Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oryx wrote: »
    I don't know what that means but I hope it means your kickin my ass too. Cos I deserve it. :) Have a lovely balmy swim. Your day in the chilly Irish sea will come. I promise. :)

I was choked up by the beautiful and tender moment between an athlete and her coach. It was a Hallmark moment, really.

Irish Sea? Oh for goodness sake....never ever let Ms. Iron Woman know your weak spot....... Sounds lovely. Can't wait really. Note to self: pack the PolarHeat Extra Large Hot Packs to stuff in my bathing suit pre Irish Sea dunking. ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I was choked up by the beautiful and tender moment between an athlete and her coach. It was a Hallmark moment, really.

Irish Sea? Oh for goodness sake....never ever let Ms. Iron Woman know your weak spot....... Sounds lovely. Can't wait really. Note to self: pack the PolarHeat Extra Large Hot Packs to stuff in my bathing suit pre Irish Sea dunking. ;)
    Ah, youre allowed a wetsuit. And hot whiskey afterwards. ;)

I suppose everyone has a love/hate relationship with their trainer. But the clever bugger did his final chat/prizegiving end of training season pep talk after the pool was covered, cos I had promised him, he was going in.

Woke this morning feeling like I the imaginary horses that trampled me the other day had been back for more. To anyone contemplating IM training, you know the way they say pain is your friend? Well it doesnt just mean when training, it means that at certain points in the plan you ache, all over, all the time. Not in an injury way, just in a 'my muscles hate me' way.

Turboed this morning. A light and pleasant spin in Z2 because my legs refused to do anything more. 55 mins. I do wonder if these sessions are of much benefit, but I know to my cost I cant do a lot of intensity and stay in one piece. So this was a concession made because of the hard weekend.

My muscles still hate me. But I got around town tonight for a run. 10.62 in 58 minutes. Started off steady enough but my legs tired very quickly. From 5k it was a bit of a slog as I hit a lot of hills, and I only picked up the pace again at the end.

Now my body is crying out for sleep. Its been a long day. And 6am we get up and do it all again.

I'm finding it hard to really settle into the pain cave this week. Yeah my legs are tired but the head is the problem. Will keep working on it. Turbo. 60 mins. Up thru gears. Sweaty and tough.

Another run tonight. Same pace as last night but the legs felt a lot fresher. An enjoyable 7 miles in 64 minutes.

• Advertisement

Of the three disciplines, is running your strong suit? You've got really strong running times, but you appear to run the least miles comparatively speaking with respect to swimming and cycling.

Definitely running is my strong suit, only started a few years ago but fell into it pretty easily. The other two I really started at zero (or minus numbers :) ), both were brand new things I had to learn from scratch and its been a struggle. But the bike does help with the running. (tho not the other way around I find) I know I'll never be fantastic at either of them but at least I have my best discipline last. :)

And I agree....the bike does seem to help with running, but based on my poor performance on the bike last Sunday, running does not appear to help cycling. :(

Disappointing swim this morning. Hadn't the energy to work hard, so it was a slow difficult set. I am being told to work on speed with sprint sets but honestly today was not the day for it. Right now the body feels like I swam twice the distance I actually did. 2k in an hour. Pathetic! :) Yeah yeah I know its probably just post race fatigue. But it sucks that I'm so slow!

Don't worry about how crappy and tired you are feeling. With all the work you've been putting in, and all the hours of training you've been doing, and all the races you've had recently, you are right on time to be "struggling" with things. The good news is, this too shall pass. When we fight through our bad sessions and low points, we come out the other end stronger - and that's exactly the path you are on. Keep up the awesome work. You're doing fantastic, Ms. Iron Woman. :)

• Advertisement

Aw now I'm all verklewotsit. :) I know it will all work out one way or the other and I know its to be expected. And I'd rather it happen now than earlier on. I expected to overcook ages ago, so this not bad at all. :)

Early morning run today. Felt like bringing my duvet along, I was so sleepy. It was windy and cold, which I quite like, and it woke me up. Legs are still heavy and tired, so it was just an average plod. I must start bringing my hrm with me because I think I need to know what way my hr is on these days when its a real effort. It might tell me if its real or perceived fatigue. :) 13.6k, 71 minutes

Brings me up to a reasonable run total this week. Now if I can only get my bike hours done! Speaking of the bike, I changed the tyres on it last night. I wont say Im a clumsy mechanic or anything, but I now have raw knuckles and busted fingernails. I think I need more practice... How I got that punture done in a few minutes I just dont know!

Also got that 'functional screening' done last night. It was quite comical. There was I thinking I has the perfect physique of an ageing athlete ;), and it turns out that I have wonky muscles all over the shop. Work needed in various different spots. But its a good thing to know, and it did explain why I get certain aches and pains after tough training and races. Interesting stuff.

Long bike today. Because of my state of mind this week I didn't give a rats ass about the speed, this was just about time on the road. Another windy day, which I had to my back on the way out. So a lovely hard workout on the way home. Straightforward 2.5 hr out then turn and come home. Today I wanted to do a nutrition experiment so everything was natural. No sports drink or gels etc. Took a homemade fruit juice drink, nuts and raisins, and a flapjack. It worked really well, kept me full and feeling good. I didn't come home ravenous and raiding the fridge and did feel good enough to do a run. Tho I didn't run cos there woulda been war in my house :)

Distance 119km time 5.14 but this does not include a good few stops and a short tea break. ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Excellent stuff. Glad I'm not doing an IM, 5 hour bikes. Ugh.

Excellent stuff. Glad I'm not doing an IM, 5 hour bikes. Ugh.
    They are surprisingly doable once you get your head around them. Though I suppose it all depends on the effort too. :)

Getting your head around it is the thing alright, I could stay out for a run for 3.5 hours no bother but anything longer than 3 hours on the bike feels like an eternity. I find cycling awfully lonely and when you only have a vague plan "ah sure I'll do a 3.5 hour cycle today" it's easy to take the early turn home when you've no one else with you.

All about the effort though, my fast mostly flat 2 hours yesterday was far more beneficial than climbing up the wicklow hills would have been(thats what I'm telling myself today). I don't think there's any benefit to cycling up hills at like 2kph anyway. :D

Hate to break it to ya but hill work is the best thing to do to build strength. I hate it too tho!

Sure I can do it tomorrow. Thats what bank holiday Mondays are for. :)

Plan was to go out today on the hills with the fast bike still in my legs, but being the party animal I am and staying up till 2:30 am doing an assignment there was no chance of me hitting the hills today. :D

Do you have a garmin log the bike leg of vitruvian btw? I'm still holding out hope I can make it over, might as well prepare myself for the torture. Only 4 months away, where did the time go?

I didn't use a garmin for it but I know I found a garmin map online for it last year. I liked the bike course. Two loops with only two major hills and a lovely fast bit midway thru. Be nothing to you.

The run is dead flat, another two lap route which is a bit of a headwreck. In fact the swim is two loops too. They seem to love making us do everything twice.

Had it in my head to try and crack out a long swim today. Its time to see if I can do big numbers. Went to have a go at the following set (3k):
    500 pull
    5 x 200
    2 x 300
    1 x 400
    1 x 500
    All sets were supposed to be threshold effort plus 2 - 3 seconds, with 20 seconds rest. Seeing as I'm not sure what that is for me, I just worked on maintaining effort throughout.

I had done 100 warm up to start and when I finished the set I kept going, working back down through the 'pyramid'.
    1 x 300
    3 x 200
    This brought me to a round figure of 4k. Longest swim to date and a good number to have got to just for confidence. I was tired finishing up but no real tiredness or after effects since apart from REALLY needing a cup of tea :)

• Advertisement

The girl is growing gills!! Well done! :D

Didn't train this morning, I was feeling a bit off and wrecked tired. So I listened to the body which was easy when it meant staying in bed. I ran after work though, I had hoped to do about 1hr 45 but I felt really rough during it and got progressively worse so I plodded to just over 17k in 96 minutes. Have felt ill since. Bloody delicate tum. :( I'm cold and shivering and tired now, and hoping this is just a temporary blip and not a proper dose coming on. Am I going in the sea this week? Am I fk. Even the shower felt cold tonight!

Eight hours sleep and the world looks rosy again, thankfully. Hopefully thats all that was wrong. Seems I can't do even a semi late night at the moment or it all goes wrong.

Turbo this morning. One hour of pushing gears. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Eight hours sleep and the world looks rosy again, thankfully. .

:D

Eight hours sleep and the world looks rosy again, thankfully. Hopefully thats all that was wrong. Seems I can't do even a semi late night at the moment or it all goes wrong.

Turbo this morning. One hour of pushing gears. Nice.

:eek: is that possible?

:eek: is that possible?
    Dont get me wrong. There were recovery intervals.:D

Swam tonight. In a pool. Like I said, the sea in 9 degree weather and piddlin rain sure isn't my cup of tea right now. A wuss I may be, but I'm a warm wuss. So 2100m of drills and straight sets, nothing formal because boy was I feeling it. Swim is the discipline where fatigue shows up most. The funny thing was tho, that once I knew I was nearly done I picked up the effort and did some good 100m reps. The mind is a curious thing. It dictates how well you train much more than your body.

Turbo again today. I won't lie - this week is tough. Tired getting up, tired on the bike. But this is the process of adaptation, isn't it? One hour. Meant to be high cad, I struggled to hold it but then I always do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Wells Delicious Gazelle

Turbo again today. I won't lie - this week is tough. Tired getting up, tired on the bike. But this is the process of adaptation, isn't it? One hour. Meant to be high cad, I struggled to hold it but then I always do.

We are both at similar stages of our A IM races. Stick with it, think about it you have 4 more weeks of work and then into taper phase. Almost there!!

• Advertisement

We are both at similar stages of our A IM races. Stick with it, think about it you have 4 more weeks of work and then into taper phase. Almost there!!
    Not losing heart, I know this is the hardest push of the whole game. But right now, 4 weeks is loooong! :p My mother keeps nagging me that Im killing myself. My husband wont even mention the subject of IM. My brothers think Im mad. My friends never see me. My kids keep saying 'mammy, why are you always going out to train?'. My house is falling down from lack of housekeeping and we are all running out of clean socks. And through it all Im getting up at 6am to turbo.

Sometimes I just need a hug. :D

Advertisement