Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Story on the radio.

• 11-11-2011 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

Just something that was on a non Limerick radio station yesterday and on the Limerick station the day before that caught my ear and might be picked up by a paper or two in the coming week or so.

In the Weston area there is a certain family whose surname is often associated with crime, specifically organised crime.

Well that family have a german shepard dog which has bitten a number of people with the most recent person being a Garda according to the radio report.

The garda went to report the matter etc and it went to court, and given that this is about a dog that has been let bite a good number of people it makes sense that it would.

But the court side of things took a hit because the dog wardens, the city council, and various others have allegedly "forgotten" evidence against the dog and family, with some folk who live in the area saying that people did not follow up on complaints due to imtimidation, plus a female member of the family demanded a stay of execution so that the dog would not be put down from court proceedings and was allowed to get this. So now the court has to wait today to see if the family decide to appeal.

Just seems mad to me that a dog which has caused the city council to get 14 formal complaints over it, along with a number of people needing medical attention, took over a month to take from it's criminal owners after it did serious injury to the Garda in September, and we are now heading towards yet another month of court time etc being wasted (free legal aid is a fcuking blight imho when it comes to criminals getting it) on a case that if it was a dog belonging to a regular joe soap that no doubt would have seen the dog put down by now.

If a clear cut attack on a garda can get no speedy resolution, then what hope have ordinary people of any justice when they suffer at the hands of criminals or due to lack of care on the behalf of a criminal?

http://www.live95fm.ie/news/news-item/dangerous-limerick-dog-to-be-put-down-after-attacking-garda/baed7ad8-5fcb-4d95-9102-6991c751b24a

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Is it any suprise that people in the justice system dont get paid by the speedyness of their execution of the law but rather get paid better by how long it takes for an issue to get resolved?

Your a public servant in the justice system you can ether pass swift justice on a clear cut case and move on to the next OR you can basically be so methodical that one could almost see it as some kind of "work to rule" method of protest.....

One ensures you seem busy constantly and another may make it seem like the area is overstaffed. They choose the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭source

hightower1 wrote: »
    Is it any suprise that people in the justice system dont get paid by the speedyness of their execution of the law but rather get paid better by how long it takes for an issue to get resolved?

Your a public servant in the justice system you can ether pass swift justice on a clear cut case and move on to the next OR you can basically be so methodical that one could almost see it as some kind of "work to rule" method of protest.....

One ensures you seem busy constantly and another may make it seem like the area is overstaffed. They choose the latter.

Incorrect, it's nothing to do with the public servants, it's got more to do with the defence solicitors, who are usually working on legal aid with these cases that drag things out.

It happens every day in court where solicitors go forward to trial on legal aid cases only to make a plea on the day of the trial, something which should have/could have been done on the first day saving the court time, and the state money. Instead, the more often they appear in the case the more they get paid, so tend to drag it out. I've seen this so many times in court it's not even funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I was not knocking the system in terms of how fast or slow it is in general, I was bemoaning how a certain element can get more "bend" from the system than regular folk can.

How many regular people could own a dog that saw 14 formal complaints go in about the animal, then the animal put a garda in hospital with some pretty nasty injuries, and then see the case go on for a number of months?

Seems at times that the "rights" of a certain element come before the rights of victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

I thought that I saw a heading on the local paper the other night that the judge had ordered that the dog be put down?

Delphi91 wrote: »
    I thought that I saw a heading on the local paper the other night that the judge had ordered that the dog be put down?

It was ordered to be put down until a stay of execution was looked for, so it was given to them to allow them to decide if they wanted to appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭flutered

could it be a case of self preservation by the legal eagles, if certain clients feel agreeved at their repesentation more notice is taken of them than sean citizen, did not a legal eagle refuse to make charges after getting a slap for payment some time ago.

The dog has still not been put down, and a second dog, a rottweiler, who has attacked people and other dogs has also been impounded.

The case will be heard yet again later this year as the owners have appealed yet again against the judge's ruling. Hard to see how putting a garda into hospital with injuries is not enough proof of how dangerous the dog is, let alone the high number of formal complaints which came from other attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Free legal aid doesn't cost owner anything to go back to court.

At least gardai knows for next time, call armed response unit + shoot the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

its blatantly obvious that its a case of animals owning dogs.it just doesnt work.

Free legal aid doesn't cost owner anything to go back to court.

At least gardai knows for next time, call armed response unit + shoot the dog.

There were 14 formal complaints made due to attacks by the dog before a member of the Gardai was put in hospoital by the dog. It should not be a case of thinking about letting it get to a 16th incident just because the animal belongs to a criminal. A regular joe soap would not be allowed to have an animal with a long track record of attacking and injurying people so why should it be different for a criminal just because they can sponge off the state for free legal aid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Was this dog just randomly biting people in the area for no reason ?
    or might it have been trained or conditioned to attack people by its owners ?
    or to protect property from trespassers.

Perhaps the dog was only doing something it was trained to do and is
    not at fault, in which case I'd favor the owners being put down and not the dog.

~B

bullets wrote: »
    Was this dog just randomly biting people in the area for no reason ?
    or might it have been trained or conditioned to attack people by its owners ?
    or to protect property from trespassers.

Perhaps the dog was only doing something it was trained to do and is
    not at fault, in which case I'd favor the owners being put down and not the dog.

~B

It would appear that the dog was biting and attacking when let out by itself as well as being set on people.

It would also appear the dog was being used by a 9 year old boy and other kids as pretty much a weapon.

The second dog, a rottweiler, is meant to belong to a different address but the same solicitor is looking after that case as well.

My own opinion is that based on the amount of attacks the first dog has made, and based upon the fact it has never had a muzzle outdoors that it will continue to be a threat if it is let back to the same area and to the same owners or any associates of those owners.

I also think that anyone who keeps a dangerous dog, as in a dog that is a proven danger to others and that has a history of inflicting injuries, should be banned from owning any dog in the future and should be fined/charged if they did so.

I just think that this case is laughable though in that so much leeway is being given to the criminals involved when dogs in Limerick belonging to law abiding owners have been put down for one biting incident. If so much leeway is to be given to a case in which there has been reports of intimidation and threats to officials as well as residents, then the same leeway should be, and should have been, shown to regular folks in similar cases in Limerick.

Totally agree on putting down bad owners before putting down a bad dog though.:D At least a dog can generally be retrained with time and patience.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭adaminho

I think the family will appeal as they will loose their dog dole otherwise! Supposedly if you bring your dog license to the dole office you get €15 a week to feed your dog!

adaminho wrote: »
    I think the family will appeal as they will loose their dog dole otherwise! Supposedly if you bring your dog license to the dole office you get €15 a week to feed your dog!

Don't think that is true. I think that comes under the juristiction of a community welfare officer and not the social welfare. But I could be wrong on that.

Advertisement