Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Computer build help

Options
  • 23-04-2015 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

hi, so im looking to build a very powerful computer which will last me quite some time, can someone review the parts i have already selected and guide me on what other parts would be best to get: looking for a powerful 3 monitor display

Graphics Card: Asus GeForce GTX Titan Black 6GB GDDR5 (PCI Express 3.0, HDMI, DVI-I, DVI-D, Display Port, 384-bit, GPU Tweak Utility, NVIDIA GPU Boost 2.0)

processor:Intel i7 5960X Extreme Octa Core CPU Processor (3.0GHz, 20MB Cache, 140W, Socket 2011-V3)

RAM:Corsair CMD32GX4M4A2666C15 Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x 8GB) 2666MHz CL15 XMP 2.0 Memory Module - Black/Silver

monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q 27 inch Widescreen LED Monitor (2560x1440, USB 3.0, NVIDIA 3D, 144Hz, 1ms)

2x HP monitors forget the specs will update when i look them up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

SLI GTX 980s, Crossfire R9 290s, 290X or a R9 295X2 will outperform a single Titan at a fraction of the price (half for most)
    AMD cards should be preferred as you want a 1440p screen.

Absolutely no need in 32gb RAM, 16gb will be way too much for the next several years, and even then you can just stick 2 sticks in.
    Seeing as you're budgetless, and futurproofing, DDR4 might be an option.

You'd probably want at least an 850w PSU for that, not sure though.

1tb SSD is massive overkill as they're not for storage anyways, but your choice. Crucial and Kingston have cheaper SSDs than Samsung. Similar performance I.e. you won't notice the difference.

Get a good case because this is going to heat up, consider water cooling, and if not, get a good CPU fan. You'll want a HDD for storage I imagine?

Edit* This is based on the assumption you're gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 johnd21

has been updated: My job is computer based so want to ensure I be able to work efficiently and for it to last for a while. I will be gaming on this also, i will not be doing photo editing or the likes more so just we development, app development, run stock charting programs smoothly.

Graphics Card: MSI AMD R9 295X2 Graphics Card (8GB, 512 Bit x2, GDDR5, Mini DP x4, DL-DVI-D, FAN, PCI-E)
    x2 required??
    processor: Intel i7 5960X Extreme Octa Core CPU Processor (3.0GHz, 20MB Cache, 140W, Socket 2011-V3)

RAM: Corsair CMD32GX4M4A2666C15 Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x 8GB) 2666MHz CL15 XMP 2.0 Memory Module - Black/Silver

monitor: Samsung LU28D590DS 28 inch Ultra HD LED Monitor (3840 x 2160, 370 cd/m2, 1ms)
    2x HP monitors

storage: 1 x Samsung 840 Series Pro 512GB 2.5-inch SATA Solid State Drive
    HDD - ???

power: Corsair AX1200i Professional Series Digital AX 1200i ATX/EPS Fully Modular 80 PLUS Platinum PSU

operating system: which one is overall best, should i be best going with windows 10? I have heard from man ypeople windows 7 professional is the best one however other opinions appreciated

motherboard: looking for options here for a good one to work synergistically with these parts

cooler: was looking at Corsair 280 mm Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler but not sure

case: also unsure which one would be best for this set up

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

johnd21 wrote: »

Graphics Card: MSI AMD R9 295X2 Graphics Card (8GB, 512 Bit x2, GDDR5, Mini DP x4, DL-DVI-D, FAN, PCI-E)
    x2 required??

Not sure I follow this, if you get the 295X2, it's a double GPU in one card essentially. So one of them is enough.

Seagate Barracuda or WD Blue are good priced HDDs, 75 roughly for a 2tb drive.

Windows 8 gave better gaming performance, but I was too stubborn to switch so I stuck with 7. Whatever you're used to is the best one, W8.1 certainly isn't a bad OS. this is a link to get whichever you choose for 20 euro or so, with a free Windows 10 upgrade.

Not sure about a cooler or a motherboard for you, that cooler seems fine to me but I'm certainly not versed in them. You'll be wanting an X99 motherboard, ASRock X99 Extreme 4 perhaps?

Large case like Antec One or something from here might be a starting place, but again, cases aren't my strongest point.

Advertisement