Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S3 Problems

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I see it in the status bar alright, but defintley doesn't show up as a badge in the icon. I have the icon docked on my locke screen and main home screen, so a badge would be handy

Check for a widget, most messaging apps have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Ste- wrote: »
    For those with the battery drain form cell standby.
    Have a read of this.

Seems drastic, does that mean rooting and flashing?

Are samsung likely to issue a firmware update to fix this?

Not sure if it's the "reporting" of it that's a problem. More that the activity itself is eating battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭touts

Will they issue a firmware update for ICS? Jellybean is being unveiled this afternoon so I expect they have already factored that into their plans for the S3. The fix could be part of that update.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SpudGunr

Hi Guys. The video player on my S3 keeps freezing when I go into it (thumbnail view). Any suggestions as to a fix or reason for it happening would be appreciated!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Its only a fix to get the correct figure reported - it does not fix any problems with cell standby (not that I have any).

Seems drastic, does that mean rooting and flashing?

Are samsung likely to issue a firmware update to fix this?

Not sure if it's the "reporting" of it that's a problem. More that the activity itself is eating battery.

• Advertisement

elderlemon wrote: »
    Its only a fix to get the correct figure reported - it does not fix any problems with cell standby (not that I have any).

I think my issue is with an actual drain rather than a reportinf issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Samsung would wanna get hurrying up with their firmware updates!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Problems with the S3............mine's a cracker in all respects, most owners will back me, battery lasts all day, about the same as my old Desire HD

bogman wrote: »
    Problems with the S3............mine's a cracker in all respects, most owners will back me, battery lasts all day, about the same as my old Desire HD

Happy with mine now too. My only gripe was battery life and that has really improved with juice defender.

No regrets on moving to s3 from iPhone 4 so far, although the itunes elements of iPhone are far better than the Samsung kies interface.

Happy with mine now too. My only gripe was battery life and that has really improved with juice defender.

No regrets on moving to s3 from iPhone 4 so far, although the itunes elements of iPhone are far better than the Samsung kies interface.

is the free version of juice defender any good?? Or are you referring to the pro?

• Advertisement

Davie89 wrote: »

is the free version of juice defender any good?? Or are you referring to the pro?

Free version works very well, but I got the pro version because it allows a bit more control over the way it deals with Wifi and lets you setup profiles for how specific apps work.

Try the free one first anyway and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭kenyard

Free version works very well, but I got the pro version because it allows a bit more control over the way it deals with Wifi and lets you setup profiles for how specific apps work.

im still confused why people need it. when im not using my phome battery drains ~1% per hour.
    off thar basis i reckon i cud get 3-4 days easy off my phone...though its lasting ~1.5 due to using it.

overnight im getting <10% DRAIN although i do turn wifi and data off.

kenyard wrote: »

im still confused why people need it. when im not using my phome battery drains ~1% per hour.
    off thar basis i reckon i cud get 3-4 days easy off my phone...though its lasting ~1.5 due to using it.

overnight im getting <10% DRAIN although i do turn wifi and data off.

Overnight I'm getting practically no drain with juice defender switched on. I had 4% left at midnight last night and decided not to charge it just to see if there was anything left in the morning.

It had 2% left at 8 this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

I have 2 issues with mine. One minor one is if i set alarm for 6.00 it goes off at 5.57? Always goes off 3 mins before its supose to. And when i receieve a txt msg or email only hear half the tone and then ij stops. Anyone else have the same or any solutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Immelman

Marco85 wrote: »
    I have 2 issues with mine. One minor one is if i set alarm for 6.00 it goes off at 5.57? Always goes off 3 mins before its supose to. And when i receieve a txt msg or email only hear half the tone and then ij stops. Anyone else have the same or any solutions?

It's the pre wake smart alarm setting which you can turn off. It is in the specific alarm settings.

Marco85 wrote: »

There is a setting in the alarm for it to "gently" wake you by starting the alarm a bit earlier with a gradual increase in volume until the actual alarm time. Have a look in the settings

I find that if I hit the home button to come out of a browser, it takes a second or 2 to repopulate the icons and widgets, they're just not there when I hit the home button.

Anyone else get this too?

