Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling a used car in Ireland guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

SRFC wrote: »
    Friend has a car he's looking to sell anybody and idea how much to put it up for?

Its a Volvo s40 2006 1.8Petrol with 60k miles on it,full cream leathers mint condition throughout,how much is it worth im seeing any where from 4500 to 6500 online,

cheers

I might be interested in it, do you want to PM me details & a link to photos? Where is he living?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

dinneenp wrote: »
    I might be interested in it, do you want to PM me details & a link to photos? Where is he living?

Think he's putting it on donedeal this week ill tell him I know ya get it bit cheaper :D will pm you the link or number later when I talk to him hes based just beside the pheonix park.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sellers, please have recent pics on your ads!
    Drove today to see a car that was spotless on the ad pics. When I got there it was clear the the pics was from years ago when the car was indeed pristine.
    It wasn't any more...

Case in point (this is another car)
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4694553
    Ad is from March 2013, pics are from.. well have a look
    View2-18158065.jpeg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

biko wrote: »
    Sellers, please have recent pics on your ads!
    Drove today to see a car that was spotless on the ad pics. When I got there it was clear the the pics was from years ago when the car was indeed pristine.
    It wasn't any more...

very unfair of the seller .....

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4423818

There is no insurance or tax on the car as my son got a good job in London late last year.I was holding it for him but he said recently he wont be coming home and to sell it. Any ideas on what i should accept for the car?He looked after it very well.Anything else i can do to improve the advert? Also on carzone.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Sunshine87 wrote: »
    I'm putting my car up for sale in the next week (as i'm emigrating), and i'm new to selling privately! ...
    An alternative guide is here - http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=120880

• Registered Users Posts: 3 8noodles8

I'm emigrating and need to sell my skoda Citigo that I won in January. It's a 2013 1.0L. Excellent car. Looking for €9150 check it out. http://www.adverts.ie/car/skoda/other-skoda/2013-skoda-citigo-for-sale/2766137

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Donie75

Hi all, I've just sold my wife's car and I have to say that Carzone was absolutely useless. I didn't get a single call from it (I asked each caller).
    I went online yesterday to cancel the Carzone ad and I saw that I had 45 views in 2 weeks. That's €1 per view and no calls. I had put up a good ad with 10 good photos, car cleaned and polished, and a good description. It was a waste of €45.
    On the other hand, Donedeal was where I got all the calls from. Far better value at €5 for the ad and I paid to bump it after a week.
    Just my tuppence....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I think 99% of private sellers that actually know about donedeal will use donedeal, but carzone is the place to be for the "who's who" of Car Dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mic. V

Hi all,

I currently have a UK registered 2005 Peugeot 407 HDI SE. The car is used daily in Ireland. I am planning on getting rid of it soon, but either by trade-in or getting a car trader to buy it. I'm just wondering, which way would I get more for it? I'm not expecting an awful lot for it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

Hey, if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.. I don't have a clue about cars but I'm gonna be trying to sell my 307 van in the next week and don't know what to put it up for.. silver 03' 2L HDI .. 140k miles.. couple of minor dents on it.. DOE Nov 2013.. taxed till end of may.. what would be a price that would actually make this sell.. I'm emigrating and don't have the time to leave it on donedeal for 3 months until someone pays what I want.

Any help would be much appreciated

Look at similar cars on adverts, donedeal and carzone. If you price it right it should hopefully shift quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

Look at similar cars on adverts, donedeal and carzone. If you price it right it should hopefully shift quickly.

I was looking and tbh a lot of people have had the same ads up for a long time cause I really think they're overpricing the car.. I paid 3 years ago what a lot of people are trying to get for it now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Hi Folks,
    Im going to buy a new car soon (Astra OPC) but as they aren't exactly popular here I will wind up buying privately and therefore selling my own car (an 03 Astra) privately as well. My question is that if I buy the OPC and then transfer my insurance to it my old astra will be un-insured, meaning neither I or a potential buyer will be insured on the car in order to test drive it. What is the best way to go about this?
    Thanks

Transfer your insurance to new car and start driving it.
    The buyer should transfer their insurance over to old for test drive or purchase, not you.

Transfer your insurance to new car and start driving it.
    The buyer should transfer their insurance over to old for test drive or purchase, not you.

Interesting...I wouldn't have thought many people would have gone to that much effort just to test drive a car that they may or may not buy. But I guess that it shows geniune intrest if they do. Thanks mate! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I think a lot of buyers would assume the seller is still insured on the old car, and would expect to be passenger on a test drive. If they haven't transferred their insurance in order to test-drive themselves, it means nobody can drive the car, right? What would you do in this case?

I'm hoping to sell mine soon but won't have insurance on it by then, so if a prospective buyer wants a test drive I'm thinking of just driving it around the estate I live in with the buyer as passenger.
    I'm guessing this is how most test drives are conducted in this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Some insurance policies have driving other cars extension, and the car does not need to be insured for this to be valid

rocky wrote: »
    Some insurance policies have driving other cars extension, and the car does not need to be insured for this to be valid

Really? My insurance allows me to drive other peoples cars but they defiantly have to be insured by the owner. Id be surprised if any insurer would cover a car which uninsured by anyone...

I'd say most driving other cars extension do not require the car to be insured by the owner. Maybe you read your policy wrong, who are you insured with?

• Advertisement

rocky wrote: »
    I'd say most driving other cars extension do not require the car to be insured by the owner. Maybe you read your policy wrong, who are you insured with?

Liberty. Maybe not the owner but I assume someone has to insure it... Otherwise whats stoping me from buying a small car, paying the insurance and then driving a big powerful car everyday that no one insures???

DoC extension normally excludes cars in your or your spouses name :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Can anyone tell me how to figure out how what amount you should sell your used car for?

Can anyone tell me how to figure out how what amount you should sell your used car for?

What is it? I would have a look around on DoneDeal/Carzone and see what similar cars are being sold for. This will at least give you a base price...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 milimetr192

What is it? I would have a look around on DoneDeal/Carzone and see what similar cars are being sold for. This will at least give you a base price...

Like he couldn't do it on his own...
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Try this:

http://www.beepbeep.ie/valuation.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Just tried that for mine, way off the mark (value far too high).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

PauloMN wrote: »

Yeah, it's more so an average guide price for dealers, but just knock a few grand off for a private sale and you're probably in the right ball park.

Mileage, general condition and NCT status all factor into the price too, of course.

Like he couldn't do it on his own...
    :confused:

What?

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote: »

Nice one: My 2000 1.4 Focus is now worth 5 times what I paid! :eek: Seller said it was only gonna go up in value, but I didn't realise by how much.

Only question is do I sell now or hold out longer hoping for an even higher amount :p

(I realise the site could well be useful, but I do find it a little funny how far off it was).

On a more serious note, I think you do have to have a car insured by somebody before you bring it out on the road for any kind of drive, but in reality, I doubt this is ever really the case. I'd imagine most test drivers are uninsured and I doubt m/any would bother transferring their insurance for a 10 minute spin about.

That said, that whole 'driver other people's cars' thing you can get on your policy; even if you didn't have it, surely an insurance company would cover you for 2-3 days like that if you told them you were replacing your car, at little or no extra cost to you? (obviously the 'open drive' policy would have to expire a day or two after it starts or you could just be taking the p*ss, but surely most insurance companies wouldn't be too bothered by a few days for you to get around to buying something different?).

Or am I being naive?

Advertisement