Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Build Wont Boot - What To Do

Options
  • 23-04-2015 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

New bits arrived today from HWV

Intel Core i5-4460 in-a-Box BX80646I54460
    2x Crucial Ballistix Sport DIMM 8GB, DDR3-1600 BLS8G3D1609DS1S00
    Thermaltake Hamburg 530 Watt W0392RE 46.1
    Seagate Laptop Thin SSHD 500GB SATA 6GB/s ST500LM000
    ASRock H97 Pro4, Sockel 1150, ATX

Hooked it all up tonight, went for the big turn on and - nothing
    Rechecked all the connectors and everything looks fine.
    Checked the PSU using the paperclip test and it spins up no problem.

Now thinking there could be a problem with the MOBO.

Any help really appreciated here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Tell me all the connections that you have plugged in on the motherboard. The one I usually forget is the CPU power thing. You got the 8 pin plugged in? Looks nice and hidden, it being black on a black motherboard :pac:

346305.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Take some pics. I did the same thing and did not plug in th mobo power lead. Simple enough when its pointed out, stressful when you cant see it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭whiteboard

Thanks for the replies; it will be this evening before I get to have another go at it.

back last night, Stripped everything back to
    1 - the 24 pin power block to the board (the_syco, I dont remember the connector you suggested, so will look at that 1st)
    2 - power switch from the case

Once tried and if no joy, I will post some pics

fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Try removing the CMOS :p Take everything out, including the HDD and make sure the motherboard loads, then add things one by one

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

whiteboard wrote: »
    back last night, Stripped everything back to
    1 - the 24 pin power block to the board (the_syco, I dont remember the connector you suggested, so will look at that 1st)
    2 - power switch from the case
    Yeah, it's the CPU power thing you're missing. It's often hidden away.

Also, if you're using a graphics card, ensure you don't need power plugged into it; most cards these days need extra power plugged into them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭whiteboard

We have lights, camera and action

Looks as if the missing piece of the jigsaw was the 8 pin connector as suggested by the_syco.

Also removed the CMOS just to be sure.

Anyway thanks again for the pointers; time to install an OS and see what this baby can do.

Whitey

Advertisement