Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hockey anyone?

• 24-11-2011 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Right so apparently the Castleknock area is getting an ice rink , and if they can sustain it they want to keep it permanent, so in this thread I was wondering if anyone else thought of making a hockey team? of if there is anyone out there with coaching skills etc? Just wondering :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

id be up for it ,i played in boston for a bit ,broke up people i did . . . . hahahahah

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

haha that's brilliant, someone with some experience.. :) I've always wanted to play and have skated since I was young, so that's a start :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Can't skate well enough yet but I'm going to learn now and would be looking to try and start playing a bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I can go in a straight line :D thats about it, but would love to join something like this if its literally for beginners. Keep me posted ;)

ah yeah I've never played before .. and can skate just can't stop. but I like taught myself there's no training there..so probably not great.... :s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 victap8

Yeah I'm definitely up for a hockey team, played in Latvian when i was younger and doing a bit of practice by myself at home now too.

think there will be people turning up with all the good gear etc but with out the tallent, as harsh as it seems ,it being around castleknock you'll get the "dzzzope" coming in , its like a mixed martial arts class, people will drop out after the first class or session and wont go back,the novelty would wear off like most cases learning to skate is one thing but ,playing hockey is another .learn how to be good on your feet with blades ,then learn the skills of hockey,hope thats what the rink would bring, so you would see people progress. . . .

A V A wrote: »
    think there will be people turning up with all the good gear etc but with out the tallent, as harsh as it seems ,it being around castleknock you'll get the "dzzzope" coming in , its like a mixed martial arts class, people will drop out after the first class or session and wont go back,the novelty would wear off like most cases learning to skate is one thing but ,playing hockey is another .learn how to be good on your feet with blades ,then learn the skills of hockey,hope thats what the rink would bring, so you would see people progress. . . .

I see it as if it's properly organised it could be done, like first do skating drills and practise, then have separate session with stick work and shooting and then bring the 2 together say every second week so the players can have a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

victap8 wrote: »
    I see it as if it's properly organised it could be done, like first do skating drills and practise, then have separate session with stick work and shooting and then bring the 2 together say every second week so the players can have a game.

I was speaking to a hockey player recently, and he said the best hockey players are taught the skating aspect by figure skating coaches, and learn the hockey skills for a hockey coach.

victap8 wrote: »

people are jumping way ahead of the boat ,as my example of the mma class ,they are run to the highest standard ,if your coach is passionate and serious,people still drop out etc, after jumping straight in to the mma part ,with out learning the basics first ,like grappling ,boxing, muay thai ,judo!!!! its the same with being on the ice , you dont just do drills , you got to able to skate first ,and like the comment above said, you learn from figure skaters. the leg and body movement and the placement of the feet etc not saying you have to go do figure skating to play but learning how to go smoothly on your blades first before even doing stick work !!!

• Advertisement

people are jumping way ahead of the boat ,as my example of the mma class ,they are run to the highest standard ,if your coach is passionate and serious,people still drop out etc, after jumping straight in to the mma part ,with out learning the basics first ,like grappling ,boxing, muay thai ,judo!!!! its the same with being on the ice , you dont just do drills , you got to able to skate first ,and like the comment above said, you learn from figure skaters. the leg and body movement and the placement of the feet etc not saying you have to go do figure skating to play but learning how to go smoothly on your blades first before even doing stick work !!!

fair point mate.

The way i was thought to skate when i was a youngster was first by doing dry training, without skates and all, in a sports hall going up and down, going down low keeping back straight bent knees, jumping off one leg onto the other and moving the arms as if you were skating, that was thought to me by one of my hockey couches in Daugavpils, Latvia.

If there was an Olympic sized ice rink in Dublin I guarantee you it would be packed, and not with just seniors and guys from abroad.

It could be the way some coaches teach young lads that they're leaving, I don't know, maybe or maybe not!

If I were to start a hockey learn to play programme I would make it tough..dry training (not stick work) say 2-3 times a week and on ice training (if possible) 2-3 times a week, in my opinion that's not even that bad. I tell you when I played when I was about 9, we had on-ice training early in the morning before school, then school until 3, then dry in-hall training from 6-9, doing hall lengths of squats, lunges, sprints, also doing push ups etc. Doing that every day of the week and being rewarded by a match on the weekend, I loved it!

I obviously know Ireland isn't ready for this, probably won't even be ready for that kind of thing for a good bit of time but hockey enthusiasts in Ireland can have this kind of goal in their mind!

Ah I'm just rambling on now, but yeah I'm a huge fan of hockey! Im 18 now and the last time I played ice hockey was when I was 10, really want to start playing again.

very good point aswell, i think me and you are on the same page tbh , i love seeing kids getting out there and learning and having fun (im a scout leader blah blah ) etc and its good to see adults wanting to do a new sport too, but it needs to take off in ireland properly with training schemes and funds etc,let alone d15 u know, you said a good point about seniors being on the ice, i agree but when you'll get people coming up to learn ,you'll get the "mighty ducks" enthusiasts ,if you get me ? you know that will take more time and effort and taking away from the funs thats there to be had :P

very good point aswell, i think me and you are on the same page tbh , i love seeing kids getting out there and learning and having fun (im a scout leader blah blah ) etc and its good to see adults wanting to do a new sport too, but it needs to take off in ireland properly with training schemes and funds etc,let alone d15 u know, you said a good point about seniors being on the ice, i agree but when you'll get people coming up to learn ,you'll get the "mighty ducks" enthusiasts ,if you get me ? you know that will take more time and effort and taking away from the funs thats there to be had :P

Me too! the youngsters are the future to ice hockey in Ireland!

Yeah but its also hard to get these funds, and no one wants to fund(sponsor) a sport that isn't on telly or isn't popular and has no proper ice rink..its stupid i think!

IF the rink in Santry opens i think ice hockey will be on its way in Ireland, main factor being that the rink will actually be in Dublin!

And yeah i get what you mean.

I know it would take lots of training and practise etc, and a lot of people that aren't kids don't have the sort of time if they're only doing it for the fun,

My love of hockey and skating comes from the fact that I'm originally from Canada watched the speed skating and figure skating etc, and have always loved skating, yes I loved the mighty ducks but the real hockey as in the Stanley cup and what not is something I really enjoy watching and following..

obviously real hockey takes a looooooot of time,, I get that but I think it'd be great to have a team that had a bit of fun and not too serious :)

However I understand that skating is a must, and maybe dry training is the right way.. I've never done that, but I guess roller-skating from a young age helped a lot, but once people have the courage and persistence to learn they can, with or without a load of lessons... :)

Stinjy wrote: »
    I know it would take lots of training and practise etc, and a lot of people that aren't kids don't have the sort of time if they're only doing it for the fun,

My love of hockey and skating comes from the fact that I'm originally from Canada watched the speed skating and figure skating etc, and have always loved skating, yes I loved the mighty ducks but the real hockey as in the Stanley cup and what not is something I really enjoy watching and following..

obviously real hockey takes a looooooot of time,, I get that but I think it'd be great to have a team that had a bit of fun and not too serious :)

However I understand that skating is a must, and maybe dry training is the right way.. I've never done that, but I guess roller-skating from a young age helped a lot, but once people have the courage and persistence to learn they can, with or without a load of lessons... :)

What you said :P

Well atleast the IIHA are doing something..

http://iiha.org/news/article/view/id/634

People have to start coming together and organising the hockey in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Iceskater101

Castleknock on ice may be starting up a Pick up Hockey and Learn to Play program in the near future. They have already begun ice skating classes for a 7 week term and the ice is REAL!

Castleknock on ice may be starting up a Pick up Hockey and Learn to Play program in the near future. They have already begun ice skating classes for a 7 week term and the ice is REAL!

deadly! would definatly get involved in the ice hockey down there! Santry shall be opening soon too apparently..maybe in the next 2-3 weeks :D

ah santry is so far away, Castleknock is like a minute... really hope it goes ahead and I can be involved :L

Stinjy wrote: »
    ah santry is so far away, Castleknock is like a minute... really hope it goes ahead and I can be involved :L
    20 minutes on m50 from castlenock maybe?

i know this is a tad harsh but ,i know if i go down to this rink i know there be lads in canto's or baggys trying to skate around in their new top notch skates :D:D:p:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Icehockey

Hi All

We are looking to start up a team in Castleknock on Ice and need names and numbers

Please log on to facebook and search Stuart john hockey and mail us your name and number and we will get back to you
    All that you need for the min is skates.

Thanks
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 hockeymad

i know this is a tad harsh but ,i know if i go down to this rink i know there be lads in canto's or baggys trying to skate around in their new top notch skates :D:D:p:p

HAHA
    You would know you have not been down to the rink then if thats what you think

The way I look at it is
    We now have a full time rink at long last in Dublin and all you can do is knock it
    Get your skates on and get down and see for yourself

I can tell you there is about 3% of the people that go there are from castleknock

And this you say about new skates
    Why would they have old ones ? there has not been a rink here for them to have old ones so yes new ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 hockeymad

Icehockey wrote: »
    Hi All

We are looking to start up a team in Castleknock on Ice and need names and numbers

Please log on to facebook and search Stuart john hockey and mail us your name and number and we will get back to you
    All that you need for the min is skates.

Thanks
    :D

Good stuff lads
    Hey all see this new team starting up in D15

hockeymad wrote: »
    HAHA
    You would know you have not been down to the rink then if thats what you think

The way I look at it is
    We now have a full time rink at long last in Dublin and all you can do is knock it
    Get your skates on and get down and see for yourself

I can tell you there is about 3% of the people that go there are from castleknock

And this you say about new skates
    Why would they have old ones ? there has not been a rink here for them to have old ones so yes new ones

:rolleyes:

and phibsburough ,were the des kelly's is now :) that was a rink and did ice hockey and i know of a few lads that go up north aswell to play , i aint knocking it ,im being realistic to my self ,once people get wind of it ,the stereotypes come out :) thats all pal

so whose going to try out the hockey in castleknock?!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

Hi all

We are starting a learn to play for Ice Hockey in Castleknock on Ice starting at 10am for the ages of 6 and up for both Boys and Girls
    All welcome
    €7 per person attending and all should attend ready to hit the ice
    Skates can be supplied at the rink for those that do not have their own

Looking forward to seeing you there

Will there be a Ice Hockey coach?
    If so what kind of experience would said coach have?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Just to confirm, is this an all-ages type thing? Or is it just for kids?

no its for all ages but if we get enough people tere we can arrange more senior sesions during the weekdays are going to go on sat

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Just to confirm, is this an all-ages type thing? Or is it just for kids?

Hi MrJoeSoap

We are looking to start a learn to play for all ages
    If we get enough numbers we will be running a kids learn to play on Sat mornings and we can do over 18's then on a Monday , Tuesday night

If you are interested in signing up please make your way to the rink on Sat morn and we will talk more then :)

Thanks in advance
    Stuart and John

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

When Saturday 21st
    Time 10:00am until 11:30am
    Description
    Learn to play for all ages from 6 boys and girls all welcome
    Classes start at 10am so get there early to get fitted for skates if you do not have your own and to sign up
    The cost is €7 per class
    No experience needed as there will be both male and female coaches on hand
    All attending should do so dressed to hit the ice just needing skates

Is it yourself that runs the classes?

Advertisement