Any solutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I think this may be the phone waiting to see if you press the home button a second time - activate S Voice. I believe if you turn this setting off, it should solve your issue

There is a setting in the alarm for it to "gently" wake you by starting the alarm a bit earlier with a gradual increase in volume until the actual alarm time. Have a look in the settings

that gently wake thingy just put me further asleep its so mellow :P
    i also set my alarm 3 minutes later than i want now caus of it too haha.

as for that home button issue i dont find it. maybe you have power savings enabled? i have noticed periodic lag when its enabled, i guess it does underclock the processor a bit, though not entirely sure how it works. i have s voice enabled and it dosent do it, though s voice to me is a bit pointless atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭xnightwishx

kenyard wrote: »

that gently wake thingy just put me further asleep its so mellow :P
    i also set my alarm 3 minutes later than i want now caus of it too haha.

as for that home button issue i dont find it. maybe you have power savings enabled? i have noticed periodic lag when its enabled, i guess it does underclock the processor a bit, though not entirely sure how it works. i have s voice enabled and it dosent do it, though s voice to me is a bit pointless atm
    You can turn off the 3 minutebalarm thing. When u go to set the alarm time just untick smart alarm!!

I reset my phone to fix thay original wifi problem and now a week later its happened again!!! So sick of this!! N now its been 31 days so i probably wont get a replacement. Grrrr!!!

• Advertisement

Downloaded juice defender,,,, got two days outta the battery with 5 hours screen time, battery problem solved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Lads,

This is driving me insane.....played golf twice in the last two weeks with the SGIII in the bag.

Both times it has gone off even though its on mute (I thought).

There doesnt seem to be a one button trick to mute the phone.....any ideas?

First of all its not an iphone. There is no single button to mute it.

First way - turn the volume down to min. That mutes the speaker but leaves it on vibrate. Down another notch and its silent and no vibrate.

Another way - pull down the notification bar and click on the "sound" button at the top. First click puts it into vibrate, second mutes it completely.
    Lads,

This is driving me insane.....played golf twice in the last two weeks with the SGIII in the bag.

Both times it has gone off even though its on mute (I thought).

There doesnt seem to be a one button trick to mute the phone.....any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭apple26

i just upgraded from SI to the wonderful SIII, my only gripe so far is with the predictive text. There is no option to insert a word into the predicitive text when typing. It's so annoying to have to change the keyboard settings everytime I want to add a word that isn't recognised by the predictive text. Is there anyway to sort this out??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

apple26 wrote: »
    i just upgraded from SI to the wonderful SIII, my only gripe so far is with the predictive text. There is no option to insert a word into the predicitive text when typing. It's so annoying to have to change the keyboard settings everytime I want to add a word that isn't recognised by the predictive text. Is there anyway to sort this out??

Cant say I know how to solve that for you as with the stock keybord I think you have to dive into the settings each time... But have you looked into SwiftKey3? In only seconds it learns from your sent texts, Gmail, Facebook and twitter! Once done your words are already to go. plus when you do change something on the fly it remembers it too.

Love SwiftKey!

lots of people commenting on not being able to add words, it seems samsung didnt give much thought to the stock keyboard. just download a few from the market place and see which one you like :)

Ditto about switftkey. easily the best keyboard out there (on any handset). Just type any word and if its not already in the switftkey dictionary then it will add it.

If there already is a word in there that you want to remove or correct then type it in and when it shows in the completion bar press and hold it - you will get an option to remove it from the dictionary.

god's toy wrote: »
    Cant say I know how to solve that for you as with the stock keybord I think you have to dive into the settings each time... But have you looked into SwiftKey3? In only seconds it learns from your sent texts, Gmail, Facebook and twitter! Once done your words are already to go. plus when you do change something on the fly it remembers it too.

Love SwiftKey!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

elderlemon wrote: »
    First of all its not an iphone. There is no single button to mute it.

First way - turn the volume down to min. That mutes the speaker but leaves it on vibrate. Down another notch and its silent and no vibrate.

Another way - pull down the notification bar and click on the "sound" button at the top. First click puts it into vibrate, second mutes it completely.

I've come from a nexus s. it was simple on that, just turn the sound down with the button on the left of the phone.

I think i have fixed it though.....silent mode was on vibrate, its now on off.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Just got my SIII. Have managed to get a fair battery life balance, but looking to improve.
    Does anyone actually have Juice Defender installed on their SIII and does it actually work?
    I've read quite a few reviews that say it does not work properly with the SIII. Is there a specific version to install?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Seb_bixby

Hi guys, On my phone the contacts list have no pictures added to them. Everything has been synced and all contacts there just no pictures. Is there any way of adding these. I just can't find anything in settings. Thanks! :)

Advertisement