Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Ok let’s put it this way he has not performed better than those who Kidney has in the past ignored despite at the time being much more experienced than Kilcoyne is at present.

Has Court really been ignored in the past though?

I do think he's hard done by but Kilcoyne will offer a bit more off the bench I feel

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭geekington

Weather could play a massive part in this game - the BOKs will kick the leather off the ball so if its wet will be interesting! First start for full back, inexperieced props on the bench.......shudder!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

What's the logic then that makes you so confident that Gilroy is definitely a better 15 than Zebo?

Gilroy has played provincially at 15 Zebo has not

Zebo could be a truly inspired selection at 15 but he has never played there before so I'm going to panic until he impresses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Quint2010 wrote: »

Sorry but I just can't see it. Kidney picking players on form? Being innovative? Dropping ROG and DOC? Hope I am wrong but not going to happen
    If he was truely picking on form, would there not be a case for Jackson & Sexton swapping places?

Lelantos wrote: »
    If he was truely picking on form, would there not be a case for Jackson & Sexton swapping places?

oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

haha, nah Sexton might not be in his best form. But he's still a far superior player and proven on the International stage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

geekington wrote: »
    Weather could play a massive part in this game - the BOKs will kick the leather off the ball so if its wet will be interesting! First start for full back, inexperieced props on the bench.......shudder!
    Conditions are set to be dry. Chilly with a bit of a swirler in the north end of stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,832 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Has Court really been ignored in the past though?

I do think he's hard done by but Kilcoyne will offer a bit more off the bench I feel

Not talking about Court but rather the litany of players who have been outperforming the incumbents but have been ignored or brought in painfully slowly by Kidney. I struggle to think of a player who could be described as “inexperienced” who has been fast tracked into the Irish side over the last few years who has not been playing for Munster (I’m ignoring Ruddock as he was capped due to a litany of injuries, being both close and fit due to the under 20’s WC and to block him from playing for Wales, he also hasn’t been near the starting squad since).

He's good for impact but not for a gamble of playing for 70 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Heroditas

JustinDee wrote: »
    Chilly with a bit of a swirler in the north end of stadium.

I knew we should never have redeveloped that stadium.
    In the good old days, the swirler would have affected the whole pitch! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Four months ago Paddy Jackson had a total meltdown in The Heineken Cup Final. Sexton had done well enough this season to keep his place on form.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭JRant

JustinDee wrote: »
    Conditions are set to be dry. Chilly with a bit of a swirler in the north end of stadium.

Should still be a bit greasy though. As the mother would say, there's no drying out in this weather.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Justin, when is the team announcement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Well considering how well and long Sexton had to perform to get a consistant run poor Jackson has 3 years and 2 HEC's to go before that happens ;)

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

JRant wrote: »
    Well considering how well and long Sexton had to perform to get a consistant run poor Jackson has 3 years and 2 HEC's to go before that happens ;)

3 HECs!

What's the logic then that makes you so confident that Gilroy is definitely a better 15 than Zebo?

Well I didn't specify that Gilroy is a better fullback, but since you ask it would be the same logic that says Zebo will be a good full back, i.e. he has all the skills for it, and since Gilroy is a better winger than Zebo, I'm extending it to assume he would be a better FB.

Oh, and Craig Gilroy played full-back for Ireland U20s. Does that count?

Maybe one of the Ulster lads can tell us if he's played there provincially?

Well I didn't specify that Gilroy is a better fullback, but since you ask it would be the same logic that says Zebo will be a good full back, i.e. he has all the skills for it, and since Gilroy is a better winger than Zebo, I'm extending it to assume he would be a better FB.

Is he? Think Zebo has surpassed him this year

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭bilston

JRant wrote: »

The Sexton v Jackson debate is coming...mark my words it is...it may send the internet forums into metldown but it hasn't arrived yet...anything can happen of course but it's still 12 months away IMO and possibly longer...Sexton is very much nailed on and IMO is the best out half in Europe...In saying that I'd really love to see him single handedly win a game on his own for Ireland which you could argue he hasn't done yet but he's still the main man with a bit to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Greg Feek is with the Irish setup. I'm sure if Kilcoyne has any major issues he won't make the bench. Let's remember these are still just rumours.

Kidney definitely seems to promote Munster players quicker than others. I don't think there's any doubt in that at all any more. It took Cian Healy 2 years of rugby at Leinster to get picked for Ireland. He wasn't even picked on the Irish summer tour to America after he started in the Heineken Cup final. I think Bryan Young was picked ahead of him! It's a bit ridiculous.

I'm happy for Kilcoyne to be involved though. If Feek is signing off on his scrummaging then I really don't have a major issue with him playing if it turns out he is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

bilston wrote: »
    The Sexton v Jackson debate is coming...mark my words it is...it may send the internet forums into metldown but it hasn't arrived yet...anything can happen of course but it's still 12 months away IMO and possibly longer...

Hopefully it will turn into a royal rumble of Sexton v Jackson v Madigan v Keatley to be honest.

I don't think he's started at FB but he's certainly come on or moved to FB a few times during matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The Sexton v Jackson debate is coming...mark my words it is...it may send the internet forums into metldown but it hasn't arrived yet...anything can happen of course but it's still 12 months away IMO and possibly longer...Sexton is very much nailed on and IMO is the best out half in Europe...In saying that I'd really love to see him single handedly win a game on his own for Ireland which you could argue he hasn't done yet but he's still the main man with a bit to spare.

I'd hate to see him winning a game on his own. That would mean the rest if the lads aren't doing their job. This is a team sport.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Hopefully it will turn into a royal rumble of Sexton v Jackson v Madigan v Keatley to be honest.

I remember the old battles between Elwood and Burke and the Elwood and Humphreys and then Humphreys and ROG and then there was the period from about 2005 until 2009 when ROG was very much alone, then came along Sexton to take on O'Gara.

But the point is there was always at best two options...now moving forward we have Sexton, Jackson, Madigan and Keatley, heck while he'll never be in contention Gareth Steenson is going great guns in England and the signs look promising for Stuart Olding in the future and I haven't even mentioned Hanrahan, but I see him as a 12 myself but Munster fans who seem him more seem to think differently. The future is very bright at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Greg Feek is with the Irish setup. I'm sure if Kilcoyne has any major issues he won't make the bench. Let's remember these are still just rumours.

Kidney definitely seems to promote Munster players quicker than others. I don't think there's any doubt in that at all any more. It took Cian Healy 2 years of rugby at Leinster to get picked for Ireland. He wasn't even picked on the Irish summer tour to America after he started in the Heineken Cup final. I think Bryan Young was picked ahead of him! It's a bit ridiculous.

I'm happy for Kilcoyne to be involved though. If Feek is signing off on his scrummaging then I really don't have a major issue with him playing if it turns out he is.

I don't buy that squad. POC playing but not captain, Court dropped in favour of Kilcoyne and ROG & DOC dropped completely just don't look like calls DK would make.

It could be that their meeting a while back was much more honest and direct leading to this, and I'd be very happy if that was the case, but until/unless I see that squad and an impressive approach to the game I won't be getting too excited. While I still see issues in the selections myself its mainly opinion, and it's not glaringly obvious issues.

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Is he? Think Zebo has surpassed him this year

You didn't see the Ulster game on Friday I'd imagine. Either way, Gilroy was streets ahead of Zebo last season (and got no recognition); I don't believe that one has improved and the other regressed that much.

I'll just make it clear at this this point that I'm not having a go at Zebo; he's in fine form, no question, I'm just questioning the rationale behind some of the rumoured selections.

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'd hate to see him winning a game on his own. That would mean the rest if the lads aren't doing their job. This is a team sport.

Yes I did think that when I posted it but I suppose I'd like to see him dominate games more regularly like he did against England in 2011. However while it's an easy get out I genuinely think he isn't given the freedom to do it.

For all the talk about selections for this weekend what I'm most interested in is how we play the game. Will we have a different gameplan and approach? Will we play more of an offloading game like the provinces are now doing, or will it be hit a ruck, pick and go, pick and go, hit a runner, pick and go and then kick it away like it's been recently. When we do pick and go I'd like to see it speeded up a bit. We're too slow at the breakdown, whether that's Murray or team orders I don't know but let's quicken things up a bit please. That IMO is more interesting than the selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,832 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I don’t think it will be near as contentious as ROG v Sexton as there isn’t such a massive difference in playing style, player limitations in certain aspects of their game, one on a downward slope or the claims of provincial bias due to the coach.

You didn't see the Ulster game on Friday I'd imagine. Either way, Gilroy was streets ahead of Zebo last season (and got no recognition); I don't believe that one has improved and the other regressed that much.

I'll just make it clear at this this point that I'm not having a go at Zebo; he's in fine form, no question, I'm just questioning the rationale behind some of the rumoured selections.

I did actually. Gilroy was fantastic but Zebo has been in better form all season and I don't for a second buy into this theory that he was streets ahead of Zebo last season.

I don't think Gilroy has regressed. I just think Zebo's improved defense, positioning and leadership have now made him a better player.

Plus I don't think Gilroy can have many qualms about not being picked over Zebo when he can't oust Trimble from an Ulster starting shirt. Although I don think he offers more than Trimble

Plenty of people forget that at the start of the year, Zebo was far from guaranteed his place at Munster. And I think his form has been a big reason why we haven't seen Earls on the wing this year

molloyjh wrote: »
    I don't buy that squad. POC playing but not captain, Court dropped in favour of Kilcoyne and ROG & DOC dropped completely just don't look like calls DK would make.

It could be that their meeting a while back was much more honest and direct leading to this, and I'd be very happy if that was the case, but until/unless I see that squad and an impressive approach to the game I won't be getting too excited. While I still see issues in the selections myself its mainly opinion, and it's not glaringly obvious issues.

Some of the calls would surprise me but I could see Deccie not making POC captain. There must be a chance that he won't last past 50-60 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I saw the Ulster game on Friday. I also saw all the (televised) Munster games this season. As well as Gilroy last season. Zebo is starting regularly and playing well this season, he has a big impact in almost every game. On the other hand, last season GIlroy had a good few quiet games and this season he's not playing enough rugby. If you're picking on form then Zebo has to be ahead of him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

12.30pm Thursday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement