Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Knives and Forks Upright or downwards in Dishwasher!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Forks and dinner knives up. Sharp knives down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Up , nothin like the bit of danger when loading the crap in there when your locked:D. For some reason Im compelled to load the dishwasher when I come in from a night on the sauce:confused:.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Forks definitely up - otherwise they protude through the rack (and as mentioned previously ultimately damage it)
    Normal knives go both ways with me (same with spoons - if they all go down they tend to stick together and not wash properly). Sharp knives point down.

What really gets me is when someone in the household (who shall remain nameless) puts the long knives in at such an angle they catch the "propellor thingy" - can't be good for the machine or its efficiency

She
    That person also overfills the whole damn thing, then puts it on a 30 minute cycle, and wonders why half the items come out dirty

If only they included lessons on how to fill a dishwasher in domestic science!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I don't concern myself with the trivialities of domestic husbandry.

I look after household security and electronic product maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Don't use one, but if I had to, I'd put ordinary tableware handle down,steak knives etc point down

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

From: http://www.watoday.com.au/national/child-impaled-in-freak-dishwasher-accident-20090526-blj2.html
    A five-year-old girl is in a stable condition after a freak accident in which she was impaled on a knife in a dishwasher.

Police say the child tripped on the open door of the dishwasher and fell onto the blade of a knife in the cutlery rack.

She is the daughter of a police officer stationed at Eulo in south-west Queensland.

The accident happened around 7.30pm on Monday at the police residence attached to the police station.

Police from Cunnamulla and an ambulance came to her aid and the girl was stabilised before the Royal Flying Doctor Service took her to Brisbane, where she underwent surgery at the Mater Children's Hospital.

/thread

She's stable.

/Opens thread.

If it was a Crocodile Dundee knife, fair enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jenga-jen

Forks and dinner knives up. Sharp knives down.

+1 third option on poll needed!

Ever had the stabby fright of an upwards pointing sharp knife in an unfamiliar dishwasher? Unpleasant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The cutlery rack can be removed. In fact its designed to be removed when removing the cutlery.

And what kind of a twit leaves the door of the dishwasher open with the knives exposed when his 5-year old is nearby.

I said it before:
    1. Open Door
    2. Take out cutlery rack
    3. Empty cutlery rack
    4. Allow 5-year old into kitchen.

You have to pass a test to drive a car but anyone can have kids.

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Up. They get washed better that way :P

The dirt doesn't flow from the handle to the part you eat with, nor does it get stuck at the bottom etc etc.

• Advertisement

Up. They get washed better that way :P

The dirt doesn't flow from the handle to the part you eat with, nor does it get stuck at the bottom etc etc.

I think we finally found something we agree on.

syklops wrote: »
    You have to pass a test to drive a car but anyone can have kids.

Have any yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

These days I eat everything with my fingers off the cardboard box it was delivered in so this debate holds little relevance for me.

stovelid wrote: »
    Have any yourself?

Whats that got to do with anything?

Whats that got to do with anything?

I was hoping to pick up some parenting tips. Seeing as you have a five year old and have never once made an error of judgment or mistake.

You could do a book or TV series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I was hoping to pick up some parenting tips. Seeing as you have a five year old and have never once made an error of judgment or mistake.

You could do a book or TV series.

Tone it down.

If you want parenting tips try the Parenting forum. :)

TheZohan wrote: »

If you want parenting tips try the Parenting forum. :)

I don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I don't.

But.... but..... you said. :confused:

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    But.... but..... you said. :confused:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

Definetley down, can't stand the sight of an upright sharp knife!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Where's the 'I can't afford a dishwasher:(:(' option?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Easy knowing the recession isn't affecting you.

How much more does it cost to run a dish washer on economy mode,
    versus filling a basin with hot water?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Down if you have kids. Always think safety people....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I think i just figured a good way to get away with murder........Up right knives and water everywhere......

I am doing the dish washing from now on....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

DOWN!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

T-Square wrote: »

But then you have to run hot water on each utensil to get the dirty water and suds off....

and Fairy does fúck all for my hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Up. Except really sharp knives that can puncture your wrist if you reach in for something. Those go lying down in the top drawer in the machine in my house.

How much more does a dishwasher cost over a basin?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Everyone has a dish washer, and the don't cost much, if any, more than a basin. So why not use it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Down, for safety
    Everyone has a dish washer, and the don't cost much, if any, more than a basin. So why not use it?

Somehow I don't think the price of a dishwasher is the same price as a basin...

Advertisement