Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PC Build

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭up4dabah

jayo26 wrote: »
    That's a nice build only thing is they don't seem to have the case in stock so that could hold it up??
    The previous day before I ordered both harddrives were out of stock and were back the next day so I don't mind waiting a bit. I'm hoping it'll be back by the time the payment goes through. They are on the the best selling cases so I can't imagine they'll be out of stock for a long time.

Its been handed over to ups already. Pretty impressed by the speed of the whole thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

up4dabah wrote: »
    Its been handed over to ups already. Pretty impressed by the speed of the whole thing

Your doing well I ordered a graphics card from cex online 3 days ago and it still says awaiting dispatch, how hard can it be to put a stamp on a box.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Your doing well I ordered a graphics card from cex online 3 days ago and it still says awaiting dispatch, how hard can it be to put a stamp on a box.
    I'm due a hassle free online order. Last two things I ordered online were a ****ing disaster

It arrived yesterday. Only 4, small problems. Two were my own fault.

The first is the European power cable so I need to get one. Its 16amp but apparently UK/Irish doesn't go beyond 13amp. Using a travel adapter at the moment.

I forgot to put the HDD in my order. So gotta get one from amazon or someplace.

I was plugging the HDMI from my TV to the bloody motherboard because I couldnt see the video card hdmis covered in these plastic molds and I thought it wasnt booting. I haven't had a PC in about 10 years so an amateur error there.

Also trying to change the windows 8.1 language from German to English was a bit of balls. Im still getting some German along with the English on boot up. I deleted the German language pack but there's still some there.

Also I'm not sure if I need to partition the ssd or what. All I have is the c drive and the optical disk showing. Do I need a recovery partition? Not even sure what that is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

You have to format this drive.
    Click start, run diskmgmt.msc (Disk Management). Locate your drive (unallocated space) right click, choose format. Format it with NTFS, assign drive letter. Done

You have to format this drive.
    Click start, run diskmgmt.msc (Disk Management). Locate your drive (unallocated space) right click, choose format. Format it with NTFS, assign drive letter. Done
    Will that wipe what's on it now? They installed windows and the drivers for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Will that wipe what's on it now? They installed windows and the drivers for me

So you only have one drive. An ssd your c drive. That has windows.

What exactly is not showing up I was under the impression you added a drive and it wasn't showing up. IGNORE ABOVE.

You put your recovery drive on a usb or DVD. Can use part of your drive . But if your drive fails pointless.

Damn man go play some games :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Probably don't need a recovery partition. If the PC runs I wouldn't worry about it. Set up Windows to back up to HDD if you need to

Probably don't need a recovery partition. If the PC runs I wouldn't worry about it. Set up Windows to back up to HDD if you need to
    Sorry I forgot to order the second drive. I Guess what I'm asking is do I need to do something like I have on my laptop. There's part of the drive partitioned called recovery d:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I meant when you get the HDD. Manufacturers generally have recovery partitions, neither of my builds have had one so I dunno. Never needed one, keep backups elsewhere. You probably won't need it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sorry I forgot to order the second drive. I Guess what I'm asking is do I need to do something like I have on my laptop. There's part of the drive partitioned called recovery d:

Recovery partitions are only provided by manufacturers like HP, Dell, Asus etc when you buy a prebuilt PC from them. You can't really do it yourself with a custom build. Windows will allow you to create a recovery USB drive however which is more or less the same thing just on an external USB device.

The reason why I ask because something popped up in German about no d: or something and my comodo firewall install was hanging at 99% but when I restarted the computer it was fully installed. Thanks for the advice lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

The reason why I ask because something popped up in German about no d: or something and my comodo firewall install was hanging at 99% but when I restarted the computer it was fully installed. Thanks for the advice lads.

Do you have a liscence key after they installed windows? Maybe it be an option to download a copy of your version of windows and re install it in English mate.

Advertisement