Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Western Union will probably be easiest...

but only when it's in orbit to the west :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

The Science of Decay.

There was a time around 300 million years ago when trees did not decay once they died and toppled over. The Earth was littered with dead trees. That was until fungi developed a way to break down the wood and release the carbon. All the carbon locked up in the trees meant that oxygen levels rose, resulting in insects growing to massive proportions.

WARNING: Video contains maggots and rotting flesh and food. Do NOT watch while eating food.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The real question is what would you rather?

a) A slice of that two week old pig carcass
    or
    b) Attending a lecture on why Religion is so great delivered by John Waters.

I can't decide which option would leave you with the more lasting effect of revulsion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

All the carbon locked up in the trees meant that oxygen levels rose, resulting in insects growing to massive proportions.
    Awesome.

starshiptroopers_l.jpg

Or more realistic and no less terrifying (well, it can't melt people with it's head laser so a little less terrifying)

arthropleura.JPG
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthropleura
    Apparently they could grow to 8.5ft! :eek:

• Advertisement

Superfast evolution revealed.
    He [Rick Grosberg] and his colleagues studied two closely related 'cushion stars', Cryptasperina pentagona and C. hystera, living on the Australian coast. They're identical in appearance but live in different regions, with Hystera occuring on a few beaches and islands at the far southern end of the range of pentagona.

And their sex lives are very, very different. Pentagona has male and female individuals that release sperm and eggs into the water where they fertilize, grow into larvae and float around for a few months before settling down and developing into adult sea stars.

Hystera, by contrast, are hermaphrodites that brood their young internally and give birth to miniature sea stars ready to grow to adulthood.

"It's as dramatic a difference in life history as in any group of organisms," says Grosberg.

These guys are the stars of evolution. :pac:

Gbear wrote: »
    Or more realistic and no less terrifying (well, it can't melt people with it's head laser so a little less terrifying)

arthropleura.JPG

Loved to have it's neck scratched. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

arthropleura.JPG

Kill it! Kill it with fire and napalm!

I really wish people would stop quoting that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭looksee

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Ha and people called me stupid for buying land on Mars. Well who's stupid now? Huh?

I was in a b&b recently and the owner had a framed picture/certificate on the wall. It purported to show a section of sky (a black image with lots of white dots on it) and one dot was circled. She told me proudly - and quite sincerely - that she had bought that star and it had been named after her (deceased) husband. There was a certificate on the bottom of the image confirming this fact. She had another one at the other end of the hall in memory of her partner (different person). I intended to see was it a pic of the same bit of sky but didn't get round to it.

It was obviously a comfort to her, and I charitably forbore to point out all the obvious flaws in this arrangement and nodded agreement with a straight face.

Fair play to the person who had the brilliant idea of selling stars though!

Edit: http://www.starregistry.co.uk/ see the FAQs! -
    The stars we currently have available in the Northern Hemisphere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

looksee wrote: »
    I was in a b&b recently and the owner had a framed picture/certificate on the wall. It purported to show a section of sky (a black image with lots of white dots on it) and one dot was circled. She told me proudly - and quite sincerely - that she had bought that star and it had been named after her (deceased) husband. There was a certificate on the bottom of the image confirming this fact. She had another one at the other end of the hall in memory of her partner (different person). I intended to see was it a pic of the same bit of sky but didn't get round to it.

It was obviously a comfort to her, and I charitably forbore to point out all the obvious flaws in this arrangement and nodded agreement with a straight face.

I think it's pretty marvelous. My sister bought one as a birthday present for her (now ex-)boyfriend a few years ago. So what if it has no relevance to anyone other than the gift-giver and receiver? As thoughts go, it's one of the nicest ones out there.

I also believe it's possible to buy lakes in Canada or something like that in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dmw07

I think it's pretty marvelous. My sister bought one as a birthday present for her (now ex-)boyfriend a few years ago. So what if it has no relevance to anyone other than the gift-giver and receiver? As thoughts go, it's one of the nicest ones out there.

I also believe it's possible to buy lakes in Canada or something like that in the same way.

If you want I'll give you a certificate saying you own the galaxy, once you pay me €1500.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I got my OH one of those 'name a star' doobries - she enjoyed months of dithering trying to decide what to call 'her' star. Also, for her 40th, I got a close friend one square metre of a Scottish estate which apparently allows her to legally use the title 'laird' (or 'lady' but as she is a bit of a butch that was never going to happen). She grew up in the Highlands and it meant a huge amount to her. It was worth it to hear her scream 'You made made a Laird!!!!' across a crowded room. :D I also 'bought' my mother Yorkminister for a minute.

Enceladus: home of alien lifeforms?
    "It just about ticks every box you have when it comes to looking for life on another world," says Nasa astrobiologist Chris McKay. "It has got liquid water, organic material and a source of heat. It is hard to think of anything more enticing short of receiving a radio signal from aliens on Enceladus telling us to come and get them."

Cassini's observations suggest Enceladus possesses a subterranean ocean that is kept liquid by the moon's internal heat. "We are not sure where that energy is coming from," McKay admits. "The source is producing around 16 gigawatts of power and looks very like the geothermal energy sources we have on Earth – like the deep vents we see in our ocean beds and which bubble up hot gases."

Cassini swept over Enceladus at a height of 173km and showed that it did indeed possess an atmosphere, albeit a thin one consisting of water vapour, carbon dioxide, methane and nitrogen. "It was wonderful," says Dougherty. "I just thought: wow!"

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Enceladus: home of alien lifeforms?

:eek:

Don't forget that it was all part of god's plan.
    Even though alien lifeforms were not mentioned in the bible, they were implied.

Alien lifeforms are also god's creatures ............................. I think.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Fifty academics talk about god/atheism to the backing of some desperately irritating elevator music:

and another fifty:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

looksee wrote: »

I own an acre of land on the moon.

That is all.

Dades wrote: »
    I own an acre of land on the moon.

That is all.

Moon Laird - now that is cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Moon Laird - now that is cool.

Lunar Laird

Lunar Laird

I for one welcome our new Lunar Laird Overlord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

215260.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Still think Robin is the cooler and more hip mod. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Jernal wrote: »

Sorry but The Dude > Yogi Bear

(sorry Robin)

Jernal wrote: »
    First John Waters tells me I'm a "trendy parent" and now, I'm "hip" as well. I'm impressed as hell, but my friends would never recognize me :)

Meanwhile, back on boards, here's an interesting idea...:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/30/3204734/actors-read-yelp-reviews

...would be nice to see it done to a few good posts:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79991000&postcount=1

any more?

robindch wrote: »

any more?

Hee hee - he really got up my nose. That post was mild in comparison to the rant I was loudly verbalising.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Hee hee - he really got up my nose.

I've heard your sort are into that kind of thing.:rolleyes:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

robindch wrote: »

any more?

Pretty much most of Zillah's.

I've heard your sort are into that kind of thing.:rolleyes:

:pac:

Nose. Bum. Any ol' orifice at all long as we can stick a micky in it. It's all the same to us homosexualists. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Wouldn't a nostril be a bit, um, tight?

Advertisement