Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ferguson Ariva 120 Users Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask, but does anyone know where the best place to get a couple of these combo boxes at a good price is? And what would be the standard charge for having them installed? I've a Sky dish already but I think it may be damaged or out of alignment.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

More specific?

How many boxes? how many rooms etc...

I'd definately choose a reputable installer like satellite.ie, satworld.ie, freesat.ie etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

shblob wrote: »
    More specific?

How many boxes? how many rooms etc...

I'd definately choose a reputable installer like satellite.ie, satworld.ie, freesat.ie etc..

Apologies, shblob. 2 boxes, 2 rooms.

Do you know if the installers you mentioned do standalone installs? Would it be better/cheaper to source the boxes myself?

I know all of the companies above are good to deal with, It could be cheaper to buy them yourselves, you would be best ringing them and asking for a quote with, and without the boxes. For 2 rooms, including boxes & installation I'd say around €450-550.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭dodzy

I know all of the companies above are good to deal with, It could be cheaper to buy them yourselves, you would be best ringing them and asking for a quote with, and without the boxes. For 2 rooms, including boxes & installation I'd say around €450-550.

I think that's a bit rich considering what was requested sh:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

I bought my Ariva 120 from satellite.ie I've been using them for 6 years or so and find them excellent to deal with.

Check put this page for installation costs.

http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/Ferguson_ariva_120_installed.html

MJ

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Not sure why, but I can't get BC HD or BBC1 HD. They're tuned in, but when I try to watch them I'm getting on on screen message stating ''No Signal''. The signal strength and quality bars are very low as well;
    nM4e8l.jpg

Any pointers would be welcome. I'm getting ITV1 HD with no problem, by the way!

Did you try re-scanning them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Did you try re-scanning them?
    Several times.

Are they the only 2 channels? or are there others not working?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭doctorwu

Channel 4 HD has disappeared for me also. Does this happen all the time. Rescanning all
    the time is a pain.

It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen. They are free channels, it is to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

doctorwu wrote: »
    Channel 4 HD has disappeared for me also. Does this happen all the time. Rescanning all
    the time is a pain.
    Didn't Channel 4hd move in the last couple of weeks?
    Also, think there are 2 BBC HDs, one blank and the right one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Didn't Channel 4hd move in the last couple of weeks?
    Also, think there are 2 BBC HDs, one blank and the right one.
    We have a winner. :cool:

Re-scanning won't do diddly, lol.

You have to manually re-enter them using the new tuning details
    Channel4 HD
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75596163&postcount=7

BBC 1 and BBC HD
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75836713&postcount=136

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pryanTI

Hi
    Am an infrequent poster but want to say thanks to all for this thread, it has been very useful in my decision-making around purchasing a combi box. I have gone with the Ferguson and so far so good. However, i do have a question regarding the PVR function. My folks will be using it so they have no interest in using an external hard drive (and all the storage with that), a USB 2.0 will be fine for their needs. My question is this ... can I use 16gb without issue? Also does pause work with USB 2.0 or is it EHD only?
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭b318isp

Just to note that an hour of HD is around 7-8Gb, SD 3-4Gb so capacity maybe an issue. I've used USB 2.0 with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

pryanTI wrote: »
    Hi
    Am an infrequent poster but want to say thanks to all for this thread, it has been very useful in my decision-making around purchasing a combi box. I have gone with the Ferguson and so far so good. However, i do have a question regarding the PVR function. My folks will be using it so they have no interest in using an external hard drive (and all the storage with that), a USB 2.0 will be fine for their needs. My question is this ... can I use 16gb without issue? Also does pause work with USB 2.0 or is it EHD only?
    Thanks in advance

Yes a USB stick will work perfectly with the Ariva 120, I've used up to a 32GB USB with no problems. Yes it can also be used to be pause and rewind live tv, the only problem is that with this feature turned on all the time using a memory stick, is that you can burn the flash memory out with it being constantly written to.

If that is a feature you really need then you're much better off getting an external hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Last time I checked you can turn off the automatic pause in the settings which *should* stop the USB stick from being constantly accessed, while still allowing Pause to work ...... it just won't have the few previous seconds.

The main point is ...... if the USB stick is being constantly accessed, which hopefully may be indicated by a LED on the stick, then it will get damaged rather quickly.

So I strongly recommend that you turn off, whatever needs to be turned off, in the settings to ensure this constant access does not happen.

An external HDD is the better option ..... but make sure it has its own power supply and is not dependent on the USB socket to power it.

regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bandon1

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SAINTRON

bandon1 wrote: »

Please do with installation instructions....:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

SAINTRON wrote: »
    Please do with installation instructions....:)

Installation is very easy!

(1) Decompress the ZIP-file and copy software file to the USB portable memory.
    (2) Plug USB portable memory into USB port of receiver.
    (3) Go to Menu->Tools->Upgrade By USB

n50n40.gif

(4) As upgrade mode choose: Allcode+bootloader
    (5) Select the firmware file
    (6) Press start to upgrade receiver

15wkthj.gif

(7) Please wait... After the upgrade is done successfully the receiver will reboot automatically

Also just to remember, do not upload channel lists which are created and stored on earlier versions of the software! Uploading the "old" channel lists can cause errors in the receiver, or even permanent damage!

Any news Bandon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 P0

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Also just to remember, do not upload channel lists which are created and stored on earlier versions of the software! Uploading the "old" channel lists can cause errors in the receiver, or even permanent damage!

Does anybody know if this also applies to lists generated by the channel editor application? It has not being updated.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Has anyone any idea of what that update does? Would be nice to know if it was any good use, before installing it and having to do a rescan:(

I did a factory reset after install and then did scan of DTT and all the Astra satellites. So far so good. But I think the box has a hardware fault, it's so unstable and I'll be returning this week unless the new firmware pulls some miracle. If it has crashed by the morning (which it usually does after an hour or two) then I'll return it.

P0 wrote: »
    Does anybody know if this also applies to lists generated by the channel editor application? It has not being updated.:confused:

I would say not. Plug away with the channel editor to your hearts content.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭applewoodgo

Has anyone any idea of what that update does? Would be nice to know if it was any good use, before installing it and having to do a rescan:(

Yes, it would indeed, but I'm afraid we will never know. I have my box since last May and I have posted such questions here since then and I have also emailed Ferguson many times and got no answers.
    Pretty disgraceful, really. Does anyone on this forum know who the Official Distrubitors are for this Country?? We might get answers there!

I did a factory reset after install and then did scan of DTT and all the Astra satellites. So far so good. But I think the box has a hardware fault, it's so unstable and I'll be returning this week unless the new firmware pulls some miracle. If it has crashed by the morning (which it usually does after an hour or two) then I'll return it.

Update: This morning, after leaving it on all night (non-standby), it was ok and I could still change channel. I then set up a few simple DTT and satellite recordings across the morning on an externally powered USB HDD. But I just checked and it it completely hung again.

It fools you into thinking that all is ok because the AV and Demux are working away but the main CPU is belly-up and will (as always) require a power-down and wait before it'll work again. My guess is overheating. I'll return it this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Hi Guys,
    Got one of these last week. Works fine with the satellite channels (I already have sky), but I'm not getting any signal with the terrestrial.
    The seller says I'll need a higher gain aerial, indoor aerials in the north side generally do not perform well.

Bit disappointed, don't want to have to get an attic or external aerial.

The only think is I have one of these for my laptop:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/1-PC-DVB-T-USB-Dongle-Watch-and-Record-Digital-TV-49-99-NOW-ONLY-34-99-/150709325317?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_205&hash=item2316f9ce05
    Which has a pathetic looking aerial (to me!), but works fine, from the same location.

edit:
    I'm using this indoor antenna as well as the one above:
    http://www.maxview.co.uk/products/info_C3010.html
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Try a manual terrestrial scan and see what signal and quality readings you are getting

bbbbb wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Got one of these last week. Works fine with the satellite channels (I already have sky),

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Advertisement