Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old Limerick nightclubs

• 30-06-2009 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

Been reading the other threads about nightclubs.
    I could not find my precious at the time Tropics membership Gold card that I treasured so much as a poor teenager.

I did find a few Comps/Flyers from a few of the old Limerick Clubs. If anyone has anymore from yesteryear maybe this
    would be a good thread to post them on.

The saints opening night one is from 1993.
    Also note the Epub card. A few pubs in Limerick briefly
    got these machines in where you could buy a card like
    the phone cards and use it to surf the net in the late 90's

The late flyers from Termights were printed on two different qualities
    of Card I remember at the time the staff trying to take the better
    ones back over and over again off poeple so they could re-issue them.

Ahh memories! :D
    ~B
    oldclubs.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

RG, Phase two and Tropics all the same thing. LOL. Always the same place, nobody cared what it was called.

Standing shivering at the side door to climb the death trap of a stairs to pay. Imagine that in a fire. :rolleyes:

Boru's Membership card. Is this the same Boru's in the Soutcourt? Why would anybody bother? I cannot remember it ever being good. I was working in Dell and Dell Staff were barred because we all drank ourselves stupid and wrecked the atmosphere for the Tourists.

Oh the memories. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,100 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Anyone remember these places:

Legends: Overhead the Savoy, later was called The Works on one floor and Termintes on another floor for a while.

Temple of Sound: It used to be called Cheers for the geriactrics around here. It was on Catherine Street overhead the Desmond Arms or later called the High Stool.

Doc's: Which is basically were Trinity Rooms is now. Spend most of my teenage years in that place.

The Perry: Known as Aubar's now but it was a little posh back then, whoever designed it obviously copied the interior of Baker's Place.

Shannon Arms: Nighclub was below the bar called Feathery Burke's where you could buy a bottle of some cheap tasting alco pop for £1. Guaranteed a riot there every weekend.

Poldark's: For those who are almost retired now (well before my time) then there was this place out in the Two Mile Inn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

bazz26 wrote: »
    It used to be called Cheers for the geriactrics around here.

Not sure what your definition of "geriatrics" is .... it was Cheers in the 80s, so that'd make anyone who knew it or knew of if around 35 - 50 mark. Hardly geriatrics.

Tropics was a decent spot, with the 80s night a firm favourite. The issue was that it was always FAR too packed - uncomfortably so, and with almost no chance of re-meeting the mates you went in there with if you got separated.

Plus, IIRC, the fire exit regularly had a chain on it to stop the scobes sneaking in.......they'd obviously never heard of the Stardust.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,100 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Not sure what your definition of "geriatrics" is .... it was Cheers in the 80s, so that'd make anyone who knew it or knew of if around 35 - 50 mark. Hardly geriatrics.

It was only a light heated comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Berty wrote: »

Boru's Membership card. Is this the same Boru's in the Soutcourt? Why would anybody bother? I cannot remember it ever being good.

I put my hand up! I picked it up off the ground one morning
    on the way to work :D:D:D

I later asked in reception several times about getting a membership card at the time for the place but all I got was
    empty promises from a pretty girl behind a desk.

Its the same place where a spotty teenager asked me for ID at 3 O'Clock in the day time when at 30 years of age I
    decided to order a toasted sandwhich and a pint of bulmers.

~B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Oh my gawwwwd!!! Reading these names make me feel fecking ancient!

I was a Docs head myself and we would start off the night in Feathery Bourkes for £1 drinks, then down to Docs :D

Its interesting as I dont ever remember a single flyer for
    Feathery Bourke's yet we had cheap alco pops (woodies brand) and bbq burgers in the summer. I really liked that place before it
    was overun by scum. I remember it even had a pay phone
    to the left of the Bar. The Bouncers were all Army Dudes making a few extra bucks doing bouncing
    in their spare time, I never had any issues getting in as I was in the FCA at the time and knew them all.

I remember 4 different nights from Feathery's.

I remember ringing a girl I had a crush on trying to convince her to meet me and failing.
    I still think of her from time to time nearly 2 decades later being one of the 3 Girls in my entire
    life that I've really liked and got away.

Chatting up the neigbours daughter who was coming of age and blossomed and started underage night clubbing
    again getting no-place.

Accidently talking to some girl and having her lick my ear errotically and shifting her and on the night thinking she was the best looking girl I had ever laid eyes upon and wondering how the hell I had such great luck.
    (later facing the choice of picking her or a lovely blonde haired girl
    to ask on a date, and picking her, getting snubbed & Dumped by her, and then having lovely lady number 2 who was older and more experianced than me moving on.......and the oppertunity of Carnal knowledge disappearing)

Lastly I remember shifting some girl who looked old but I later found out she was Faaarrrr too young for me and then later again on the same night finding out her ex-boyfirend was one of the poeple responsible for a riot
    that started there where poeple got hurt.

Tropics I remember one Fantastic night where a Babe actually tried to chat me up!
    and get me drunk by buying me drink. It was totally weird and fantastic but it unfortunatly
    for me was only a one night stand.

Docs Night club, as I had a baby face I never got in when I was 16! (cough cough 18!)
    I remember my friends trying to convince me to swap jackets with them to "try again" at the door.
    One of the nights when it was pissing rain the felt sorry for me and just left me in.
    Later when I was actually 18 I remember Jimmy Butler the bouncer at the time making smart comments
    and calling me the Terminator/Highlander/Equaliser as I worre a long trench coat at the time.
    I dont recall having much luck with the women folk here apart from once or twice with all the times
    I went there as a horney teenager.

Saints/Tropics/Docs all at the time I went clubbing had Army or Ex Army bouncers on the doors
    at the time making some extra cash.
    ~B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

JC - Poldarks - where the carpet on the floor was always sticky - don't be reminding me!:D

LB6 wrote: »
    JC - Poldarks - where the carpet on the floor was always sticky - don't be reminding me!:D

Never went their but my slightly olderCousins did. Did they
    have the walls painted black?

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭sioda

Bullets I think you'll find the alcopop in Feathery's was called Corkys

Cheers was also called tangos well each side of the club had a different name

God I'm only 30 and I can remember Poldarks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I remember when Docs used to serve food with your ticket to the club, a plate of curry and rice or spaghetti, who thought that was a good idea for drunk people?!

Temple of Sound (or Temple of Tablets) was a ****hole, every scummer in town used to go to that dump

Termights was great for ages then it was 14-18 year olds in there and it sucked, although the night Fugazi played there was something else

I remember the first night out I ever had in town was to the Henry Cecil, that night I saw a guy get glassed in the face then another guy the living ****e kicked out of him right in front of the bouncers and someone put out a cigarette on him as he was being held down, didnt go out for ages afterwards after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭boardsdotie

Poldarks had a soap bubble blowing machine, pure 80's (33)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

No better place than Termights to find love :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Where was feathery's?

I'm far too young to remember any of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭bantee

Aah, the Temple of Sound and its Monday-Night-Madness promo. Every drink £1. Remember my drink of choice at the time was 4 vodkas and a can of red bull in a pint glass (totally illegal btw). Good times, good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭DESQ

Where was Tropics and Cheers?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

termites was the best back in 95-99

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭sioda

Tropics was in the george and cheers was in the desmond

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

DESQ wrote: »
    Where was Tropics and Cheers?

Tropics was in the old George hotel, Cheers was up where Lapellos was. Anybody ever to to the theatre Royal? Madness guaranteed up there.
    There was a nightclub up by the the Glentworth called Mr G's, over 25's.
    I remember when the Globe opened it was the place to be which lasted a few months before it lost its appeal.
    There was actually a nighclub downstairs in Feathery's (which is down on Henry street beside Anglo Irish Bank for whoever was asking) It was free in at first and then they started charging £2. The sinks in the toilets were full of coloured puke every night from people drinking Hooch and Woodies.
    Then there was Mr Bojangles upstairs in the Henry cecil, free in Thursday nights and minimal/no id required so spent a few school nights in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jocksandsocks

Roadend wrote: »
    Tropics was in the old George hotel, Cheers was up where Lapellos was. Anybody ever to to the theatre Royal? Madness guaranteed up there.
    There was a nightclub up by the the Glentworth called Mr G's, over 25's.
    I remember when the Globe opened it was the place to be which lasted a few months before it lost its appeal.
    There was actually a nighclub downstairs in Feathery's (which is down on Henry street beside Anglo Irish Bank for whoever was asking) It was free in at first and then they started charging £2. The sinks in the toilets were full of coloured puke every night from people drinking Hooch and Woodies.
    Then there was Mr Bojangles upstairs in the Henry cecil, free in Thursday nights and minimal/no id required so spent a few school nights in there.

the dj in mr.bojangles was a gas man.anytime utd played l'pool on saturday morning he'd have the club songs on in the disco the night before.it was always the start of the weekly fight!

great pub though when i started chancing my arm in the pubs around town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

He was the big fella with the receding hairline, he was english or something?

There was a nighclub above the Park bar in the Parkway as far as I know, though I was never in there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

There was a nighclub above the Park bar in the Parkway as far as I know, though I was never in there

There was a niteclub above the park.. that was going back many years then it turned into the cairo bout 95-96. i remember seeing technotronic playing up there in 1990-91. i was 14/15 my mother used to work the cloakroom so i was always there. yes i remember the theatre royal and even before that in the glentworth was limericks first offical dance club. pippy was the dj and i think i was about 16 or 17 im almost 33 now..

I actually used to dj myself downstairs in the shannon arms when it was featherys. cant remember much from those days though. i do remember downstairs in featherys there were these little rooms and they were almost pitch dark. defo the good old dayz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭jmccoy

Eamon and Liam Ryan, two brothers, thats who they are. Great lads and still around in the DJ game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

No mention of Strictly Rhythm yet ... or Boogie Wonderland??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭jmccoy

I used to work in the RG (laterly the Gallery) when I was 16-17. Used to love the place.

Termights used to be a laugh, although you would have to ask the girls for ID.

Costelloes was also a laugh, pints of Bass for £1.50 and all those lovely students.

The Globe was ****, and what was all this bollocks about having to show that you had a credit card to get to the top floor (Habanna) all about. Although I remember using the card to pay £80 for a bottle of Moet & Chandon after getting back from a match in Croker (which Limerick lost).

Docs was my favourite, chilli con carne, drink galore and lasers. Always had a crack in Docs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

concussion wrote: »
    No better place than Termights to find love :D

I can second that - I met my lovely wife there

Also RIP DJ Pat Moloney

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Feathery's was Legendary

2 Two Dog for a £1

£1 a bottle £1 a shot

I remember a friend being stopped for ID, being asked his age and replying '17'

We thought: 'He's blown it, idiot'

The reply 'Go on in son, at least your honest'!!!!!

Think there should be a campaign to bring it back....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Poldarks - yep - black walls and disco balls....

Anyone remember the Pink Elephant? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Streete

For anyone feeling really sentimental or nostalgic, DJ Tom Fitz of Termights and many other great nights out is organising a gig for The Limerick Alzheimers Association upstairs in Dolans on July 18th. With live music early on from a couple of old heads from the Limerick music scene and then himself playing classic Termights stuff till the wee hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

LB6 wrote: »
    Poldarks - yep - black walls and disco balls....

Anyone remember the Pink Elephant? :eek:

I remember the pink elephant as a child.. i actually seen status quo live next door when i was about 10! in where the lobby was during the (new) savoy cinema days.

Strictly?? meh!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement