Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Election Posters

Options
  • 25-05-2014 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

An election candidate (or some of their team) put up a poster on my property on Friday morning. The poster itself is on a telephone pole which is located in a field (about 2-4 meters from the road) but they still had to enter the field. I have no regard for this candidate or this party and don't want to have any connections to it. My question is can I remove this poster myself? And if so, do I just send it off to the recycling centre or give it to the party etc.?

Thanks for all - just can't bare looking at this for another few weeks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Take it down and keep it a few weeks. Then put it up in July and ring the local returning officer of your County Council to tell them the poster wasn'r removed. You won't have any posters erected on your property again by the candidate or their agents after the fine is imposed on them....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

They have to take it down so save yourself the bother and let the candidate do it.

Putting posters up poles is part of the democratic process every few years. You should embrace it as part of living a democratic country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Take it down and keep it a few weeks. Then put it up in July and ring the local returning officer of your County Council to tell them the poster wasn'r removed. You won't have any posters erected on your property again by the candidate or their agents after the fine is imposed on them....

If it worked like that, it would be great fun. Council Litter wardens are aware of tricks like removing posters and then replacing them after the event for political campaigns. They tend to take the line of notifying and asking parties to remove material if reported under these circumstance. If they remain in situ, they are then fined. As I understand it, the fines apply only to posters which remain in public places. I can confirm this over the next day or so with a man who knows better on such issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

You are entitled to take it down but you must return it to the owners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Although the pole is owned by a utility company, if it's on private land it probably wouldn't be under the remit of a council litter warden.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

d1234 wrote: »
    An election candidate (or some of their team) put up a poster on my property on Friday morning. The poster itself is on a telephone pole which is located in a field (about 2-4 meters from the road) but they still had to enter the field.
    Invoice the party for accessing your field to put up posters? Don't invoice them for the poster being on the pole, as you don't own the telephone pole (or if you do, invoice them for that). I'm sure they won't do it again :pac:

Or they may, but double the price next time :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

If it worked like that, it would be great fun. Council Litter wardens are aware of tricks like removing posters and then replacing them after the event for political campaigns. They tend to take the line of notifying and asking parties to remove material if reported under these circumstance. If they remain in situ, they are then fined. As I understand it, the fines apply only to posters which remain in public places. I can confirm this over the next day or so with a man who knows better on such issues.

The poster may be in breach of the Litter Acts if it is visible from a public place.

The poster should not have been placed in private property without permission.

Serious lack of cop on by someone

Advertisement