Reus) airport with Ryanair on a Thurs, coming back on a Sunday, and stayed in the Calypso Hotel in Salou. Total cost (flights and hotel for three nights incl. breakfast — €167). Could have gotten in cheaper (€142 total), but there were a bunch of us going and we wouldn't have all gotten the same gotel.

Got the little toy train for €2.50 out to PortAventura and it was €34 entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

The hotels are lovely in the Port Aventura grounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Hixfunk

Yeah yeah yeah Buckfast, and what else did you get up to in Salou???

• Advertisement

Spent most of my time in gay bars with my good friend KH!

Waaaay mucker. Bout time you signed up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Puerta Ventura.....

Sorry for being annoying but I couldn't help it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Keyzer wrote:
    Puerta Ventura.....

Is it? Seems a bit odd that the official site is http://www.portaventura.es/home.asp

Keyzer wrote:
    Puerta Ventura.....

Not annoying, just makin yourself look like a complete d!ck.

Puerta Ventura is in Panama isn't it? Bit of a walk from Salou, not sure if the toy train will bring you there.

Not sure if Michael O'Leary would bring you long haul for that price (original post) either.

ROFLMAO at keyser.

EDIT: SP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 poppins9000

One is in the canarys.....the other is the theme park in spain...
    No wait im wrong there...thinking of fortaventura in canarys... I take it back, before ye hammer me! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

That would be Fuerteventura :p

One is in the canarys.....the other is the theme park in spain...
    No wait im wrong there...thinking of fortaventura in canarys... I take it back, before ye hammer me! :rolleyes:

In fairness, there was no ambiguity about mbroaders original question — he called it Port Aventura and even said it was a theme park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Hixfunk

Buckfast....ya need to keep a lid on that temper of yours.

Port Aventura is class, the Dragon Khan is definetely woth the whole trip.
    Just don't go on the swing ride, heard that they can be scary, ain't that right Buckie?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Puerta Ventura.....Sorry for being annoying but I couldn't help it...

I love it when people correct others and turn out to be wrong. If I were going to be annoying enough to correct someone I'd at least check that my information was right! Puerta Ventura and Port Aventura aren't even pronounced the same way.

• Advertisement

Myself, the misses and 6 year old son will be in L.A. for 3 days/4 nights in Jan 06. Any tips on the following would be much appreciated:
    • Should we hire a car? Is it a nightmare to drive in LA.
    • Will be staying in the Sheraton Universal. Has anyone stayed in this hotel?
    • To see the sights were we planning on taking one of the day tours. Any tips on which one to take? What sights should we see?
    • Any tips on outlet shopping?
    • We want to spend a day at a theme park as well. Which ones the best? We were thinking 6 flags as we have been to Disney/Universal in Orlando.
    • Is LA as dangerous as it sounds? What should we not do and where should we not go?

Any other tips?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement