Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Sunday Game Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 themink

Very impressed with Ciaran Whelan's punditry lately. Very fair in his analysis and usually right on the money with the points he makes. Even Joe Brolly was good on tonight's show I thought. The night time highlights show seems to suit him more than the live show where he is stuck beside Spillane & O'Rourke and usually ends up getting into his pontificator mode

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Donal Og "they turned wine into water" :pac:

He's not holding back in his criticism of that centre of excellence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Get off your soapbox Donal!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Donal Og "they turned wine into water" :pac:

In fairness he is spot on with the state of the Cork County board and PUC

Did like his line about propaganda being put out in the Echo on a Monday, especially given the link between the Echo and Examiner in Cork with Donal Og writing for d'Examiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

He was bang on the money though. The underage structures and coaching set ups in Cork are an absolute shambles. Yet the powers that be think it is ok to waste spend 70 million smackers on a stadium that will be full maybe 2-3 times a year? It's utter madness. My head think its great, as my own county can't but benefit from it. But my heart really feels for all the hard core GAA fans down there, that are getting shafted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Who got motm lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Ignorant etc.

In fairness Donal Og Cusack is a woeful bollix altogether, he has Brollyitis I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

RTE/Des are after making a big deal about Brian Cody being booed.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

Seen that. Slow news day!

I'd say Cody gives far less of a pooh about it than Des does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

That was ridiculous. It was obviously a bit of craic which is exactly how Cody took it. Cahill trying to make out it was disrespectful, when it was obviously a joke.

Boom__Boom wrote: »

Did like his line about propaganda being put out in the Echo on a Monday, especially given the link between the Echo and Examiner in Cork with Donal Og writing for d'Examiner.

He has a point in some of what he said but he also has an axe to grind which makes it hard to take what he is saying at face value. His analysis of the games themselves is excellent. Seamus Hickey was a good addition tonight too.

dirtyden wrote: »
    That was ridiculous. It was obviously a bit of craic which is exactly how Cody took it. Cahill trying to make out it was disrespectful, when it was obviously a joke.

It was also, in an odd way, an honour and in a way a display of respect. There are very few bad sportsmen that get booed by opposition fans.

He has a point in some of what he said but he also has an axe to grind which makes it hard to take what he is saying at face value. His analysis of the games themselves is excellent. Seamus Hickey was a good addition tonight too.

I am well aware of what sides Chairman Frank and Donal Og were on during the strikes. But I think that he did a good job of deflecting attention away from the personal aspect of it, by bringing up the stats of Corks lack of underage success. You can't really argue with those, no matter what side of StrikeGate you were on.

Re Cody and the booing. I was in Croke Park today. Just before they showed Cody on the big screen, stewards and Guards removed Cork fans from the Hill, as they were setting off flares/smoke bombs. The crowd booed that. Then they showed Cody on the screen, so I don't think that all of the boos were for him. Just as many people laughed when they saw Cody on the screen (especially when they saw the big grin on his face) as they booed. You just couldn't hear/see that on the telly.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I am well aware of what sides Chairman Frank and Donal Og were on during the strikes. But I think that he did a good job of deflecting attention away from the personal aspect of it, by bringing up the stats of Corks lack of underage success. You can't really argue with those, no matter what side of StrikeGate you were on.

Re Cody and the booing. I was in Croke Park today. Just before they showed Cody on the big screen, stewards and Guards removed Cork fans from the Hill, as they were setting off flares/smoke bombs. The crowd booed that. Then they showed Cody on the screen, so I don't think that all of the boos were for him. Just as many people laughed when they saw Cody on the screen (especially when they saw the big grin on his face) as they booed. You just couldn't hear/see that on the telly.

I think the fact that he called it a monument, was not too subtle a dig at someone in particular. A lot of what he said was reasonable and sensible but he is far from impartial. PUC badly needed a revamp, and I don't know what the plans for the centre of excellence are but they are hardly as basic as he is making out.

Nothing wrong with flares in stadia as long as people aren't throwing them. Creates a bit of atmosphere is all.

I think the fact that he called it a monument, was not too subtle a dig at someone in particular. A lot of what he said was reasonable and sensible but he is far from impartial. PUC badly needed a revamp, and I don't know what the plans for the centre of excellence are but they are hardly as basic as he is making out.

Isn't there limited space down the Pairc, because of its proximity to the marina and private houses? Once the new stadium goes up, there will be only a small patch of land to be dedicated to a Centre of Excellence. Two pitches is not a lot, if you want to base the ongoing training of the seniors, the minors & the U21's there, especially when there are two different codes, as well as the ladies to consider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

The hurling analysts are top class.

Cusack was right, his analysis is top notch, but he could also have added in it's costing the taxpayer €30m. What a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Isn't there limited space down the Pairc, because of its proximity to the marina and private houses? Once the new stadium goes up, there will be only a small patch of land to be dedicated to a Centre of Excellence. Two pitches is not a lot, if you want to base the ongoing training of the seniors, the minors & the U21's there, especially when there are two different codes, as well as the ladies to consider.

Out of interest, I thought CIT had excellent facilities out there? Do the Cork teams use those at all?

I don't know much about it all tbh, but I know that Limerick's underage teams all train out in UL most of the time. There's no specific "centre of excellence" as far as I am aware, but there is a lot of money being put into coaching... there are some excellent coaches involved, they have development officers going around to the schools, to the clubs, they invite the best player to big academy training sessions at U-14/U-15 level.

