Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lotto 'All or Nothing' Odds

• 09-10-2009 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭

Considering the Search Function is no longer our friend -

Has anyone calculated the odds for winning a prize in All or Nothing? It'd be interesting to see if there's -any- game in the lotto where the odds are a little more fair than 1/16,000,000

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

1/2,704,156

(24*23*22*21*20*19*18*17*16*15*14*13) / (1*2*3*4*5*6*7*8*9*10*11*12)

In a spreadsheet it's easier

=FACT(24)/(FACT(12)*FACT(12))

Formula for any draw like this is:

=FACT(x)/(FACT(y)*FACT(x-y))
    where x is the number of balls in the draw and y is the number of balls you can choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ontheditch

Said in some press release that it is 1 in 1.3m to win it. I think because you can win by 2 methods (all the numbers or none of the numbers) you half the formula by macros that was used above. So the 1/2.7m goes to 1/1.35m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

True actually. You can win by matching all or by matching none - either way it's 12/24 but it's either 12 so the odds are 2,704,156/2 = 1,352,078/1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I'm not a mathematician , so don't understand any of the figures above , however , what I do undersatnd is that you win € 25 for matching 10 numbers , and in my opinion , that is bad value for money .

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

5,000 for matching eleven numbers is also very bad value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

It's a racket.
    First 3 draws No winners of any of the first 3 prizes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

okidoki987 wrote: »
    It's a racket.
    First 3 draws No winners of any of the first 3 prizes!

How about we open a book on this con job.

No 1/2/3 place winner in the first 20 draws 1/25

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭RocketRonnie

Pure sh@#e , wont last....:p

I think the euromillions is the best of them all.
    I was in my local shop the other day and was talking to the owner and we were commenting on all the various scratch cards that are out now including 5 and 10 euro cards. It seems a lot of elderly people are addicted to these scratch cards. People who probably can ill afford to keep buying them in the hope of winning a substantial prize. Most I have ever won on a scratch card is 50 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

People who probably can ill afford to keep buying them in the hope of winning a substantial prize

That's why people mostly buy Lottery tickets or Lotto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Still nobody has matched all 12 or indeed not matched all 12 .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭jacool

Still nobody has matched all 12 or indeed not matched all 12 .
    one week on and nothing has changed - well, expect numbers playing may have plummeted !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

lol @ "Value for money"

I think the lotto have gone overboard with all these games and scratch cards.
    What I would like to see is the main lotto draws on Wednesday and Saturday revamped. Increase the prize money for some of the lower category prizes and get rid of these 3 numbers wins a scratch card. I think this scratch card lark is to entice people to buy more of these.
    The Lotto Plus 1 and 2 draws also need bumping up. Some of the prizes for matching say 4 numbers are a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

i got 9 numbers the other day..

Was thinkin i must get at least a few hundred, as the odds of 9, is in the hundreds of thousands.

went in......to shop...

10 euro....

never again...what a scam...

m.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

and the worst part is it's €2 a go :eek:
    Monday Millions isn't much better as the jackpot stays at a possible million every time.
    It never goes up even if it's not won :eek: and the worrying thing is, the jackpot is NOT quaranteed to be a million.
    It depends on how many winners there are and how much the total available pot is.
    So if there are say 50 winners of the jackpot (Big odds against it has to be said but) then they will allocate the amount of the jackpot based on the total take out including all the other winners.
    This is stop them having to pay out many many jackpots in the case of say numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6 coming out where there may be 50 winners or 5.
    They dont advertise that on the TV or in the papers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Some one got the 12 on the 30th.
    No one has matched 0 yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

All or nothing won't last too long i would reckon. After the main prize it's not worth a sh1t. Someone alreday said they got 9 numbers from 12 and got 10 quid. terrible terrible value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Darky Finn

I got 1 number in tonights draw, thats 1 number away from matching none, so i was 1 number away from 500 grand. The thing i dont get is if you match 12 you get the jackpot and if you match 0 you get the jackpot so if i matched only 1 number shouldnt that be the same prize as someone matching 11 numbers? What i mean is the person who matched 11 numbers beat the odds but would i have not beaten the exact same odds? The prize for matching 11 numbers is 5 grand, but of course for matching 1 i get fúck all :(.

Wonder how long will the National Lottery continue with this game. I think its very bad value. Has anybody won the 0 numbers game? Its expensive enough two with 2 euro a line.
    Think I would rather they did away with these games including Monday millionaire and put extra monies towards the 5 and 4 numbers of each of the Wednesday and Saturday draws. Plus do away with all the scratchcard prizes if you get three numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Darky Finn wrote: »
    I got 1 number in tonights draw, thats 1 number away from matching none, so i was 1 number away from 500 grand. The thing i dont get is if you match 12 you get the jackpot and if you match 0 you get the jackpot so if i matched only 1 number shouldnt that be the same prize as someone matching 11 numbers? What i mean is the person who matched 11 numbers beat the odds but would i have not beaten the exact same odds? The prize for matching 11 numbers is 5 grand, but of course for matching 1 i get fúck all :(.

That is bad alright, you expect 11 to be the same as 1. It's just a sign of how s##t the game is. The National Lottery are totally taking advantage of the recession by introducing so many new games. They should have their license reviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Darky Finn wrote: »

Yeah the odds are the same. Seriously though you'd be better off burning your money. At least it would keep you warm for a few seconds.

I think the best draw is the euromillions once a week.
    There are too many games now Monday Millions each Monday, All or Nothing every day, Telly Bingo Tuesdays and Fridays, the two main lotto draws on a Wednesday and Saturday its crazy.
    I really feel they should just have the two main lotto draws on Wednesday and Saturday, bump up the prize money in the lotto plus draws and do away with those scratchcard prizes.

Just been on the lotto website and from tonight until Sunday the all or nothing prizes are doubled.
    Obviously tickets are not selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

the all or nothing prizes are doubled

If it was trebled I still wouldn't play it, complete waste of money and the NL trying to make it better value for a few days says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭thesandeman

As a matter of interest has anyone ever done the Bakers Dozen slip in PPs? I spotted it last week when there was nuttin to watch except the cartoon racing. It sorta similar to AorN- you pick 13 numbers in the Irish Lotto and if 7,6 or 5 numbers come up you win. Any clever person care to work out the odds?

Ticket sales must be down on these newer draws. I got three numbers on two lines last week in the main lotto and got two tickets for tomorrow nights Monday Millions. So they seem to be pluggin these other games.
    Personally I think Monday Millions and All or Nothing should be done away with altogether. I would also like to see those scratchcard prizes done away with. And these must not be selling either. Maybe if people stopped doing these draws the lotto might come to its senses. The prizes for the main lotto draws for example 5 numbers are pathetic to say the least.
    I think that the euromillions lottery has become so popular that a lot of people are doing it instead of the Irish lotto and more than likely sales are down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

As a matter of interest has anyone ever done the Bakers Dozen slip in PPs? I spotted it last week when there was nuttin to watch except the cartoon racing. It sorta similar to AorN- you pick 13 numbers in the Irish Lotto and if 7,6 or 5 numbers come up you win. Any clever person care to work out the odds?

Without getting too technical, the bookie is ****ing you over, but to a lesser extent of the National Lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Healio wrote: »
    Without getting too technical, the bookie is ****ing you over, but to a lesser extent of the National Lottery.

Not really. His mark up here is no greater than on the average race or match. However, its just the neutral aspect makes it easier to calculate.

If you insist on doing the lotto. You should do it in he bookies. Its far far better than the actual prices offered by the lotto. It still has a markup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ratzo Rizzo

Being unemployed in this fair green isle of ours and acutely aware of the need of the National Lottery to extract more cash from the pockets of those who need it most, I decided to take a look at the results of the "All or Nothing" scam.
    I looked at the results available on the National Lottery website and decided to check the 80 draws run from January 1st to March 31st.
    Depressingly, just 2 tickets managed to match all 12 numbers, a whopping zero tickets managed to match no numbers for the same top prize.
    If I'm bothered or get really bored I'll tot up all the prize money won by lucky ticket holders for the 80 draws over the first 3 months of this year. Suffice to say just looking at the number of top prize winners you've a better chance of pulling in a convent than winning on "All or Nothing".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement