Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Development Workshop [091 Labs, Galway]

• 14-09-2011 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Starting Wednesday 21st and taking place over four weeks, the Game Development Workshop will guide participants through the development of a game.

Rather than concentrating on the basics, like input and movement, we’ll be going over how to put a game together using object orientated programming techniques such as Managers, Game States and Finite State Machines.

We’ll be using Unity with C# to develop, though the methods used can be applied to almost any language or framework (including XNA).

Details
    • Runs on the 21st Sept, 28th Sept, 5th Oct & 12th Oct.
    • From 6pm to 10pm.
    • At 091 Labs, Galway.
    • The workshop costs €20, this covers the four sessions and is payable at the first.
      No need to register.

What You’ll Need
    • A laptop with Unity installed.
    • Experience of a programming language.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

pity there is nothing like this in cork :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

tok9 wrote: »
    pity there is nothing like this in cork :(

+1.

Is there anything like this planned for cork? I think the turnout would be immense!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Faerdan

+1.

Is there anything like this planned for cork? I think the turnout would be immense!

Nexus, the Cork Hackerspace, do have an upcoming event on the 27th called "Games Development: An Introduction to LÖVE, the free 2D gaming platform" (read about it on their front page). Attending that and showing your support and interest could be a good way of getting people to run more advanced courses. [I got the date wrong, this event was for the 27th of August]

If there is sufficient interest I'd love to do a one day workshop in Cork, I'd just have to make sure that my travel costs would be covered.

Faerdan wrote: »
    Nexus, the Cork Hackerspace, do have an upcoming event on the 27th called "Games Development: An Introduction to LÖVE, the free 2D gaming platform" (read about it on their front page). Attending that and showing your support and interest could be a good way of getting people to run more advanced courses.

If there is sufficient interest I'd love to do a one day workshop in Cork, I'd just have to make sure that my travel costs would be covered.

I would definitely be up for it anyways, and I would advertise it in my college as well. I would imagine that it would be very popular.

Also the link above was for the 27th if August if i'm not mistaken.

Ah crap, I just saw "Saturday 27th" and assumed it was this month.

Once this workshop gets going I'll talk to the people at Nexus about running a one day workshop down there.

• Advertisement

Ah crap, I just saw "Saturday 27th" and assumed it was this month.

Once this workshop gets going I'll talk to the people at Nexus about running a one day workshop down there.

Many thanks, much appreciated! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Nexus, the Cork Hackerspace, do have an upcoming event on the 27th called "Games Development: An Introduction to LÖVE, the free 2D gaming platform" (read about it on their front page). Attending that and showing your support and interest could be a good way of getting people to run more advanced courses. [I got the date wrong, this event was for the 27th of August]

I would also be definitely interested!

The first session went very well, ten people attended and they're all in for the full workshop (four weeks).

It's not too late if anyone wants to attend (next Wednesday 28th at 6pm), the first session covered a lot of basics and I can send the project files onto anyone who's interested.

Hi all,

Last Wednesday we did the first of four sessions for the Game Development Workshop at 091 Labs.
    It went very well, covering Unity basics (objects, components, input) and Game State Management.

If you missed the first Session but would still like to take part it’s not too late to do so. All project files will be provided on the night and I’ll answer any questions you may have.

Session two is this Wednesday, at 6pm. We’ll be covering the following topics:
    • Adding (dumb) enemies to the game.
    • Colliders and detecting collisions.
    • Creating a damage system (doing and taking damage).
    • Controlling particles (and explosions).
    • Adding a scoring system.
    • Adding a win/lose condition and associated game states.
    Below is a screenshot from the upcoming session build showing the player ship destroying a frigate.
    The resulting explosion is pushing the other frigates away.

session2_wip.jpg
    Details
    • Runs on the 28th Sept, 5th Oct & 12th Oct.
    • From 6pm to 10pm.
    • At 091 Labs.
    • The workshop costs €20.
    • No need to book or pre-pay.

What You’ll Need
    • A laptop with Unity installed.
    • Experience of a programming language.

Wow faerdan, it sounds like a great workshop! Jealous!!! :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement