Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Third-level fees have to come back

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

PeakOutput wrote: »
    fees(and very high ones) also allow you to have some of the best universities in the world. ireland dosnt have one in the top 100 and there is no reason it cant have one in the top 50 that is pumping out some seriously talented graduates

wrong. trinity is in the top 50 in the world.

I believe the goverment has upped to reg fee anyways which should be enough. I think free college education has been a basis of bring companies into ireland as we have a very educated workforce.

The US is so bad for their third level system so lets just rule their system out. Austalia's system is decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

chris85 wrote: »
    trinity is in the top 50 in the world

It depends on what ranking you use. In one prominent ranking system (above), it doesn't make it into the top 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,477 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

also students loans are easy to get

students use loans all over the world to fund their studies
    And we also have some of the greatest athletes on the planet and are one of the world leaders in the olympic medals; that doesnt mean we aren't ridiculously obese as a nation.

Elitism is important to some successes but success on a national scale requires a different approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

chris85 wrote: »
    wrong. trinity is in the top 50 in the world.

I believe the goverment has upped to reg fee anyways which should be enough. I think free college education has been a basis of bring companies into ireland as we have a very educated workforce.

The US is so bad for their third level system so lets just rule their system out. Austalia's system is decent.

both trinity and ucd droped out of the top 100 in the last few years

maybe there are other rankings out there but i havnt seen them

Overheal wrote: »
    And we also have some of the greatest athletes on the planet and are one of the world leaders in the olympic medals; that doesnt mean we aren't ridiculously obese as a nation.

Elitism is important to some successes but success on a national scale requires a different approach.

but you know what it takes to create the best colleges in the world

money

im not saying copy you guys exactly but there should be at least one university in ireland that can compete with top 50 schools and that is going to require money and certain people paying full fees in every college

• Advertisement

It depends on what ranking you use. In one prominent ranking system (above), it doesn't make it into the top 200.

Not in top 200:

http://www.4icu.org/top200/

Not in top 200:

http://www.arwu.org/ARWU2009.jsp

In at 43:

http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/worlds-best-universities/2010/02/25/worlds-best-universities-top-400

Not in top 200:

http://www.webometrics.info/top8000.asp

In at 43:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/datablog/2009/oct/08/top-100-universities-world

Hmm, is that the same as above?

Thats just from the first page of a Google search.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

there is an interesting report here on some of the problems in the US system. The important qualities of any university system should be affordability and quality. A common complaint in the US system is that there has been an "arms race" approach which has led to a lot of waste

http://www.centerforcollegeaffordability.org/uploads/Financial_Aid_in_Theory_and_Practice.pdf

examples of waste

The University of Illinois spent $6 million on the Irwin Academic Services Center which “helps

only about 550 of the school's 37,000 students” because it is restricted to athletes. But, “at
    least four other schools have multimillion-dollar tutoring centers just for their athletes” in-

cluding the $12 million facility at the University of Michigan.

Princeton built a $136 million, 500-bed dorm ($272,000 per bed, much more than the median

home costs).
    55 MIT’s Simmons Hall cost $194,000 per bed.56

“Framingham State College will spend more than $191,000 building a two-car garage and

stone patio for its state-owned president's house …even as the college's budget faces a poten-
    tial $2 million cut”

The University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey “spent more than $80,000 in 2005

to shuttle the head of a volunteer advisory board from her home in Pennsylvania’s Po-
    conos to the school’s Newark campus.”

“Students now get massages, pedicures and manicures at the University of Wisconsin in Osh-

kosh” and students at Indiana University of Pennsylvania can play “one of 52 golf courses
    from around the world on the room-sized golf simulators”

Ohio State University spent $140 million60 “to build what its peers enviously refer to as the

Taj Mahal, a 657,000-square-foot complex featuring kayaks and canoes, indoor batting cages
    and ropes courses, massages and a climbing wall big enough for 50 students to scale simulta-
    neously”

The University of California gave 16 employees severance checks, and then rehired them. In

the most egregious example, one person “left her old job on April 30 and began her new one
    on May 1.” She was given the same salary, but managed to collect a $100,202 severance pay-
    ment anyway. And prior to this she was given “a $44,000 relocation allowance and a low-
    interest $832,500 home loan, for which she was not otherwise entitled.”

In 2006-2007, 293 employees at private schools made more than $500,000. “[T]he highest-

paid college employee in the country was Pete Carroll, head football coach at the University of
    Southern California, with $4.4-million in total compensation (pay plus benefits).”63

Conclusion

Several key parts of current financial aid practice are ineffective in achieving their primary goals
    (promoting college affordability, access, and equality of opportunity) because aid is often structured
    in such a way that it reinforces undesirable traits within the higher education sector. Specifically,
    financial aid programs fuel an arms race in spending among schools. Programs are structured in
    such a way that governments are essentially subsidizing the inflation of college costs.
    Schools generally cannot compete with each other by demonstrating that they provide a better educa-
    tion than others, because the outputs of school (learning and its consequences in a value added
    sense) are not measured. Since there are not generally accepted measures of outputs, and it is rea-
    sonable to think that high quality inputs will lead to high quality outputs, schools compete on inputs
    instead. Any input that is plausibly thought to affect learning (superstar faculty, world class labora-
    tories, fancy dorms, etc.) becomes the focus of competition, and each school tries to have the best
    inputs. The result has variously been described as the Bowen Rule, the Ehrenberg Cookie Monster,
    or more generally the academic arms race, and it inevitably leads to an explosion in costs. Is it any
    wonder that when we measure schools based on inputs, which are costly, that costs continually rise?
    Perhaps the most important consequence of the resulting explosion in costs has been a reduction in
    college affordability and access. As costs have been ratcheted up, governments have been forced to
    cut back on funding (as a percent of total costs), which is increasingly leaving the financial burden on
    students and their families. In other words, policy makers have designed a convoluted financial aid
    system that inadvertently leads to higher tuition. However, if ineffective practices are terminated or
    altered, and effective practices are expanded, then the system will be able to achieve its goal of mak-
    ing college less of a financial burden.
    Ultimately, the dilemma is how to ensure equality of opportunity (that qualified low-income students
    have the financial aid they need to allow them to attend college), without contributing to the aca-
    demic arms race. The recommendations above are a step in that direction.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,396 ✭✭✭✭cson

I think we can all agree that the current system is unsustainable. Thus it becomes a balancing act of how to correct this using measures that will have necessary impact at a minimum of cost. Perhaps a system whereby a sum is payable on acceptance of your CAO and then when you graduate or drop out.

Personally in me experience a huge problem with the Irish system is not at University level but at Secondary level where the standard of career guidance is absolutely abject.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

With respect Overheal, those kind of throwaway remarks don't help in finding the best solution. It's not about elitism, it's about creating the best universities we possibly can. The Irish system has proven to be unsuccessful in this regard, as illustrated by the various sources Flamed Diving linked to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Simply taxing the population more, as Pride Fighter has suggested, is only shooting one's self in the foot as investment in the economy will probably go down and there will be less jobs for graduates.

I suggested nothing of the sort. I think the private sector can play a role in funding universities and in return the universities can alter their curriculum's to train up skilled employees for said private businesses.
    There are pictures, for example, of the current SU President, Keith O'Brien, protesting outside UCC at the lack of jobs available to graduates. As well as being a prime example of unhealthy government dependency, it was also highly ironic: Mr O'Brien has been instrumental in campaigning for the continuation of the free-fees system, which has resulted in higher taxes for everyone, thus impeding job creation, as I said. You can't have your cake and eat it to, eh?
    As a percentage most of the education budget goes to primary and secondary level sectors. Free fees results in very little in terms of a percentage of income tax citizens pay.

Sulmac: there are some problems with loans' systems. Firstly, they will deliver little in the way of investment to universities now, although universities can borrow if they are guaranteed future income. Secondly, I have yet to think of a good way to police the system. What happens to those graduates who leave Ireland, for example?

I agree. That is a huge problem for a loans system and could lead to a brain drain if introduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

I'm with Pride Fight and John Lynch Ph. D on this one. There's no reason why universities can't or shouldn't go to private companies and say 'if you give us funding, we will tailor our courses to suit your industries'. This is why American universities have such huge research departments.

I am also against students having to work during college in order to have enough money to live. I am now in college for the third time and the primary cause of dropping out that I have seen is having a job along side studying. A lot of employers, certainly in the types of jobs students tend to have; shops, bars etc, couldn't care less about college and will try to increase the number of hours worked by the student. The student will usually have to make a choice eventually and many go with the job.

Also, another thing I noticed during my time in colleges is some of the people getting grants are the ones with the rich parents. This is a typical 'Fianna Failian' culture, where the ones who give financial support are also the ones who get the benefits, whether they need them or not.

Finally, if I had not been getting the 'back to education allowance' I simply would not have been able to go back to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

The Green Party have a lot to answer for on this one.

They tout "No 3rd level fees" as a great achievement of theirs in the latest Programme for Government.

At best they were naive (as usual) and supremely arrogant (again as usual) in ignoring the advice of the University Presidents and the Irish University Association. More likely, I fear they were just pandering to their middle-class constituency in another attempt at grabbing some votes.

I can actually forgive them supporting NAMA, but bankrupting Irish Universities will damage Ireland's future for generations...but hey, what do they care; they've appealed to their clique with their usual agenda driven drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

I would assume that any fees taken from the college would go straight to exchequer and show up as revenue in the books etc. So from this you could argue that any fees gathered are just as likely to go towards funding the budget deficit rather than improving facilities.

I haven’t seen much effort on part of the colleges to curb their spending either, many of the top people in third level institutions are grossly overpaid IMO.

I am also against students having to work during college in order to have enough money to live.

I strongly disagree. This is such a lazy attitude. I worked 27 hours a week, part-time at one stage during college. I felt proud of this because I clearly had a hunger that others didn't. It seems like some people just want their whole lives subsidised. I will only take money when I really need it. But I will always choose to pay my own way, whenever I can.

I just don't get this kind of "I'm entitled" attitude.

Sorry if I seem harsh, but it's my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

jayboi wrote: »
    I would assume that any fees taken from the college would go straight to exchequer and show up as revenue in the books etc. So from this you could argue that any fees gathered are just as likely to go towards funding the budget deficit rather than improving facilities.

What are you getting at here? Fees collected by each College belong to that College. They don't go to the exchequer.

I haven’t seen much effort on part of the colleges to curb their spending either, many of the top people in third level institutions are grossly overpaid IMO.

Other than UCD, where some extremely high levels of pay have been well publicised, where are other "top people" in Irish Universities grossly overpaid?

i think quite the opposite

we should be able to offer top salaries to top people in their respective fields

again i have little time for administrators but researchers and professors dont come cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 81,477 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

With respect Overheal, those kind of throwaway remarks don't help in finding the best solution. It's not about elitism, it's about creating the best universities we possibly can. The Irish system has proven to be unsuccessful in this regard, as illustrated by the various sources Flamed Diving linked to.
    Elitism is not a slur. Its just used as a slur quite often. Nor is it a throwaway remark :confused: how else do you intend to describe it. Academic Excellence afforded to maybe the top 99.99th percentile through scholarships? And those with the deepest pockets. Thats the American system and with respect, you can't say it isn't Elitist.

The Irish system fails at the point of cost but in making Third Level Degrees available to the widest platform of students possible while still ensuring nobody gets a free ride (the best courses demand the best grades) it certainly excels.

All I'm saying is when Fees are re-introduced they should be a reflection of Costs not potential Profits. Frankly, I don't think education works particularly well in the Capitalist mindset.

nobody gets a free ride (the best courses demand the best grades) it certainly excels.

you will find that this isnt the case though we dont have any of the best courses and very few people fail any courses

indeed i can get a degree failing 4 modules a year for 4 years as long as my average is still a c

the idea that you can send someone out in the world with a qualification saying they have 4 years education in a subject but they actually only know40% of it is an absolute joke

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I would just make the point that undergraduates most definitely pay their way.

Current annual registration fees stand at €1,500 and it does not cost a university that much to put each undergraduate student through his/her course annually. So some of this registration fee effectively supplements post-graduate education.

taconnol wrote: »
    I would just make the point that undergraduates most definitely pay their way.

Current annual registration fees stand at €1,500 and it does not cost a university that much to put each undergraduate student through his/her course annually. So some of this registration fee effectively supplements post-graduate education.

wrong

the goverment subsidises each and every irish undergrad student

im not as sure about postgrads but i wouldnt be suprised if the goverment was making a substantial contribution to keep those courses cheap as well

• Advertisement

I strongly disagree. This is such a lazy attitude. I worked 27 hours a week, part-time at one stage during college. I felt proud of this because I clearly had a hunger that others didn't. It seems like some people just want their whole lives subsidised. I will only take money when I really need it. But I will always choose to pay my own way, whenever I can.

I just don't get this kind of "I'm entitled" attitude.

Sorry if I seem harsh, but it's my opinion.

It's not harsh at all. And fair play to you if you had the time to both work and study efficiently. I am also not in favour of people having everything subsidised for them. But I have seen good students give in to the temptation of the weekly/monthly pay cheque and drop out of college. I've also seen students becoming extremely stressed because they couldn't handle the hours of work and while still having time to study.

But as I said, if you can manage it, fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ndubz

First of all, one of you guys said 10k a year for a degree is viable - for a start, that is a pure rip-off and a ba(hons) degree isn't worth that (in ireland) no way.

Then some of you are saying it would improve the universities, is that why Ireland has an apparently better education system than in the UK, where fees are the norm?

4 Billion, thats alot of money I know, and the taxpayer deserves a break, however is 8 billion (or much more) to anglo money well spent, and do the 18-19 year olds of this country deserve a break who are the ones who are going to be paying for the past generations massive debts and literally over-spending with the countless houses in france, spain and bulgaria.

No, this shouldn't be the case,and if it is, people will just go more to the UK where it is 3.5k and where they ''MIGHT'' even get a job. 10k is not worth it.

And where do all of you people think we are going to get the money to pay for our '' fees '', there is no part time jobs anymore ? remember the recession?

And just one more thing, I know its not called as such, but the 1500 euro isn't no walk in the park either, obviously better than 10k, but with govt support and the registration fee. is that not enough?

Tax payers in this country are cryers and moaners if you ask me. Go to sweden and feel the pain. At least you guys got your '' FREE '' education and now want everyone else to pay, why should we. we are the recession generation, and I hope when we all graduate, we leg it and pay your own pensions.

Bit of a rant I know, but I did make some good points.

taconnol wrote: »
    it does not cost a university that much to put each undergraduate student through his/her course annually.

:confused:

It's not harsh at all. And fair play to you if you had the time to both work and study efficiently. I am also not in favour of people having everything subsidised for them. But I have seen good students give in to the temptation of the weekly/monthly pay cheque and drop out of college. I've also seen students becoming extremely stressed because they couldn't handle the hours of work and while still having time to study.

But as I said, if you can manage it, fair enough.

I recommend night security. You get paid to study. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I suppose I am being a little harsh, but I am speaking the truth. I am just completing a masters degree after fives years of university. (I come from a lower-income family, get the grant, fees paid and I worked every year through college, including summers, before you ask.) The majority of my classmates throughout were middle-income and above, drove a car and headed off to the US every summer, and sometimes Europe during mid-term, etc. I teach micro-classes now and the students complain of having trouble getting parking. Further to this, they seem to be disinterested in the subject they are studying, but are just hanging around for the college experience.

This is the majority that I have experienced over the past five years. If their parents can afford to pay for these luxuries, they can afford to pay fees. If they are not interested in their degree, then I am sure they will think twice about progressing further instead of wasting several thousands on fees, per year. It is to the benefit of our educational system and the standard of graduate we put out there.

that's a nice little fairy tale. it's true that many people go to college looking for a piss up, but these wasters are all weeded out by the end of first year. the majority of my classmates were middle-class too. why bring up cars? maybe they spent years saving up for one? please don't assume that your college experience was the norm. Having people slave away for years then graduate into a decade or so of debt isn't the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Elitism is not a slur. Its just used as a slur quite often. Nor is it a throwaway remark :confused: how else do you intend to describe it. Academic Excellence afforded to maybe the top 99.99th percentile through scholarships? And those with the deepest pockets. Thats the American system and with respect, you can't say it isn't Elitist.

The Irish system fails at the point of cost but in making Third Level Degrees available to the widest platform of students possible while still ensuring nobody gets a free ride (the best courses demand the best grades) it certainly excels.

All I'm saying is when Fees are re-introduced they should be a reflection of Costs not potential Profits. Frankly, I don't think education works particularly well in the Capitalist mindset.

at the same time, which degrees? which students? one of the reasons that our greater health system is a mess is that there are artificial shortages of places in medicine, dentistry , Pharmacy. Who speaks up for the irish students that have to go to university in the UK because they cant get a place here even they wanted to pay for it. Yet on the other hand you have second rate students filling up computer science places in the likes of DCU. You need a market to make any service efficient, education is no different.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

wrong

the goverment subsidises each and every irish undergrad student
    Do you know where the figures are?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

in the entire post about college fees no one has done any sums.

A possible building deficit of 4 billion in universities.

Take UCD largest in the country (approx 20,000 students).

Say these were all charged 3,000 a year that is only 60million a year which is not a lot

As a society we need to determine the future direction for ireland? We are going to become a knowledge based economy or a back water country that exports graduates?

I recommend night security. You get paid to study. ;)

I'm on back to education allowance, I am getting paid ;) Albeit not that much. Besides, I worked in night security a few years ago, ain't doing that again.
    The course I'm doing, which is actually a security course, is heavily based on assignments, so any time not in college is spent working on them :(

• Advertisement

that's a nice little fairy tale. it's true that many people go to college looking for a piss up, but these wasters are all weeded out by the end of first year. the majority of my classmates were middle-class too. why bring up cars? maybe they spent years saving up for one? please don't assume that your college experience was the norm. Having people slave away for years then graduate into a decade or so of debt isn't the answer.

1) Are you suggesting I'm making it up?

2) Do note that I was quick to point out the experiential nature of my post

3) Do note that I encountered these people right until the end, and continue to now in the classes of 2nd year+ students I teach, where they seem to have missed this "weeding out" system you speak of. If anything, they are the majority.

Thanks.

Advertisement