I don't know how much the County Board pay to use UL facilities, but they do some training out in places like Rathkeale too and it seems to be working. But I imagine it's down to personnel rather than the pitches.

In fairness, a centralised centre of excellence does sound great in theory... it would make things a lot handier, I imagine the treatment of players, etc. would raise another notch. But do any county actually have one? Maybe one day it will be the norm, and teams will be falling behind if they don't have one, but I don't know if anyone does have anything along those lines- I imagine they just use whatever they can.

I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Grats

Boom__Boom wrote: »

He's spot on! I'm not from Cork and I knew as far back as 2005 that Cork hurling was in big trouble then. The problem was that they were so busy fighting and striking that they neglected the basic structures. There was too much emphasis on what the players were entitled to and not enough on how the underage was lagging behind other hurling counties. They've been playing catch up since and now Professor Cusack highjacks the Sunday Game to tell the rest of the country what we already knew!

RTE allow this man way too much airtime to air his own grievances and agendas. Just a few weeks ago he used the Dublin collapse against Tipp as an excuse to have a go at the dual player issue, again mainly a Cork problem. Mention of which, Aidan Walsh being a dual player wasn't the reason Cork lost today, yet he had to bring it up again. There are more than a dozen of that Cork team who play hurling only and they played below par today also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

If I were from Cork I'd be asking my TDs why €30 million tax payers money is being put towards PUC?
    When local sports clubs cannot get grants for €30k to build dressing rooms

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

They do use CIT for training of underage squads, but also the Mardyke and the Farm (UCC) - pretty costly though when you add up all the different squads using the pitches.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Out of interest, I thought CIT had excellent facilities out there? Do the Cork teams use those at all?

I don't know much about it all tbh, but I know that Limerick's underage teams all train out in UL most of the time. There's no specific "centre of excellence" as far as I am aware, but there is a lot of money being put into coaching... there are some excellent coaches involved, they have development officers going around to the schools, to the clubs, they invite the best player to big academy training sessions at U-14/U-15 level.

I don't know how much the County Board pay to use UL facilities, but they do some training out in places like Rathkeale too and it seems to be working. But I imagine it's down to personnel rather than the pitches.

In fairness, a centralised centre of excellence does sound great in theory... it would make things a lot handier, I imagine the treatment of players, etc. would raise another notch. But do any county actually have one? Maybe one day it will be the norm, and teams will be falling behind if they don't have one, but I don't know if anyone does have anything along those lines- I imagine they just use whatever they can.

I could be wrong.

Cork need to find the right people to coach before they go and create these centres of excellence! Don't see any proper coach education programme in place in Cork, a handful of CDA's and a lot of mistreatment of other lads paid to coach and go into schools, where they are told off you go with little or no guidance, which is very poor.

Kerry are creating one afaik, and sure neighbours can't fall behind :rolleyes: would be better investing the money into proper coaching structures

Fireball07 wrote: »

I could be wrong.

I think some of the wiser heads in Cork are also wondering why Corks existing third level sporting structures & facilities are not being used more to aid the Cork GAA teams development and training. Call it the $64,000 question if you will. The Dubs and Leinster Rugby currently use DCU & UCD. Limerick and Munster use UL. It's hardly rocket science. :rolleyes:

Tyrone have a bad ass COE in Garvaghy. It cost 7 million smackers. Two thirds of that came from grants from Her Maj & the GAA. The rest was raised within the county. It is supposed to be a mega state of the art facility, with a multitude of pitches and every conceivable bell and whistle. But I heard that players hate training there. Kildare have Hawkfield, which pretty much bankrupted the county. So I guess the moral of the story is - be careful what you wish for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I know this is a Sunday game thread an not a Cork underage crisis thread, but what exactly was the point in Mallow if that is not the center of excellence?

I know this is a Sunday game thread an not a Cork underage crisis thread, but what exactly was the point in Mallow if that is not the center of excellence?

Mallow club had two pitches, one up the north side of town in Carookeel, which was bought by a developer, who then built the complex as part of the deal. Now it was badly needed, as both pitches and facilities needed major updating. Castlelands, the developers company built it on very beneficial terms for the local club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Mallow club had two pitches, one up the north side of town in Carookeel, which was bought by a developer, who then built the complex as part of the deal. Now it was badly needed, as both pitches and facilities needed major updating. Castlelands, the developers company built it on very beneficial terms for the local club

How many pitches have they there? So it was private investment and never considered for Cork development teams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

It's a fantastic centre in Mallow. Would be a disgrace if it's not getting use.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Rightwing wrote: »
    It's a fantastic centre in Mallow. Would be a disgrace if it's not getting use.

Its a great centre but woefully managed and losing alot of money over the last few years since Croke Park banned all "foreign" sports from officially using the club.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/corkman/news/foreign-games-ruled-out-of-mallow-gaa-complex-27087808.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭lukin

Rightwing wrote: »
    The hurling analysts are top class.

Cusack was right, his analysis is top notch, but he could also have added in it's costing the taxpayer €30m. What a waste of money.

I don't actually agree that it is a waste of money. Pairc Ui Chaoimh badly needed a re-vamp, it is an absolute kip. I hate going there.

Advertisement