Bumper Accomodation Thread *Put ALL Accomodation queries here* - Page 63 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-04-2015, 03:25   #931
Becca96

Quote:
Originally Posted by afriendlyshark View Post
I don't know anything about it personally, except that it's located on Barrack Street which can be fairly rough. My boyfriend knows someone who was stabbed there last year.

Just be careful, don't walk home alone along Barrack Street anyways. Sorry, can't help you on the accommodation itself.
Yikes! Ok, thank you for your help/advice
Advertisement
13-04-2015, 19:21   #932
pa limerick

Really need help where is the one place that will have the most first years?
14-04-2015, 08:24   #933
Richmond Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa limerick View Post
Really need help where is the one place that will have the most first years?
Farranlea, student village or vic mills have the most but bear in mind after first year most students move out to houses so you'll be sorted for first years in the majority of student accommodation.
14-04-2015, 21:15   #934
Jlayay

What is your opinion of Farranlea Hall? It is the cheapest option at 4400 Euro and is ensuite. My GEM program lasts until June so if I stay for the summer it is only 75 Euro per week on top of the residence fees. I'd check the place out myself if I was in Ireland but I'm Canadian.

I've read up some reviews of this place and they all seem pretty bad from not giving your deposit back to doors being easily opened for theft to paper thin walls that aren't soundproof etc etc. Is it that bad? Anyone with impressions?
14-04-2015, 22:47   #935
Benm123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmond Ultra View Post
I'd consider Farranlea if you want the en suite. Yes its a bit further out then Brookfield from Campus but the craic is mighty and you've wardens there supervising the place but their sound and there is plenty of parties there etc.
Hey, i dont mean to single you out in particular but from your post i gather you live/have lived there before?

I recently just booked my place there but i have 10 days to pay the deposit to secure it, and in the last few days ive read some absolutely terrible reviews on the place. This past review i found may be a bit long (and granted its from 2011) but i'd be so grateful if you could give me your experience with any these issues and let me know if any of them or even how many of them are true?

"
1. Half of the photos on their website does not present Farranlea at all. If you ask to view it before move in, they are sure to show you the best apartment they have, freshly painted and with new stuff in it to encourage you, but don't be fouled, it does not look like that at all. A lot of my friends apartment actually had vomit stained into the couches and floors. They will also promise you everything you want to have you book it. Once you pay, you can complain as much as you want and they'll do nothing.
2. The more you complain or ask for things to be done, no metter how nice you are, the meaner and aggressive Emma Bucley, the office worker, becomes. I must say I have never experienced such an aggressive, ignorant and rude "customer service", whih includes bad language, shouting and waving her hands in front of your face. Whoever owns it should seriously connsider employing someone else.
3. It is not secure at all. Door can be pushed open and half of Cork know about it and makes advantage of it, so you are very likely to get robbed.
4.This place is very dirty, things are not fixed properly or not fixed at all, there are vomit stains all over the carpets and couches. And they have the cheek to call themselves "Superior student accommodation" on their website.
5.Its not 5 minutes walk from college, it's at least 15 through orchard road and that's if you walk fast. Whatever is 5 minutes walk from college is on campus, and from what I know, Farranlea is NOT. Besides, you can easily count the walking time on googlemaps. Their website is full of lies and i am truly shocked with it.
6. Walls are paper thin, they say they're soundproofed but i'd advise them to look it up in a dictionary."

As you can see im a little sceptical after reading this!

My other option was going to be the village so if anyone has any info about the quality there, thatd be great too!
Advertisement
15-04-2015, 09:23   #936
afriendlyshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benm123 View Post
Hey, i dont mean to single you out in particular but from your post i gather you live/have lived there before?

I recently just booked my place there but i have 10 days to pay the deposit to secure it, and in the last few days ive read some absolutely terrible reviews on the place. This past review i found may be a bit long (and granted its from 2011) but i'd be so grateful if you could give me your experience with any these issues and let me know if any of them or even how many of them are true?

"
1. Half of the photos on their website does not present Farranlea at all. If you ask to view it before move in, they are sure to show you the best apartment they have, freshly painted and with new stuff in it to encourage you, but don't be fouled, it does not look like that at all. A lot of my friends apartment actually had vomit stained into the couches and floors. They will also promise you everything you want to have you book it. Once you pay, you can complain as much as you want and they'll do nothing.
2. The more you complain or ask for things to be done, no metter how nice you are, the meaner and aggressive Emma Bucley, the office worker, becomes. I must say I have never experienced such an aggressive, ignorant and rude "customer service", whih includes bad language, shouting and waving her hands in front of your face. Whoever owns it should seriously connsider employing someone else.
3. It is not secure at all. Door can be pushed open and half of Cork know about it and makes advantage of it, so you are very likely to get robbed.
4.This place is very dirty, things are not fixed properly or not fixed at all, there are vomit stains all over the carpets and couches. And they have the cheek to call themselves "Superior student accommodation" on their website.
5.Its not 5 minutes walk from college, it's at least 15 through orchard road and that's if you walk fast. Whatever is 5 minutes walk from college is on campus, and from what I know, Farranlea is NOT. Besides, you can easily count the walking time on googlemaps. Their website is full of lies and i am truly shocked with it.
6. Walls are paper thin, they say they're soundproofed but i'd advise them to look it up in a dictionary."

As you can see im a little sceptical after reading this!

My other option was going to be the village so if anyone has any info about the quality there, thatd be great too!
I can't say personally for Farranlea (though I did visit two separate apartments there, and they seemed fine! The kitchens were modern looking, and the bedrooms were big enough!)
I lived in the Student Village for two years and loved it! They also say they're about a 5 minute walk from campus, which again is a lie, but it's only about 10 which is still really close. Gerry, the security guard, is the nicest you'll meet. The apartments are a little bit outdated but they're comfortable. If you have a complaint, they're sure to fix it. They're secure - you use your key fob to get through the gate, and your key for the building and your apartment. You can also lock your bedroom door, which I took advantage of every time I wasn't there. My bedroom was on the smaller side, but I was in an apartment of 6 rather than 5. The window in the living room looks out onto the green, in the center of the complex, which is nice, especially when it's sunny so it makes the room nice and bright. I was on the top floor of one block, so I didn't have to deal with any music from parties in other apartments, which I liked. When I first moved there, I found it noisy because I came from living in the countryside with no noise at all. If you're used to noise, you'll be fine. The only thing really was ambulances (it's located on a route to CUH).

Overall, it's one of the nicer places to live in, and that's including Vic Mills and Castlewhite. Vic Mills all have en-suites, as far as I'm aware, but other than that there's not much to it. I was in an apartment of 6, none of us had an en-suite, but I still only had to share my bathroom with one other person - there was no fighting over who got to use the shower first, like I can imagine happens a lot in Castlewhite! (only one bathroom for up to 6 people).

Hope this helps you in some way
Thanks from:
15-04-2015, 19:43   #937
Benm123

Quote:
Originally Posted by afriendlyshark View Post
I can't say personally for Farranlea (though I did visit two separate apartments there, and they seemed fine! The kitchens were modern looking, and the bedrooms were big enough!)
I lived in the Student Village for two years and loved it! They also say they're about a 5 minute walk from campus, which again is a lie, but it's only about 10 which is still really close. Gerry, the security guard, is the nicest you'll meet. The apartments are a little bit outdated but they're comfortable. If you have a complaint, they're sure to fix it. They're secure - you use your key fob to get through the gate, and your key for the building and your apartment. You can also lock your bedroom door, which I took advantage of every time I wasn't there. My bedroom was on the smaller side, but I was in an apartment of 6 rather than 5. The window in the living room looks out onto the green, in the center of the complex, which is nice, especially when it's sunny so it makes the room nice and bright. I was on the top floor of one block, so I didn't have to deal with any music from parties in other apartments, which I liked. When I first moved there, I found it noisy because I came from living in the countryside with no noise at all. If you're used to noise, you'll be fine. The only thing really was ambulances (it's located on a route to CUH).

Overall, it's one of the nicer places to live in, and that's including Vic Mills and Castlewhite. Vic Mills all have en-suites, as far as I'm aware, but other than that there's not much to it. I was in an apartment of 6, none of us had an en-suite, but I still only had to share my bathroom with one other person - there was no fighting over who got to use the shower first, like I can imagine happens a lot in Castlewhite! (only one bathroom for up to 6 people).

Hope this helps you in some way
Certainly very helpful, thanks very much. I think I might go with the Village, overall that seems to have the best reviews, and it seems closest to the gym which is always a plus!

You say you were in a room with 6 people but only had to share a bathroom with 1 other person? Does that mean there are a few bathrooms located in ine apartment? (I know there is at least one bathroom and an en-suite, but if there are more than 2 bathrooms apart from the en-suite then it may be just as good to book a room without an en suite?).

Also are the strict on letting people stay over? Do they have a rule where all non residents have to leave by a certain time and then arent let in unless signed in in advance?

Last edited by Benm123; 15-04-2015 at 19:47.
15-04-2015, 21:52   #938
afriendlyshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benm123 View Post
Certainly very helpful, thanks very much. I think I might go with the Village, overall that seems to have the best reviews, and it seems closest to the gym which is always a plus!

You say you were in a room with 6 people but only had to share a bathroom with 1 other person? Does that mean there are a few bathrooms located in ine apartment? (I know there is at least one bathroom and an en-suite, but if there are more than 2 bathrooms apart from the en-suite then it may be just as good to book a room without an en suite?).

Also are the strict on letting people stay over? Do they have a rule where all non residents have to leave by a certain time and then arent let in unless signed in in advance?
Well my apartment didn't have an en-suite, we were on the top floor and I don't think anyone on the top floor of any block had an en-suite. I shared with one other person only because the other four shared the other bathroom - there were two. It was three girls and three guys, and we were going to do 1 bathroom for the girls and one for the guys, but the other girl just used the other one because her bedroom was closer to it. My boyfriend had an en-suite in his apartment, and lived with four other guys. So between the four of them, they had a half bathroom (just a toilet and sink), a bathroom and I think a room with just a shower in it (not 100% sure on this, or if every apartment had this).

Regarding letting others stay over, they seemed pretty lax. I had a friend visit me a few weeks in, and you just had to give the person's name at reception, with how long they would be staying. This didn't seem completely necessary though, I only did it because I was afraid they were strict. There's no real way for them to know if you've someone staying or not, anyways. They were strict during RAG week, but I'm pretty sure every accommodation is.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion