Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trustworthy repair shops in the Dublin City

• 05-03-2015 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey guys,

I'm sure this question has been asked hundreds of times through the forum, but none of the threads I have read have returned the same answers - Where in Dublin is the best place to go for a 'cheap' repair?

Obviously, the likes of CompuB are a trusty source, but sometimes the offer of having your phone fixed for a fraction of the cost is too tempting. I've heard horror, as well as hero stories about some of these cheaper shops. People swearing for and against. But what shops in Dublin can we really trust?

With that, are there any 'technically gifted' folk online that could help? I've got an iPhone 5 I need to get repaired.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cormacc

What's wrong with the iPhone 5?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭jay2k6ie

Hey guys,

I'm sure this question has been asked hundreds of times through the forum, but none of the threads I have read have returned the same answers - Where in Dublin is the best place to go for a 'cheap' repair?

Obviously, the likes of CompuB are a trusty source, but sometimes the offer of having your phone fixed for a fraction of the cost is too tempting. I've heard horror, as well as hero stories about some of these cheaper shops. People swearing for and against. But what shops in Dublin can we really trust?

With that, are there any 'technically gifted' folk online that could help? I've got an iPhone 5 I need to get repaired.

Thanks

"Cheap and trustworthy" don't really go together in the same sentence when it comes to phone repair. "Cheap" repair centres are cheap because they use knock off cheap replacement parts which are unreliable and generally no warranty is given.

You have to understand that for the most part, the cost of repair is in the parts not the labour. Compu B is crazy money and not always reliable plus they send your phone away for weeks. The phone networks are the same, they all use Fonfix and they're dreadful.

Two places I've had success with and felt the price was fair based on the quality of work/parts. e-tech.ie and Quickfix.

jay2k6ie wrote: »
    "Cheap and trustworthy" don't really go together in the same sentence when it comes to phone repair. "Cheap" repair centres are cheap because they use knock off cheap replacement parts which are unreliable and generally no warranty is given.

You have to understand that for the most part, the cost of repair is in the parts not the labour. Compu B is crazy money and not always reliable plus they send your phone away for weeks. The phone networks are the same, they all use Fonfix and they're dreadful.

Two places I've had success with and felt the price was fair based on the quality of work/parts. E-Tech and Quickfix.

I'd have to disagree somewhat on that, the cost of the repair is in the labour and not the parts. If your talking about a button that's broken, the cable to replace it is usually only a couple of euro but you will still be charged €25+. Screens on the other hand usually have a 100% mark up, most iPhone <5s screens are around less than €35/40. The price of labour is what brings the cost of the repair up.

cormacc wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree somewhat on that, the cost of the repair is in the labour and not the parts. If your talking about a button that's broken, the cable to replace it is usually only a couple of euro but you will still be charged €25+. Screens on the other hand usually have a 100% mark up, most iPhone <5s screens are around less than €35/40. The price of labour is what brings the cost of the repair up.

I'd have to disagree with that screen markup. By that estimation if you were using original replacement parts and iPhone 6 plus screen would be around €600 to repair. A Galaxy S5 screen would be €300.

A lot depends on how good the technicians are and how fast they can work, also the parts they're using. One technician might take an hour to replace an iPhone screen, another might take 10 minutes but still have the same level of quality.

jay2k6ie wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree with that screen markup. By that estimation if you were using original replacement parts and iPhone 6 plus screen would be around €600 to repair. A Galaxy S5 screen would be €300.

A lot depends on how good the technicians are and how fast they can work, also the parts they're using. One technician might take an hour to replace an iPhone screen, another might take 10 minutes but still have the same level of quality.

Maybe you should read my comment again as I said iPhones 5s and below. i never mentioned the 6 or 6 plus. An iPhone 4/4s screen costs €20/25 and a screen replacement is about €30-50 including fitting. Is that not close to a 100% mark up??? And if they take a hour or 10 mins to fit, you still get charged the same price! If you want we take another example, cost of the cable for a home button, less than €4 for most iphones and including fitting your looking at €20+. Please tell me how the cost of labour isn't the significant factor there????

• Advertisement

cormacc wrote: »
    Maybe you should read my comment again as I said iPhones 5s and below. i never mentioned the 6 or 6 plus. An iPhone 4/4s screen costs €20/25 and a screen replacement is about €30-50 including fitting. Is that not close to a 100% mark up??? And if they take a hour or 10 mins to fit, you still get charged the same price! If you want we take another example, cost of the cable for a home button, less than €4 for most iphones and including fitting your looking at €20+. Please tell me how the cost of labour isn't the significant factor there????

In the case of buttons its different because the parts are cheap and you have to open the phone to install them so in their case its almost 100% labour charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Potus

Hi. I've used ExpressTech on baggott street lower opposite bank of Ireland in the past and found them great. They can do an hour turn around service for battery replacement but they do most other repairs for iPhones. My mute switch was gone at that time and although I forgot to ask them to repair it they did it anyway and at no extra cost. They have a good name and their repairs are warrantied as far as I can remember. Their prices are certainly not of the "cheap" variety but I'd sooner have the peace of mind in having my phone fixed by a reputable repair shop. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Here is a guide price on the cost of parts directly from china, factor in duty and shipping. you can see original parts are 50%+ more expensive than AAA quality(more like **** quality) so if one shop's price seems very cheap its most likely an inferior part being used.
    Where some people are ok with this, I personally wouldn't want a crappy part on my expensive phone.
    2cdtz4p.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27 fraucan

I need to have a DVD Recorder/Player checked out and repaired.
    I was told that there is someone in Baggot Street, or Baggot Lane, who is supposed to be very good.
    Could anyone help me with a Phone number or name PLEASE.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

fraucan wrote: »
    I need to have a DVD Recorder/Player checked out and repaired.
    I was told that there is someone in Baggot Street, or Baggot Lane, who is supposed to be very good.
    Could anyone help me with a Phone number or name PLEASE.

This forum is for iPhones and iPads, probably not the type of repair shop you're looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

I've used fixez in nut grove shopping centre, good service and reasonably priced

Advertisement