Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Porsche Boxster v Z4

• 04-07-2015 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

I am looking at a 1998/2001 Boxster 2.5 and a 2003 Z4 2.5

I like both and are similar in size and daily running costs.

After that has anyone had both that they can Advise and the pros and cons of both?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

One thing I read in a German car magazine is that the Z4 inexplicably is one of the leaders in terms of long term reliability and ageing really well. They used TUEV and ADAC statistics to back up their claim. They came to the conclusion that the Z4 is one of those where for some reason the manufacturer got almost everything right. They thought is was a strange car for that to happen, being a small 2 seater sports convertible, but apparently it happened and they were praising it quite a bit. Only thing they said go for the 2.2l or upwards but more in terms of fun and adequacy. So your 2.5 is in the clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

The Porsche could bite you in the arsè maintenance wise , and if it's not an S they're quiet slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

On a personal note, I like the Boxster from the outside, but thought the interior in general and especially the dash look horrendously camp and cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

I have heard maintenance wise the Boxster are a bit of a nightmare! Porsche is my dream car but its the 911 or Cayman that I really want.

At present i have a IS250 and need it for the young lad so the 2.5 Boxster or Z4 is the only option for now!

Any major issue or recalls on the Z4?

Can any recommend another 2 seat roadster/cabriolet around the 5k mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Only two I can think of would be the TT Quattro (not the FWD 180) and MX5. A turbo/supercharged conversion in the latter is arguably the most fun of the lot and most reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Edser

Both nice cars, although the interior of that year Boxster can look a bit dated as Boskowski mentions above, whereas the Z4 would be the first of it kind (updated from the Z3) and looks more modern. 2.5 is a very nice engine.
    EazyD wrote: »
    Only two I can think of would be the TT Quattro (not the FWD 180) and MX5. A turbo/supercharged conversion in the latter is arguably the most fun of the lot and most reliable.

AFAIK, the 180 is Quattro, and it's the 150 which is FWD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

pippip wrote: »

Taxing her would get old very quick, I'd have one in a heartbeat if it wasn't as ridiculous as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

EazyD wrote: »
    Taxing her would get old very quick, I'd have one in a heartbeat if it wasn't as ridiculous as it is.

There was a few registered commercial a few years back because of the lack of rear seats. Dunno if they're still around but sub 300 euro tax for a 3.5 litre sounds good in my books :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Honda S2000, be pushing the budget slightly but worth it I reckon!

Will look at the TT quattro!

Not gone on the SL but will consider. Really like the 350z but with a saloon and bike I can't justify the ridiculous tax!

Must check out the S2000 and MX5 Turbo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

no-photo.gif
    no-photo.gif

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/alfa-romeo/spider/used-1999-alfa-romeo-spider-2-0-t-galway-fpa-37213871259232660

I'd normally be dubious about such low mileage but the car is immaculate so could be true. Looks well cared for.
    €3750 only 62k miles

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Skuxx wrote: »
    Honda S2000, be pushing the budget slightly but worth it I reckon!

yea another vote for the s2000- only 2liter tax with screaming na 240bhp:D

i tried to find a video for you staying on topic as about 10years ago top gear did a vid comparing s2000, boxster and a z4 and jeremy, jame and richard swapped cars i think the s2k was voted the best of the group;):confused:

davycc wrote: »
    yea another vote for the s2000- only 2liter tax with screaming na 240bhp:D

i tried to find a video for you staying on topic as about 10years ago top gear did a vid comparing s2000, boxster and a z4 and jeremy, jame and richard swapped cars i think the s2k was voted the best of the group;):confused:

2002 S2000 average at 8k!! Nice car but at that year and price I'd buy a nice XKR/8 and suffer the tax!

Most MX5's are 1.6 which are to small engine wise

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

no-photo.gif

seed-pli-mg-kombikinderwagen-alu-schwenkraeder-schwarz.jpg

colm_mcm wrote: »
    seed-pli-mg-kombikinderwagen-alu-schwenkraeder-schwarz.jpg

Yea kinda got that comparison myself haha

Even the wheels!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

davycc wrote: »

Nice car but to old! If the engine has not been properly looked after it can cost a small fortune to get right

• Advertisement

Spotted a nice 06 A4 1.8T......not a Roadster but still pretty nice! Do they suffer the dreaded creeping??

Spotted a beautifully 04 MX5 but it's only 1.6! I presume they are pretty slow at only 100+ hp

Creeping?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Creeping?

Mobile spell check!!!

I meant creaking!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Spotted a nice 06 A4 1.8T......not a Roadster but still pretty nice! Do they suffer the dreaded creeping??

Spotted a beautifully 04 MX5 but it's only 1.6! I presume they are pretty slow at only 100+ hp

The mx5 even in 1.6 is actually a really fun little car with decent enough power for the engine size. Very manageable rwd with great handling and reliable to top it off. Your looking roughly half the bhp of an s2000 though which would be my first choice if looking at a 2 seater convertible

aaakev wrote: »
    The mx5 even in 1.6 is actually a really fun little car with decent enough power for the engine size. Very manageable rwd with great handling and reliable to top it off. Your looking roughly half the bhp of an s2000 though which would be my first choice if looking at a 2 seater convertible

The S2000 is nice but I honestly don't think that their worth what's been asked of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

The S2000 is nice but I honestly don't think that their worth what's been asked of them!

I dont think the price is too bad tbh. They are a serious car and pretty rare in this country and will likely rise in price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭tw0nk

I bought a z4 2 years ago, mainly to use over the summer and have a bit of fun in. I went for the 2.2 which is the lowest engine offering straight 6.

Good:
    - Amazingly fun to drive
    - Distinctive look, same hate, some love, I love the look of them
    - Comfortable (when compared to other similar cars)
    - More spacious than boxter
    - Lighter steering than boxter
    - Decent spec level
    - Fits golf clubs in boot (barely)

Bad:
    - The motor for the convertible roof is down inside door pillar, tiny drainage hole and ridiculously common that the motor fails (mine did)
    - Alternator went on mine
    - Steering can feel a little fake sometimes due to the poor electronic assistance

If you are buying this for a year or so, for a bit of fun, I would say go for it! I really enjoyed mine and got a good summer when I had it which made it all the better. It can be a little thirsty on oil depending on how you drive it, so keep an eye on that too.

So I went for a 2.7 Boxster :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Very nice, well wear :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement