Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Divorce:how to start, how long to wait

Options
  • 08-06-2015 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi there,
    What would be the first step to start the process of separation when period starts counting and what would be the minimum amount of time to wait?
    Me and my wife both want it to be done fast and I am living abroad at the moment.
    Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 John from ennis

Decorus wrote: »
    Hi there,
    What would be the first step to start the process of separation when period starts counting and what would be the minimum amount of time to wait?
    Me and my wife both want it to be done fast and I am living abroad at the moment.
    Many thanks
    forgive me for sticking my nose in,but i too am abroad,as is my wife. both irish citizens. does separation have a meaning in divorce? as i plan to divorce my wife,not in the country im in btw.

will be following this thread. good luck to yous.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Decorus

forgive me for sticking my nose in,but i too am abroad,as is my wife. both irish citizens. does separation have a meaning in divorce? as i plan to divorce my wife,not in the country im in btw.

This is very interesting for me also. We are both Irish, however I am abroad now but she is in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 guest1980

Hi,

I recently did a DIY divorce. I started in early February and the divorce was granted at the end of April so roughly three months. I think it depends on the county though.

guest1980 wrote: »
    Hi,

I recently did a DIY divorce. I started in early February and the divorce was granted at the end of April so roughly three months. I think it depends on the county though.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! Did you have to live separately for a certain period of time before you applied for a DIY divorce?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Junglewoman

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! Did you have to live separately for a certain period of time before you applied for a DIY divorce?

You need to be living separate lives for 4 of the previous 5 years even if you were living under the same roof. If this is an amicable situation you can agree a date when the marriage effectively broke down.

• Advertisement

You need to be living separate lives for 4 of the previous 5 years even if you were living under the same roof. If this is an amicable situation you can agree a date when the marriage effectively broke down.
    Thank you! And how do you have to prove if you need to prove separate living? In the amicable situation if agreed can be any date?

Thank you! And how do you have to prove if you need to prove separate living? In the amicable situation if agreed can be any date?
    You need to be honest, you both will know when things broke down. Be mindful of the legal consequences of a divorce. If you don't have children it will be less complicated. The splitting of assets, what happens to the family home, pensions and any support either party may pay to the other. It is not a simple quick fix to end the marriage. You won't be single, you will be divorced and under Irish law divorces can be revisited. Make sure you both get advice, I have been through the process and it is stressful even if it is what you both want and chances are you won't agree on everything.

You can have a legal separation prior to divorcing that will cover you in the interim if you have not been separated for the minimum required period. This legal separation can form the basis of your divorce so you will have everything in place.

Advertisement